Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Angling On The Fraser Threatened, Cheam File Injunction  (Read 64349 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Angling On The Fraser Threatened, Cheam File Injunction
« on: August 02, 2005, 05:32:47 PM »

I just got word that the Cheam Band has filed an injunction in Victoria to prevent sports angling on the Fraser River from Dewdney Slough to Herrling Island.

I have not seen the notice yet but will get my hands on it tonight for more details. It is on hard copy and not on e mail.

Am not sure this injunction will be just when FN are fishing or not.
The hearing was thought to go tomorrow but a call was made to the court registry at the Victoria courthouse and it may be heard on Friuday. It seems the Cheam lawyer wants to know how it went on the river last weekend during the 12 hour drift netting and 48 hour set net.

Is this the beginning of the end for us? If not it is certainly the thin edge of the wedge.

I have been in contact with the president of the SDA and we will be represented in some way at this injunction hearing. Also he has given the ok to notify the press so feel free to spread the word, what have we got to lose. It certainly could be a sad day not only for us but for the fish as well that will also suffer greatly. Once again FOC should be questioned that the law presently states these fish are supposed to be for food and ceremonial use only. How many fish does someone need to satisy this?

Time to tighten this up before more opportunity is given I would say.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Angling On The Fraser Threatened, Cheam File Injunction
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 05:46:41 PM »

When the injunction proposal was first brought up at the last FN/rec fishers dialogue meeting, they mentioned the closure proposed would only be three bars that are commonly used by recreational anglers, and that sportfishing closures would only take place during FN openings.

I can see a compromise developed if it comes down to an alternating opening/closure days between the two groups at certain bars, but requesting (if that is what's included in this injunction) to have the all areas between the two points completely closed to sportfishing is outrageous.

I guess we'll have to wait and find out more info before making the appropriate responses. In the meantime, make others aware of what is about to take place.

I hope those who enjoy the sturgeon fishing has also read the Fraser River White Sturgeon Conservation Plan that I posted, unless no one really wants to fish next year.

This is also very disappointing as it will probably end the future dialogues with FN. We have another scheduled meeting with the Cheam and other bands on August 9th. I am disappointed that they could not wait until then to discuss over this issue face to face before taking such actions as we requested at the last meeting.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 05:55:31 PM »

While Sturgeon fishing on Sunday and the FN drift net opening was taking place there was 2 seals around the nets and we heard throughout the 2 hours, several gunshots go off that were shot towards the seals. So if they have the ability to be carrying live ammunition on their boats right now, whats going to hold them back to not shoot at recreational anglers when this hopefully doesnt go through?

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 05:58:39 PM »

Why are you surprised?
Who will fight this in the courts???
Do you think that DFO or the Province will??
If it works, there will be more to come.

Bantam_50

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 06:47:44 PM »

:o :o :o

Why is anyone surprised? Last year was just the ripple testing the waters ... if you didn't see this coming  ::) ::).

Good to see what meetings and dialog does eh Rod.

I'd like to know what comments all the upper Fraser bands have  on this.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 07:07:55 PM »

If you care about fishing on the Fraser, than I would reccomend that you send MONEY to the SDA or the Survival Coalition.

They appear to be prepared to go to court on YOUR behalf and could use your help with money!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 08:03:03 PM »

I can't see a valid reason for closing down the river for us when the natives are netting.  From my experience everyone stops fishing while a drift net passes by. We are not affecting their so called fishing rather they are affecting ours.  Unless of course they want to load up the river with a whole slew of drift nets and take everything.  If we wanna keep fishing eventhough we probably won't catch anything cause most of the fish will end up in the nets we should be allowed to.  This proposal sounds 'fishy'to me.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 08:18:22 PM »

perhaps a more activist style political representation needs to take place. I guess our voices are lost unless we maybe get all the sporties motivated to show up at the provincial buildings in victoria and hold a major protest on the lawns of our ever loved (not) premier's big castle of fun.

do we need to see modern day cowboys and indians in our society?? because this kind of action by the Cheams will sure rile a TONNE of folks.
It's almost as if the government and DFO "want" the conflict between the user groups to exist. They sure as hell aren't acting to pull the fuel out of the fire now are they.

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 08:22:14 PM »

While Sturgeon fishing on Sunday and the FN drift net opening was taking place there was 2 seals around the nets and we heard throughout the 2 hours, several gunshots go off that were shot towards the seals. So if they have the ability to be carrying live ammunition on their boats right now, whats going to hold them back to not shoot at recreational anglers when this hopefully doesnt go through?
[/u]                            Hopefully the law?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 09:10:57 PM »

This could very much be posturing...its a negotiating ploy.  Start high, end somewhere in the middle - thats my guess.

We need to wait and see how the courts react, most importantly the sports sector needs someone to represent their interests otherwise they will not be considered.  Lets all try and do whay we can to support these organizations (SDA, survival colition etc.), be it money, signatures, whatever.

fisher88

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 09:14:02 PM »

start of a new civil war!! ::)
If you aint dutch you aint much!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 09:18:02 PM »

This could very much be posturing...its a negotiating ploy.  Start high, end somewhere in the middle - thats my guess.
100% correct-it's all politics.

start of a new civil war!! ::)
Stop talking out of your a**!

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 09:37:32 PM »

Not that I am suggesting anything, but unfortunately for the Cheam, if they do get this injunction, they should be prepared to live with the full consequences. Being of sane state of mind, I can speak for myself in that I wll be a law abiding citizen, on the other hand, I can't speak for the masses of others out there who have a loose screw or two. It would be unfortunate if certain events were to unfold of a serious nature if this injunction does occur.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 10:29:12 PM »

The next thing they will ask for is a limited season of Coho fishing for us so that they can net all of them coming into the Vedder/Fraser mouth!!!!!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 10:30:12 PM »

It's only to get worse. >:(