Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dock Fishing  (Read 21032 times)

No_way

Re: Dock Fishing
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2005, 09:13:45 PM »

Thank you

The number for the Vancouver DFO office is listed in the regulations, I don't have it on me.  I've called it, and believe it or not a real person answered the phone!

I've also been reading about jigging for greenlings.  It's just that I don't know how to do it.  I see bags of jig heads at the store, I assume that's what I use, but what else?  It's pretty bad but all the stuff i find on the net about jigging just tells me to do it, but I don't know how.  I know that you move it up and down, but is that it?  And do these jigheads go on a leader or right into the snap?  Can anyone give me the ABCs of jigging of a dock?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 09:59:37 PM by No_way »

tyee slayer

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2005, 08:41:03 PM »

Thank you

The number for the Vancouver DFO office is listed in the regulations, I don't have it on me.  I've called it, and believe it or not a real person answered the phone!

I've also been reading about jigging for greenlings.  It's just that I don't know how to do it.  I see bags of jig heads at the store, I assume that's what I use, but what else?  It's pretty bad but all the stuff i find on the net about jigging just tells me to do it, but I don't know how.  I know that you move it up and down, but is that it?  And do these jigheads go on a leader or right into the snap?  Can anyone give me the ABCs of jigging of a dock?

Thanks

I was fishing off my dock at my cabin and musta caught 20 greenling in like 2 hours. i was jigging with "deadly dicks" about small size. you can pick them up at army and navy. i just usea snap swivel to attatch them to the line.
Once a "Slayer" but have grown to appreciate and practice the art of catch and release

No_way

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2005, 08:58:11 PM »

Thats it?!  Right on.  Thanks.  BTW, how big to greenlings get?  I've caught them about 12" before, is that it or can I expect bigger?

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2005, 10:18:56 PM »

I once caught a greenling around 8 pounds in  the sunshine coast area. They seem to be quite a bit smaller around here.  My biggest around here would be about 14 inches.
I like ROE

No_way

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2005, 10:23:33 PM »

oh well, not bad.  But even fish get lost so you never know  ;)

tyee slayer

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2005, 03:30:19 PM »

i get them to 3lbs on average, which is an edible size
Once a "Slayer" but have grown to appreciate and practice the art of catch and release

No_way

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2005, 08:07:33 PM »

Is it just me or does the DFO never visit public piers?  I know I'm new at this, but in the times I've gone I've only had my license checked once--and that was by a security guard for the Vancouver Port Authority.  I'd be impressed it 1/2 the people at Jericho have licenses, and people were catching buckets full of shiners!  The limit is 8, and people were taking 10 times that.  Are they just under staffed?  Growing up fishing the Fraser we had our licenses checked every other visit.  Maybe piers are just a low priority.

JiG_Head

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2005, 08:30:47 PM »

lol i fish the piers for 9 years and only got my licence checked once at jerico...
the shyt talker.

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2005, 12:28:41 PM »

hey no_way,

I hear ya about the violations on the docks, esp at night.

Any given day, I see; unlicensed fisherpersons, multiple hook bar rigs, fishing multiple rods, overtaking limits on shiners, taking female and undersized crabs, taking over crab limits, giving away crabs to unlicensed onlookers.

I have to bite my tongue quite a bit, but last night I was out, I witnessed a fellow pull up a trap full of undersized crabs, and simply take all of them, no size check, no sex check, and he even gave a few away...

I went over to him and quietly reminded him of the fines for such actions, when he tried to waffle a bit, i cut him off and mentioned that I was standing right beside him the whole time and witnessed the whole thing.

I try not to get angry or confrontational, as many times, people are simply not aware of regs, and often, when you point out the error, they are thankful and comply right away.

It's the people that know better, yet come down day after day and rake up buckets and bags full of crabs that gets annoying.

It would be nice to see a DFO guy just drop by a couple times, hand out some warnings etc, to help remind folks that the regulations are there to protect the resource and it's in our best interest to abide by them.

glycine

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2005, 07:10:31 PM »

hi Jack..

i saw same thing 2 years ago at cates park. I reported 604-666-3500..
however , i had no idea what would happen to the poacher..
anyone know about next action of the DFO?

and one more
"It is requested that harvesters voluntarily release female crabs to protect stocks by allowing for maximum reproduction."
according to the fishery regulation, you can blame for females.. but, there wouldnt be legal problems.
actually, female crabs in legal size are very rare.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 07:12:03 PM by glycine »

No_way

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2005, 05:34:44 PM »

try ambleside!!!... i caught about 5 english soles. 5 flounders... 1 pile perch.. and 5 crabs.

How can you tell?   I'm catching flatfish quite regularly.  I've seen at least 3 different species caught.  The starry flounder I know, but the others, no.  some are more elongated than others, and some have smooth skin with little scales, and others have lumpy skin that is VERY tough.  Not that it matters according to the regulations or on the dinner table, but just wondering if anyone had any tricks for ID the fish... perhaps a rime?

JiG_Head

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2005, 03:54:05 PM »

english soles have that elongated body ur talkin about. it also has a very smooth dorsal side ... feels it it has no scales.  and english soles have a bigger mouth.
the shyt talker.

No_way

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2005, 03:59:20 PM »

english soles have that elongated body ur talkin about. it also has a very smooth dorsal side ... feels it it has no scales.  and english soles have a bigger mouth.

thanks, the regulations only show one picture and the limits for flounder and sole are combined.  How many different types of flat fish is whole likely to catch in these waters.  As I've said, I've seen 3 but there must be more.

No_way

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2005, 10:35:14 AM »

Any of you people ever have luck fishing at night?  I usually go home when it gets dark and the sculpins really come into their own.  Sole and greenlings, do they feed at night too?  I don't think perch do.

Thanks.