Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For the absolute newbie  (Read 8953 times)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: For the absolute newbie
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 06:37:18 PM »

Next time I'll bring some shrimp or something, so I can pull in some tommys to salvage the day, if the pinks aren't here yet ;)

Are you referring to the pacific tom cod.  If so , have you had much success this season or years past as i have heard they are not showing up in any numbers.
weeeeeeeeeow!

lowlight

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 06:40:08 PM »

Next time I'll bring some shrimp or something, so I can pull in some tommys to salvage the day, if the pinks aren't here yet ;)

Are you referring to the pacific tom cod.  If so , have you had much success this season or years past as i have heard they are not showing up in any numbers.
I'm thinking of pikeminnows... Someone at #3 pier pulled in 2 pikeminnows today, one of them was a fat sucker who looked to be around a foot long. They had plenty of sculpin too, and took those home. Eww, sometimes I don't understand people... To each their own I guess! My thought it, what is the sense of keeping nasty tasting bullheads when there are so much better fish out there to eat.

Oh I noticed they didn't kill the fish or gut them right away. Just tossed them in the cooler to, I assume, die eventually. I tried to suggest what I thought was the right thing to do, but nobody who caught 10 fish is going to listen to a younger guy who caught none ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 07:07:48 PM »

lowlight, a 1 foot pikeminnow is not a fat sucker. ;D Give Garry Point Park a go, it's not rare to see pikeminnows up to 2 feet around there. ;)

Regarding bullhead, they are edible, but like you said there are better fish to eat in Canada. Lately, there seem to be more oriental anglers keeping bullhead to eat, which is ok too. It's better than seeing people tossing them onto the pier and let them die eventually (just a few days ago I confronted a boy who was not even ten I think, smoking away and kicking and stepping on a sculpin that someone else caught). To them, bullhead are probably a good fish to eat considering most fish that they eat back home are herbivorous species such as carp.

Regarding leaving the fish in the cooler to die eventually, you did the right thing to advice them not to do so. It's actually illegal to leave the fish to die if you decide to keep them. You are obligated to kill them immediately.

Still a bit too early for pink salmon, especially when there are so many nets intercepting the fish. During the first two weeks of September, we should be able to find some good fishing around here.

As for a good tide chart, I like to use this one. Click on each day's tide information and you'll even get to see a graph of the tide height. This section is for Vancouver, so add about an hour to the Fraser around Richmond.

lowlight

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 07:11:10 PM »

Are pikeminnows tasty?

Actually I read on one of the fishing tour sites linked from here that even pinks are not very "desirable" for eating or for sport... what's up with that? It seems to go against what everyone else says.

Last Cast

• Live to Fish ~ Fish to Live
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 07:30:02 PM »

Hey, lowlight, here's another tide chart site for you:

http://www.tides.info/?command=view&location=steveston%2C+British+Columbia

;)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2005, 10:31:24 PM »

Sculpin is actually in the same family as lingcod.  It depends how you cook them.  Same as all other fish.
Small sculpin really doesn't have much meat but a 17" sculpin actually taste really good just like a lingcod and actually
better. (meat is softer) NPM is actually very bonie. Unless it's a biggie, then maybe worth the time to pick the bones.  :P
Pink salmon meat is a little bit on the dry side but it's alot better eating than chum.
My personal preference (best to least)
Sockeye   Chinook  Coho&Atlantic   Pink    Chum :-X

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2005, 10:37:30 PM »

Are pikeminnows tasty?

I hear they are very bony.