Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Angling On The Fraser Threatened, Cheam File Injunction  (Read 64343 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Angling On The Fraser Threatened, Cheam File Injunction
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2005, 04:20:45 PM »

I just got home and inbox is flooded with emails regarding this. I'll C&P some for now as I have to head out for work in a minute again.

--------------------------------------------------

Seabird band has been issued a ceremonial licence for drift nets and set nets to catch up to 70 sox.

Set Nets
1. 18:00 hours,Wednesday, August 3, 2005 to 18:00 hours, Thursday, August 4, 2005.

Drift Nets
1. 08:00 hours, Thursday, August 4, 2005 to 20:00 hours, Thursday, August 4, 2005.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2005, 04:52:44 PM »

Posted as requested by CG. His post to follow.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2005, 05:19:27 PM »

Posted as requested by CG. His post to follow.
Thanks Rodney. Was out for a short trip today as Gordon wanted me to be with Jamie my first grandson who just turned 2. 2:40 wanted me to be there when Jamie caught his first fish.

It just seemed like yesterday that Gord was out witjh me doing the same thing. ;D

The photo is him landing a northern pike minnow that of course are a predator to the endangered Cultus Lake sockeye. With the injuction filed yesterday by the Cheam band to prevent sports anglers onto parts of the Fraser River some wonder if they will become endangered as well.

Things are certainly not rolling, rolling, rolling right along tonight. :( :( :(

Will young fishers like Jamie not be able to access freely the Fraser River like his dad has for over 20 years and his grandfather for 35. A sorry thought as I have to admit tears flow freely as I type this. :'( :(
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 05:22:53 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2005, 05:41:16 PM »

i've been out of the office for a few hours, i don't see it on the fax desk.... ?
e mailed it but had wrong address sent again.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2005, 07:01:37 PM »

thanks for emailing that to me Chris.
Are these Cheams out of thier minds????
This is just total nonsense and if this is the way we are going to be dealt with by these people, they can go to hell as far as I am concerned.
Regardless of the outcome of this legal case, I refuse to comply with one shred of what they are asking for. If our courts pass this and the Cheam win, I will not recognize it as law.
saying this I fully realize that I may be prosecuted by our courts.
I accept those consequences
My message to the Cheam is you don't like canadian laws for canadian people, go find a new country to live in or better yet go back to living 100% the way your ancestors did. see where that gets ya all.
But being a Canadian Citizen and a member of the Metis Nation I will not stand for the ideology behind the Sto' Lo and Cheam's actions and demands. Racism, plain and simple, it's not about the river or the fish, it's control.
So to Chief Douglas and his merry band of Cheams, I'm thumbin my nose at you pal and we'll see you on the river.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2005, 08:23:25 PM »

Some recommendations to those who are concerned

The schedule of upcoming FN openings is 18:00 Thursday, August 4 to 18:00 Saturday August 6 for set nets and 08:00 to 20:00 Saturday August 6 for Drift nets. They'll be discussing with DFO again on Friday morning to see if an extension to this weekend's fishery is possible after reviewing information from PSC.

While tension is high, and most do not agree what has taken place in the last few days, it is important to remember that we should all be civil. This is not the time for reaction that is negative. We do not want to see confrontations out there, it would only degenerate the situation further. Report all fisheries violations to the ORR line.

If you see conflicts, report to the nearest RCMP office. Leave the enforcement to DFO and RCMP, but they can certainly use our eyes and ears to be more efficient.

What can you do?

Voicing your thoughts to those who can make a difference is a start. Letter writing to the major players in the political field maybe helpful eventually.

Join the Fraser Valley Salmon Society to have your voice represented. The Sportfishing Defense Alliance's first annual fundraiser will be held this Nov. 18th in Chilliwack.

Keep in mind this is an issue between the recreational anglers and the Cheam First Nation. Other FNs are not necessarily happy with what has taken place. I and hopefully (well, I don't want to be there alone! ;D ) the other reps of SFAC will attend the next scheduled meeting on August 9th with FNs.

References

Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa K1A 0A2
pm@pm.gc.ca

Honourable Geoff Regan
House of Commons
Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Parliament Buildings, Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON   K1A 0A6
Canada
Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Jim Wild, Lower Fraser Area Director
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Area Director's Office
100 Annacis Parkway, Unit 3
Delta, British Columbia
Canada V3M 6A2

Observe, record and report: 1-800-465-4336

Chilliwack RCMP: 604-792-4611

allwaysfishin

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2005, 08:42:48 PM »

in my post I do not make my comments to suggest violence of any kind. I agree 100% with Rodney about keeping things civil out there. I will not however respect any change to my access to what I have consider crown land or public land all my life. This will include fishing for bullheads ( or salmon :D ) off the beach regardless of who's drifting by net fishing.
call it peacefull protest, if DFO arrests me, or if the FN's want to get violent, I will take the matter to task legally. I am prepared to make sacrifices to protect my access to "My Canada".

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2005, 08:56:25 PM »

One thing you can do is provide dollars for the SDA to fight this.
Rodney, could you put the address for them up here as I do not have it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2005, 10:35:11 PM »

One thing you can do is provide dollars for the SDA to fight this.
Rodney, could you put the address for them up here as I do not have it.
Rodney if you do not have it please phone Gwyn

Green Horn

• beat the water..til the fish crawl out to ya!!
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2005, 11:24:24 PM »

You say....

"It says FOOD FISHERY, not fishery.
Do we know the amount of fish they are allowed for this?"

Correct me if I am wrong...but..why the hell is only sockeye a food fish??

Is this a year where 20 million pinks return to the system?

They want fish..then damn it...eat pinks too...I can't afford a fricking steak 3X's a day! I eat hot dogs alot.

FN fellers need to add more to the good ol' diet eh?

BOB
The Green Horn

Centerpin

• To Fish Or Not To Fish Such A Stupid Question
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2005, 12:40:32 AM »

Hey Guys

If by some god forsaken chance that the government caves again I have an idea for a very peacfull protest.

Their injunction is to prohibit us from fishing, it doesn't say we can't all get our boats and head to these prime locations and just drop anchor and have a 100 boat picnic. Just pass the word to all the other web sites and we could get more boats on the river than the FN have ever seen before, and it's all nice and legal.

Centerpin  8)
No Nookie Like Chinookie

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2005, 12:47:11 AM »

There you go !!! ;) Nothing wrong with a picnic.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2005, 01:42:40 AM »

there's few things i want to know
1) what is the population of the individual bands who are represented by this injunction, man, women, child..
2) what is the weight of a standard adult meal size portion of fish. (I know I'm stuffed after eating a 1/4 of an average sized, say 6lbs sockeye)
3) according to health canada, what is the recommended frequency of a salmon dinner in a regular healthy balanced diet and what is the recommended portion size.
4) with ceremony and food fisheries only, how many total "fish pounds" of salmon or number of combined species of salmon does DFO allow the Sto' Lo nation and when divided by man, women, child, how many fish per person, per year does this come out to.
5) if the bands represented in this injunction do not have enough other food staples such as vegetables, pork, chicken, beef ect ect, are they going to seek "harvesting" rights from farms located in the chilliwack/sardis/agassiz areas that were Sto' Lo territory before the reserves were formed? ( I know that question is a little silly but so is this injunction)
6) how much money per year does the Sto' Lo/ Cheam contribute to salmon enhancement
7) how much money do the bands represented by this injunction receive annually for "fishery" and harvest related gear, clothing and equipment.
i'm gonna see if i can research these questions but if anyone has any facts.....
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 01:45:57 AM by allwaysfishin »

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2005, 07:55:09 AM »

Send an e-mail to your MLA/MP and ask them if they are going to defend your rights on this in court!

They are glad to take your taxes, how about defending you on this?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2005, 08:57:57 AM »

Well I just e-mailed Geoff Regan to voice my concerns and a few fellings on this matter I suggest evrybody does the same. Just flood his in box. Maybe that way they will see that we are for real

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day