Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Don't look so hard, you'll go blind...  (Read 2416 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Don't look so hard, you'll go blind...
« on: March 26, 2005, 12:12:51 PM »

All you people.... Spending you Saturday glued onto this screen going through posts, shouldn't you be out fishing instead? :p

And since everyone's too shy or lazy to start a conversation, I'll break the ice.

Chrome Mykiss and I were just discussing on summer fishing plans yesterday. What are yours? I am trying to jam in the little free time that I have as much as possible. Hopefully this year, a trip or two to the interior lakes will finally happen in May. In June, we'll be doing the Salt Spring Island trip in the last weekend of June (if anyone's still interested, email me please. So far, 10 people are coming - Keithr, Bilbo and their wives, Chrome Mykiss, Trout Slayer, Hiker and wife, Nina and I). In July and August, we are running the youth fishing camp but hopefully a trip or two for barfishing if CG wants us to be around him while he snores on the bar this year. ;) Maybe a trip to the island, Port Renfrew late August. Then in September, the pinks show up, and you know what happens.... :)

Riverman

• old fart
Re: Don't look so hard, you'll go blind...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 12:54:36 PM »

Well with all I read last year on this site about bar rigging for springs,I feel inspired to take it a bit more seriously this year.The sockeye season looks like a political hornets nest again.I am sure we sporties are the ones that will get stung in the end.I am looking forward to some days without the need to shadow box before going out.I have at least 16 fishing days on the fraser set aside for late July and early August plus about ten more for Oct - Nov.to chase coho.I did a lot of exploring last year and am going to see if I can take advantage of what I found. I have a 16 footer with a fifty horse merc on it that wast roublsome last year but is in good shape now so I am looking forward to using it this year.
Riverman

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 02:06:13 PM »

I'm planning on taking may off work for surgery. During this time I plan on doing a little rehab *cough cough and testing out the new fly rod up in the cariboo for a few weeks. Other than that it will be buisness as usual. July for springs on the vedder and maybe the odd trip to the chehalis to chase around some summer steelhead. August will be the usual sockeye gong show. Although when the pinks roll in it should be good times on the fly rod again. Only thing different from last year will be my severely reduced fall fishing season. I'll be going from 30+ days in the fall to closer to 5, stupid school (shakes fist angrily).
Actions speak louder than words.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 02:29:47 PM »

I am looking forward to some days without the need to shadow box before going out.
LOL!!!How true!
I see some movement back to Bar fishing from people tired of the Sockeye shuffle/grind/struggle.

Rod-if weather patterns hold true the last weekend in June is too late.
With the warmer conditions that are in the cards the last week of May makes more sense.
Note that even that hard core Bass fishermen Harvey Wong from 3 Vets has pushed his spring Bass trip up from May long weekend to Mother's Day.

I'm starting a new job with odd days off  so all plans are on hold.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 02:50:37 PM »

I am looking forward to some days without the need to shadow box before going out.
LOL!!!How true!
I see some movement back to Bar fishing from people tired of the Sockeye shuffle/grind/struggle.

That's something we were discussing at a meeting last week. Due to the increasing popularity of sockeye fishery and the usual September closure, barfishing, a very family oriented way to fish, has been dying out in the last long while. With so much talk about it last year on the forum, I am optimistic that it'll be making a comeback. :)

Rod-if weather patterns hold true the last weekend in June is too late.

Ya I know, that's what I am afraid of. That's ok though, it'll be a fun outing for everyone who comes anyways as Salt Spring Island is a really island to visit for those who have never been there before. We should be able to get into some fish anyways. With this trend, wouldn't spawning be taking place earlier? If that's the case, maybe WLAP should shift retention date earlier than June 15?

Well with all I read last year on this site about bar rigging for springs,I feel inspired to take it a bit more seriously this year.The sockeye season looks like a political hornets nest again.I am sure we sporties are the ones that will get stung in the end.

In the next couple of months, there will be meetings between representatives of Upper Fraser SFAB and various First Nations Bands to come up with compromises/resolutions so the same situation does not repeat itself on the river this season. Hopefully with some open dialogue, things will look brighter. I'll be keeping you all updated with this one. :)