Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dock Fishing  (Read 21034 times)

No_way

Dock Fishing
« on: June 23, 2005, 03:52:28 AM »

Hello,

This is my first post.

I just started dock fishing in Vancouver.  I saw someone write about using live shiners as bait.   How exactly do you rig to fish with live shiners as bait for bottom fishing?  Hook size, etc?  How big of a fish do you need to take a bait that sizeand what size should they be?  I guess it depends on the type of fish.

Thank you, and GREAT SITE!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Dock Fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 01:20:06 PM »

Welcome No_ Way ! Your question brought back a flood of memories when I was a kid. We used to catch shiners off the local docks and use them to catch big ling and rock cods. You hook the shiner by placing the hook through the dorsal fin. If you are using a double hook setup (whether it is triple or single hooks) place the bottom hook through the dorsal fin and the top hook through the shiner's nose). It should keep the shiners alive for a very long time. Good Luck.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 03:56:11 PM »

I'm not particularly fond of the whole live bait idea, but no doubt it works, there are alternatives.

This is a "site" (if you dare call it that...) that I made a few years ago as a school project. I actually thought it had been shut down (little, to no activity), but your post made me remember it.

http://www.geocities.com/spudcoteuk/pierfishingindex.htm

Please keep in mind, I made this site in grade 9 (I think, maybe earlier), and my computer skills were pretty crappy at the time, and I never actually got around to finishing it.  ::)

It may help slightly.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 04:07:57 PM »

This is a "site" (if you dare call it that...) that I made a few years ago as a school project. I actually thought it had been shut down (little, to no activity), but your post made me remember it.

http://www.geocities.com/spudcoteuk/pierfishingindex.htm

Please keep in mind, I made this site in grade 9 (I think, maybe earlier), and my computer skills were pretty crappy at the time, and I never actually got around to finishing it.  ::)

It may help slightly.

:o Good thing you put that disclaimer up....My eyes!!!!!  :o

;)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 04:55:16 PM »

Good thing you put that disclaimer up....My eyes!!!!!

Is that towards the presentation, or the info...or both, haha  ;D
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

No_way

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 01:27:56 AM »

First of all, thanks to all of you for your help, and I think it is a wonderful site Spudcote (I can't make a site at all so perhaps I'm easily impressed :o)

I live right by Crab Park and have been fishing from the little dock there.  I know the fishing is not sopposed to be good there, but if lived a 10 minute walk from a fishing spot wouldn't you fish it?  Fishing and catching are to different things.  I didn't even know of Jericho pier, and it's only one bus from home!

But back to Crab Park (or Port Side Park as it is officially known).  It's a fantastic place for perch (got some gorgeous striped perch and billions of shiners), bullheads (of course) tons of little flounder and a couple little cod. 

The question is: if I got little flounders and cod, is there at least a chance of a larger on?

Also, at low tide i noticed a bed of Bull Kelp to the left of the pier, how much water do you need to get greenlings?  I keep pulling in dungeoness crabs so I guess it gets pretty deep.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 09:55:49 AM »

The question is: if I got little flounders and cod, is there at least a chance of a larger on?

Most definitely, put in the time you will get one. There are some nice size rock cods and lings within a short distance of Crab Park.

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 05:34:54 PM »

were abouts is crab park.  I am just curious.  Also, how small are the flounder?  At belcarra park a big flounder off the dock is around 14 inches with most being around 10.  You can catch bigger ones in a boat though.
I like ROE

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 09:22:03 PM »

Crab Park is in downtown Vancouver near the Helijet pad (near the Pan Pacific Hotel)

No_way

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 11:37:05 PM »

were abouts is crab park.  I am just curious.  Also, how small are the flounder?   At belcarra park a big flounder off the dock is around 14 inches with most being around 10.  You can catch bigger ones in a boat though.

So far I've only gotten ones that are about 5 inches; I've had bigger things on but I have no idea what they were.  Funny enough I used to get flounders that size out of the Frazer by Fort Langley.

The tides haven't been good.  The highest tide has been in the middle of the night.  Does anyone have advice about the tides?  I know that "fishing is aways better at high tide", but by how much? And how is best to fish when the water is low?

Thanks again everyone. I love this site.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 05:29:55 AM by No_way »

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 01:02:28 PM »

At belcarra we only seem to catch them consistently at the high tide as it brings them in to the bay to feed i guess.  If you have a boat i don't think it matters too much as you go out deeper.
I like ROE

No_way

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 11:25:24 PM »

At belcarra we only seem to catch them consistently at the high tide as it brings them in to the bay to feed i guess.  If you have a boat i don't think it matters too much as you go out deeper.

I don't have a boat, that's why I'm dock fishing! lol.

Any advice on hooks and leader length?  I use a bar rig a lot, so they tangle if the leaders are very long.  I've been thinking of switching to a pencil lead in the swivel and a longer leader, but then the fish would have to drag the lead for me to see the bite.  I don't know how brave these bottom fish are; feeling the weight of the sinker might scare them off, no?

Thanks

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 11:39:49 PM »

I would catch the flounder by using pencil lead and a 16 inch leader with worms for bait.  I would cast it out and reel it in slowly along the bottom stopping every so often.  I found we caught more by reeling it in rather then just letting it sit in one spot. As for hooks it didn't really matter.  I have used a size 1/0 to 8 depending on the type of bait used.
I like ROE

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2005, 11:40:18 PM »

You don't need to be too sophiscated when you're dock fishing. You don't need to use heavy weight. Just enough weight to hold the bottom is enough.

No_way

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 09:40:03 PM »

I need some help with a few things.  I have no idea what half of the things I've been catching are (always fished fresh water).  In area 28 (Vancouver) we can't keep Lingcod, but I keep catching cods and since I don't know one cod from the next I throw them all back.  Not that they were big or anything, but if I throw something back it should be by choice not ignorance.

The DFO fish identification pictures are a joke and 2/3 of what I catch aren't even pictured.  Does anyone know where on the web I can find good pictures of native fish?

I caught several cod at Jericho today, what kind are they?  How can I tell?  And what are those really long, smooth things with the spiny dorsal fin running the whole length (eels?)?

It's a little frustrating, and most the other people I meet on the pier are totally ignorant of the regulations, let alone fish identification.

Help!

Thankyou

PS
At times the water at Jericho was so thick with herring I could have walked out on their backs.  How do I catch them; I love pickled herring :-*
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 09:50:27 PM by No_way »