Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: unbelievable ad in bc sport fishing  (Read 5448 times)

lunker

unbelievable ad in bc sport fishing
« on: June 20, 2005, 09:42:13 AM »

Ok, so I'm at the tackle shop getting some gear and I look over and see the latest issue of bc sport fishing.  It is usually a good read, so I pick up a copy.  I get home and start to read it through, and about a third of the way through i get to an ad for PowerPro fishing line.  The ad says something about letting you feel "soft biting trout and salmon", and the picture they used is this guy holding up the reddest, most humped out sockeye I have ever seen.  You could make pasta sauce with this thing, and use the green head for garnish.  He wasn't even tailing it for release, he had his hand in its gills and was holding it up like a keeper.  The caption underneath went something like " xxx, professional guide and fisherman, specializing in trophy fish.".  I guess he wanted one for the smoker... :-X.  Nothing against bc sport fishing, it was a great issue.  The ad was good for a laugh (or cry??), check it out if you can.  Who knows, maybe we can give the guy a call so he can organize a workshop for the FWR memebers on how to catch those "trophy" fish...

oddjob

• woof woof
Re: unbelievable ad in bc sport fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 10:52:57 AM »

the fish is a little too well done, looks like its already been basted and smoked . hard to believe they would use that fish to promote there fishing line.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 10:59:46 AM »

It's on page 39. I was thinking the exact same thing. That sockeye was redder than the jacket he was wearing.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 11:42:34 AM »

HAHA, so I wasn't the only one to think that...they could have picked a bit more flattering picture.  :-X

Think about it practically, if it's already spawned, who cares what happens to the rest of it, eh ? but still, a "trophy" fish ? Not bloody likely.  :-\
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

lunker

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 12:04:17 PM »

Hee hee, like you said Spud I guess if it's already spawned...
I wonder what color wool he used? ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 12:08:04 PM »

Those who are not pleased with the photo in the ad should contact the company and address your concerns.

blueback

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 01:01:43 PM »

....or boycott the product and/or the magazine?Those guys must really understand fishing in BC, eh? ::) ;D Some trophy!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 01:17:13 PM by blueback »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 02:29:55 PM »

I wouldn't go as far as boycotting the product. To improve this sport, this industry and the resource that it depends on, customers need to provide feedbacks to producers as both have the responsibility to ensure sustainability is achieved.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 03:13:31 PM »

guys, just remember, it's only an ad. See some humour in it. Just becuase there is somehting in their commercial you didn't particularly like, doesn't mean that it's crap product.

Who knows, it may have been put in to catch your attention, in that case, it certainly did  :o

It's just a magazine.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 03:22:09 PM »

guys, just remember, it's only an ad. See some humour in it. Just becuase there is somehting in their commercial you didn't particularly like, doesn't mean that it's crap product.

Who knows, it may have been put in to catch your attention, in that case, it certainly did  :o

It's just a magazine.

It could also have been some marketing droid and a model that never actually have seen fresh salmon - they think all Sockeye are always bright red and green. Wouldn't be the first time.  It would be a good idea to shoot an email to the advertiser mentioning your feelings though.  Without feedback, things never change.

Cheers!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 03:59:50 PM »

can someone post the picture id love to see it!
The Bigger The Better!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 04:38:58 PM »

I think that fishing media should be held responsible for what they display. Sure we know better than to hold fish by the gills but how many times do you see that sorta crap in magazines or on fishing t.v. shows. Some newbie might not know better and when they see a 'respectable' angler doing those sorts of things then of course it isn't going to seem like such a bad idea.
Actions speak louder than words.

Steelies-nitemare

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 04:48:23 PM »

O.K.  I knew the pic you were talking about because I was sayin the same thing yesterday while I read the mag. :o  Yes very red, very old and very LARGE Trophy sockeye.  You may say what you like but a salmon showing its spawning colors shouldn't be veiwed as ugly.  Just think what you'd look like after swimming as long as they have and still having the energy to DO IT! All in all that fish is truly a large specimen of its kind and I think that is what was trying to be captured.  :-\  Just my 2.  ;)  ;D  8)  ::)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 05:00:50 PM »

Actual pdf is here: http://powerpro.com/_files_press/BCOutdoorsSummer.pdf  [warning - 1.3MB pdf, and slow server at powerpro (fishing not web services appears to be their focus  ::) ) ]

The questions to ask are:

• What difference is there to the overall fish ecology taking this guy at that stage, or when he entered the fraser (for example)
  • Is this a good example for Powerpro line?  Would that fish have actually put up much of a fight?
  • If this is fish is pre-spawn, is it cruel to catch and kill it now, since it made it all the way up to the spawining grounds

My thoughts

• No difference if it has already spawned
  • Likely to have put up a half assed fight, and may have even been able to be brought in on 4lb test....It looks pretty tired.
  • I think so, since the odds of making it so far are so slim to start with, and then to whack it just before it does the deed....Ouch

My feeling - bad advert for powerpro.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 05:34:53 PM »

Looking back at it now, it is actually quite a large fish, but still, the fight of a fish at that stage in it's life would not give it's strongest fight, and like I stated earlier, it is not the most flattering fish to has yourself associated with. And in that state, still maybe not quite considered a trophy, but that all depends on the person who caught it.

I agree with DS, a pretty bad ad by Powerpro.

Yet again, the bright colour could have been to catch your eye, and it has.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote