Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: advice wanted on newer boat  (Read 2141 times)

Sandy

• Old Timer
advice wanted on newer boat
« on: May 29, 2005, 10:17:32 AM »

finally we are able to contemplate buying a sport fishing boat.we are considering something in the 24' range.with overnight capabilities, fairly easy access.
why those choices?.
medical reasons state a career change may have to be in order in the next 2-3 years,possibility of some guiding business,hopefully catering to the mobility handicapped. I'm leaning to-wards the chuck as I'm told that the river is allready over guided. Is this true?
boat will be used for pleasure and hopefully work.
have been allready told to consider the Campion (Haida )or Bayliner
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Re: advice wanted on newer boat
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 10:50:48 AM »

aYup, the flows are getting crowded alright, and a LOT less hassle getting the salt-chuck guiding Licence. Good on ya considering a handicapped catering, should do well as these are few.

As far as boats, I'd stay away from the Bayliners. A buddy of mine rebuilds boats for a hobby and to make a few sheckles on the side. I was literally amazed when he opened up the floor on not one, but two Bayliners over the last year. Compared to many other rigs, the hull was thinner, the stringers spaced too far apart, and in one instance, the stringers were not even fiberglassed (guess why they rotted out in two years!  ::) ) Built to be pretty, not tough! NOT my idea of a charter rig, that's for sure.

The Campions are better. Better yet, Sea-Rays (more than a handfull of guides use them WCVI), and of course the Grady's.

Good Luck with your search!!

Cheers,
Nog

Sandy

• Old Timer
Re: advice wanted on newer boat
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 05:27:24 PM »

Thanks for the advice and encouragement Nog

Cheers
Sandy
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!