Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River First Nations Openings August 8th - 14th  (Read 4628 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Fraser River First Nations Openings August 8th - 14th
« on: August 11, 2005, 10:22:15 PM »

The following two links are information on the First Nations openings from August 8th to 14th.

Communal openings

Ceremonial openings

If you see drift and set nets during times outside of those openings, please phone the ORR line 1-800-465-4336.

Chris wanted me to post this for you guys and gals to read:

A open letter to Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Sirs,

I a concerned sports angler in the Chilliwack area I am am wondering with all the news the last few days of the depressed numbers of the sockeye returns the department can support all these openings listed below. Then on top of this Justice Rice noted in his judgement yesterday the Cheam bands are selling their fish anyway. To me this makes a mockery of this whole situation when conservation of the fish is supposed to come first. When will the department relealize that they are supposed to have the public trust to look after our fish stocks for all. I know if I was running a buisness I could not do it this way or I would be out of buisness in a hurry. To every from the department that reads this would you pass my concerns on and I hope for a response on how the department can justify all these openings especially when a large number of these pieces will just be illegally sold.

As well the recreational fisher who takes such a small part of the run in the long run and creates a huge economic boost to the Valley appears to be getting none this year. As well the Commercial sector whose way of life has been in commercial fishing industry for several generations are also suffering. I believe most sectors do not mind staying out of the water if the fish are in trouble which it may appear to be this year but the Dep[artment once again grants all these opening I once again have shown below and for by law for a communal fishery only, meaning no sales.    It does not just add up, in my mind anyway.

Regards,

Chris Gadsden

Are you unhappy about what you are seeing? Do what Chris does, send a letter in, and post it here for so it's on file.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fraser River First Nations Openings August 8th - 14th
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 03:04:54 PM »

Just received a phone call from the Randogs who are out fishing today. He reported the Cheam members have been drifting their nets all day long.

I told him to phone those in as the scheduled driftnet opening isn't until tomorrow.

I then phoned Chris, then DFO to confirm. Apparently Cheam First Nation has had their driftnet opening shifted earlier to today. ::)

So, just for clarification, Cheam's driftnet opening is today (Friday August 12th), the rest of the bands are drifting tomorrow (Saturday August 13th).

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 03:20:03 PM »

I must say that I am appreciative of the hard work that Rod has done in communicating information about this issue for the past little while.  I also like to thank Rod, Chris and others for their work in letter writing and phoning and putting pressure on the authorities for change.  You guys are in effect the voice for the rec fisherperson.

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 04:15:15 PM »

I second that. Thanks a lot you guys, keep up the great work on this neverending battle.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 10:59:32 AM »

Thanks. Make sure you join the battle too, by keeping updated on the readings provided and supporting the groups below. :)

Fraser Valley Salmon Society
Membership application form can be downloaded from here.

Sportfishing Defence Alliance
Donation form can be downloaded from here.

If you are looking for a group that does habitat enhancement. This maybe for you:

Chilliwack River Action Committee
Donation/membership form can be downloaded from here.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 10:59:26 PM »

My hetic and long day continued this afternoon, after doing some running around for the SDA as I reported on another thread this morning the next thing was to try to set up a guide boat to take the Chilliwack Progress photo journalist out for some pictures of the legal drift opening around Island 22. The plan was to try and go out at 3:30, well before the drift netting ended.

Phil from the BC Survival Coalition, a partner with the SDA in this battle to save our fishing opportunities had asked me to also video for our video libary some of the netting going on as well. Then when I needed it most because of all my phone calls in the morning my cel phone goes dead so I missed a call from the guide that was going to take  me and the photo journalist out on the river. Also there was a chance Global TV would like to come along but I did not hear from them before my phone died.

I finally got hold of the guide via a land line and he had got tied up with some sturgeon work so that left me to take him out in the Leaf Craft or the other or option was not to go at all.
My first thought was the latter as I was getting tired at this point of the day because  of my early start and the heat was getting to me. No air conditioning in the Leaf Mobile but then on the other hand I had sort of promised to take the Chilliwack Progress photo journalist out. I had never met him as he was filling in for Jenna who was acting editor for two weeks. So not to disappoint him I give Kari another call, explain it was to be the Leaf Craft that would be taking him out instead of the guide. He was pleased to hear that and of course it is an honour to get a ride in the Leaf Craft. ;D  ;DI told him I would meet him at Island 22 at 6.

This would not give us much time before the closing time at 8 pm and I mulled over in my mind if I should be involved in this at all. I had received a call from Frank before I reached Island 22 that there had been some trouble up Agassiz way so we would stay clear of that area.( Bill has a press release on the incident that Rodney will be posting soon if not already)

Maybe it was against against my better judgement that I had decided to go for it, not knowing what adventure would lie ahead. I rushed home, threw the unnnessary stuff out of the Leaf Craft onto the lawn and headed in the 30 degree heat towards Island 22. A quick stop at Tims for a coffee and I met Kari at 6 on the dot.

We jump into the Leaf Craft and head towards Grassy. We quickly find a FN fisher and his son picking their net and his mother's, just above Grassy Bar. After talking to them we find them to be very pleasant and I might add a real super guys.  Kari asked first before he started his picture taking, as I recommended he if do, if he could shoot a picture or two after saying he was from the Chilliwack Progress. The FN chap says "go ahead" and the boy chirps in " Will we be in the paper". Kari answers "most likely".

Kari talks to them about about drift netting that is now allowed at certain times and the dad tells him "we will be doing a drift in about 30 minutes after we unload these fish". We drift down the river for a while as he unloads his fish from the 2 set nets, that was after Kari took a few frames of pictures. I would say they got about 30 sockeye from the net, I could not spot any chinook or pinks. I am pleased to see a counter on shore at the landing site, counting and tabulating all the fish on some forms as both dad and son packs the silver sided sockeye up the bank. Do not get me wrong, I am just reporting what I am seeing as I am trying to be objective with this story.

Kari then asks them if he could get right in their boat while they do the drift. A good reporter I guess as I would not have the nerve to do so. I thought they would say no but they told him "come aboard". Kari was very happy with that so I put him ashore but not before they tell us they donot have enough fuel to do a drift. Kari convinces me to give them some of the extra fuel that I pack in the LC. Maybe I was being too kind but Kari says he could maybe get a pix of a lifetime, so I give them a gallon. :-\ This day is costing me personally in fuel costs but hey it is turning into an interesting day and I hope giving you a good story I hope to read this Sunday morning. ;D

With Kari in the boat armed with his camera he is shooting pictures like mad as the drift net is quickly thrown out. I film this with my video camera, the net is around 250 feet long I would guess.

I drift down with them on the drift that started above Grassy. He keeps well away from shore, away from the people fishing there. None of the shore anglers say anything. As we get well below Grassy I come in close for a pix of my own that Rodney will post later.  I chat with them before he starts to retrieve the net and he tells me how he cares for the fish and also like I, wants them there for his boy and his grandchildren. He asks me what time it is as he wants to be out of the water before their fishing time of 8 pm is up. Was he doing that because we were there, I donot think so.

As we drift downstream the fish are flipping at the top of the net snared in the nets firm deadly grasp. As he pulls it in his son manouvers the boat, Kari continues to shoot, I video the process and count about 20 sockeye.

The time is 7:55 as Kari climbs carefully aboard the LC from the native's 14 footer. He is bubbling with excitement about the pictures he got.

We turn upstream towards Island 22 and Kari shoots a picture of the erosion along the banks at Island 22 as it continues to chew away at the banks.

Kari is off to another assignment so I talk to some other anglers as I prepare the LC for loading on the trailer. As I talk to Dave a Sockeye swims towards me right at the shore line, it sees us and turns back into the murky Fraser. "Did you see that" Dave says. "I sure did" I reply and I thought after, was that lone sockeye in one way saying thanks for the work we are doing to try and protect him and his race of fish for the future? As strange as it may be maybe he was, but on the other hand me providing the fuel to the drift netter cost 20 sockeye their lives. :(

But then the photo's Kari shot, with one I am sure making the front page, in what context who knows as it will be out of my hands. However the relationship I felt we built with the FN fisher and his son on this hot August 13 afternoon on the Fraser River is what should be done among all sectors to work together to preserve our precious salmon. Just because some FN fishers want to break the law, there is some like the two we met today that I feel have a keen interest like I, in protecting them as they were fishing within the law today. Is drift netting too deadly in the narrow confines of an inland waterway? That is up to Fisheries and Oceans with the study they are presently doing on the river to decide I guess.

As I try to  leave Island 22 towards home after a long day I get stuck in the sand and have to get some fellows to push me out. :-[

Some of you reading this may think my head is in the sand on what I have related tonight but let me tell you I will continue to work to as hard as I can to bring those that are fishing out side the law on side so the fish in the Fraser River will be there forever. As I told 2:40 this evening, when I go to my grave I know I will have done everything I could to make that happen.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 07:36:01 AM by chris gadsden »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 11:06:49 PM »

Photos

You got stuck in the sand again? :o

allwaysfishin

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 11:52:30 PM »

being objective can be a tough thing at the best of times.
you have put a human perspective on an important issue Chris. You deserve a pat on the back :)
I personally loath drift gillnets in the river period, but the law is telling the Fn's to go ahead. If they told us to go ahead and fish most of us would do just that, so realizing that not all FN and FN fishers are bad seeds, I cannot fault what I see in the pictures , nor your "involvement" in the events that unfolded. You played an important role in a journalistic event that will produce photos for the masses to see and develop thier own opinions on what is happening to the fish in the fraser.
your seemingly tireless efforts are appreciated , big time :)

fishin for life

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 06:55:42 AM »

Great story and teffific photos Chris. I to have seen and met FN fishers that are concerned about the fish. It is like any other society there are a few bad apples that spoil it for everyone. We here about only these bad apples usually. My concern with them selling catch is that it like anything else if no one bought they wouldn't be doing it. It is like having your house broke into and things stolen. If people did not buy these stolen articles there would be far less break ins.  Same applies to FN fish if you know of anyone that buys these fish report them. They are as much to blame as the people who sold them to them. If they are a friend ask them how much of a friend are they if they are possibly taking away a past time of yours. Put there past time into a situation being about the same. Say if they like hiking the Grouse Grind that the FN are claiming Grouse Mountain and will be shutting the trail down. I bet these people would be very upset.