Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Going fishin' tomorrow, Stave lake or Alloutte lake? or..?  (Read 2967 times)

Sinaran

Going fishin' tomorrow, Stave lake or Alloutte lake? or..?
« on: July 25, 2005, 12:02:52 AM »

hey pals,  get my dayoff tomorrow, so i'm gonna spend my day fishing a bit.  i live in vancouver, so i am just wondering if there's any good lakes around lower mainland that i could give a try at? up to 2 hours of driving is ok with me.  i've read about stave lake and alloutte lake, but not sure if it's good there?  I have been to mill lake in abbotsford, which is not ok.  Suggestions anyone? :)
thanks !! ;)
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

WestEast

Re: Going fishin' tomorrow, Stave lake or Alloutte lake? or..?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 12:08:45 PM »

Perhaps too late a response for you, but Buntzen Lake seems to be fishing reasonably well right now. Fished a couple of hours early Sunday morning C&R a fat 14-incher and got three other slams. Other fishers seemed to have one on at one time or another whilst I was there. Boat or Tube works best. I was using a burgundy leech fly on sinking line and hits were coming from the 15-20ft level over deep water. Bobber and worm fishers from the jetty also catching. Plan any trip here with a contingency - the gates close when the car parks are full, and that can be early. Buntzen weekend caveat: gets crowded, lots of boats, noisy dogs and people.

Sinaran

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 01:08:27 PM »

wow, thanks man.. it's not that late yet as i've cancenled my trip to aloutte lake due to some not-too-impressive reports from pals.  i am definitely heading to buntzen lake now. might as well rent a row canoe there too.  gonna try bottom fishing a bit. by the way, where can i get the leeches u mentioned ? 
thanks again. :)
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 05:37:59 PM »

Actual leeches, (or any aquatic invertibrate for that matter) are illegal in lakes. Any fly shop should carry the burgandy leeches you seek  ;)
Actions speak louder than words.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 05:55:03 PM »

Hmm I checked the internet for a leech pattern it looks very much like a wooly bugger.  How do I tell the difference?
And what is wooly bugger suppose to be anyways?

Thank you

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 06:31:00 PM »

Whooly buggers are supposed to be just about everything from leeches to dragons to damsels to whatever else. Typically, leeches are made from rabbit which has a much better action in the water and is much more life like.
Actions speak louder than words.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 07:39:17 PM »

The best leach pattern I have tried came from Alaska. It's called BIG BLACK! Found it in flyfisherman magazine about 13 years ago. The only pattern I have found that comes close to it is the Ken Ruddick's leach pattern.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"