Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River Chinook Fishing Closure  (Read 3336 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chilliwack River Chinook Fishing Closure
« on: March 16, 2005, 11:47:38 PM »

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=77634&ID=recreational

This action is taken as hatchery has reported a much higher and early return of chinook salmon in the system at the moment. Please release these with care when caught.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River Chinook Fishing Closure
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 01:35:33 AM »

Right on, bout time  :)
Actions speak louder than words.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 09:06:56 AM »

Appearantly these Red Springs are from the old run that has always been there but in terribly low numbers. This year the run is better and I understand the fisheries and hatchery are intending to capture a brood stock with the intent of giving us a hatchery Chinook fishery. Wow - that would be sweet - Springs from the Vedder January to April. Springs from the Fraser May to September. Then the White monsters for fall. Year round Sammi's  :o

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 10:14:16 AM »

Sweeeet

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 04:12:02 PM »

That sounds cool with me.  I just hope that people would respect the reason and would abide by the rule.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 05:29:08 PM »

That sounds great and if we happen to get an opening down the road (a few years) that's cool too. Smart sound choices and judgement. Just what we would like to see. Good on them.  :)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 10:35:32 AM »

wow...management that is both timely and specific to the river and a specific fish run...maybe there is hope for the DFO!

On a side note brood stocking for an early run so we could have and earlier hatchery red spring retention??? really.  Brood stocking to build up the early run may not do a darn thing...a group of organisms are considered a unique group if they cant breed with others in their species (usually due do a geographic barrier).  Is this early run just that: "early" fish ahead of the summer run of reds or is it a distinctive group that doesnt have the chance to mingle with the later group.

I have a feeling, just like summer/winter steelhead, they all spawn at the same time, they just enter the rivers at different points in time.  If thats the case then an early fishery is kinda pointless becuase each year you are just going to get a random number from that population returning early...

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 01:06:43 PM »

I have a feeling, just like summer/winter steelhead, they all spawn at the same time, they just enter the rivers at different points in time.  If thats the case then an early fishery is kinda pointless becuase each year you are just going to get a random number from that population returning early...

It would definitly be possible to enhance an early run if done right. On the Seymore they enhance the early run by netting coho in august, marking them (hole punch through dorsal fin), releasing them back into the river to ripen and then when they are collecting brood later on in the year, they specifiacally go after the marked fish.

In the case of a smaller run where it would be near impossible for recapture why not just put the fish into holding tanks and wait for them to ripen similar to what they do with steelhead.
Actions speak louder than words.