Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dock Fishing  (Read 21031 times)

No_way

Re: Dock Fishing
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2005, 12:49:38 AM »

smelts is more brownish in colour and has small mouth and small scales thile herring has a bigger mouth and big silvery shiny scales which fells off easily.

Ok, I never caught one of them, but my vote is herring.  They seem to be 8-10 inches long, very bright, and it seemed that the gill plates were made of mirrors.  They sure didn't seem brown.   Do smelts and/or herring schools seem well coordinated?  These fish moved as one mass.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2005, 12:58:19 AM »

Both smelts and herrings travel in schools

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2005, 02:33:49 AM »

Ok, I never caught one of them, but my vote is herring.  They seem to be 8-10 inches long, very bright, and it seemed that the gill plates were made of mirrors. 

These sound like herring

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2005, 08:23:40 AM »

I remember around this time last year we caught some herring at belcarra.
I like ROE

No_way

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2005, 01:56:53 AM »

No problem. I've fished herring at the Cates Park in Nov. Do you recall when you saw herrings at Jerico?

You can fish for them the hard way, one by one with mussel or you can do it with herring jig, and then there is the cast net or dip net way for catching herring.

I only have a vague idea what a herring jig looks like.  Would it work from a dock?  Does there need to be big schools for me to catch herring?  And do I need to learn to tie them on my own or can I buy herring jigs from Army and Navy?  I'm sure nets work better, but I really don't care to lug them on the bus on the off chance that there might be herring that day. :)

Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2005, 01:33:16 PM »

You can buy herring jigs from Army and Navy for approx. $3.00.  The jigs are nothing more than a series of tiny hooks attached to a line. Add a weight to one end and tie the other end to your main line.

No_way

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2005, 11:14:21 PM »

You can buy herring jigs from Army and Navy for approx. $3.00.  The jigs are nothing more than a series of tiny hooks attached to a line. Add a weight to one end and tie the other end to your main line.

Thanks

salmon assasin

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2005, 10:34:05 PM »

Hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm........
gill plates made of mirrors sounds to me more like anchovy

JiG_Head

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2005, 11:32:02 AM »

HEY, i luv dock fishing :D  i just went yesterday. i fished at jerico for a long long long long time b4 moving.
sounds like fishing got better over there. but i stop because of all the violations. anyways... the cod fish u said.. is probably a greenling. althought there are tommy cods there.*dont remember which type of cod. but is a true cod of some sort.  one way to tell.. just check if it had scales... if u can feel like rough scales then is a greenling. if is a tommycod it should have no scale and thingy coming off its lower jaw.   Hmm jerico doesnt have the best fishing... but they have alot of weird things.. hehe. ill let u have the chance of discovering them.  but ya.

i really love fishing from a pier, love the feeling of casting out and trying to reach that extra feet for the next big one. but i fish mainly at ambleside now :D much bigger greenlings :P lol and bigger pier. better enviorment. if u have a chance check it out. as for direction i suck at giving them. so check with someone eles. but the pier is at 14th and marine in west van.
the shyt talker.

No_way

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2005, 03:23:49 PM »

rough scales eh? well they were most certainly greenlings then.  Yeah, I never fished in the ocean before but I love pier fishing.  There are a lot of crazy things that I've been pulling up: Bullheads aplenty, flat fish off all kinds, greenlings, sand lances and crabs.  Thats not to mention the weeds, rocks, a bike tire and an old camera.  Haven't got a dogfish yet.

It's odd, If I cast out into the deep water, all I get is bullheads.  The shallow places right by the Pier is where all the action is.  I do better at crab park then I did at Jericho.  Off the end of the Dock at Crab park it drops off and gets VERY deep, but so far no luck.

BTW:  is there any chance of hooking a Pink there when they start running?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 04:59:55 PM by No_way »

JiG_Head

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2005, 09:11:04 PM »

yep, i have no idea where crab park is. sounds fun thoe. but try ambleside!!!... i caught about 5 english soles. 5 flounders... 1 pile perch.. and 5 crabs. dont worry i had 3 guys with me so i wasnt taking over the limit ;) oh and a dog fish... 1 of them was so big it big through my 50lb tuff line.
the shyt talker.

No_way

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2005, 07:43:44 PM »

I'm facing a dilemma.  I want to try using sea worms because I hear they are the best bait you can get; however, you catch them at low tide and fish at high tide.  So how should I store them if I want to use them several days after I catch them?  Just in water? In sand? Sand and water? Dirt? Moss?  You get the idea.  How long do they keep in the fridge?

Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2005, 07:46:31 PM »

I used to store them in seaweed.

No_way

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2005, 07:48:20 PM »

awesome, thanks

PS

I once heard that they can sting, or bit or something.  Is that true?

IamCanadian

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2005, 08:50:15 PM »

No_Way, yea they have this 'mouith' that will project out from it's mouth. So be careful when handling them! And does anyone know if Deep Cove and Cates Park are closed for fishing? And if u don't, do u know what number I should call, to get the info? And JiG_Head, what bait were u using at Ambleside? Adding on to that, would u recommend Ambleside or Deep Cove, if it isn't closed for fishing?

Thanks. Ian :D