Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: whats up with this  (Read 4542 times)

Russ

• F%$# work lets go fishing!!
    • www.russell.photosite.com
whats up with this
« on: March 12, 2005, 08:42:44 PM »

Story
B.C. fishing fee raises ire of anglers

Global Calgary

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

A controversial fishing fee has many Alberta anglers steaming.

The fee is being charged by the B.C. government to fish in East Kootenay rivers and their tributaries.

Alberta fishermen say they're already paying enough for an out-of-province license.

Some calgary restaurants have come up with a unique way to protest the fee.

If you like a good B.C. wine with your meal at Amici's Italian Restaurant, you'd better move fast.

The wines may soon be moving off the shelves.

Tony Misuraca owns the restaurant and loves to fish in the East Kootenays. He doesn't understand the new fee.

"I think there's no reason really for it. I don't know if it's a tax grab if you want to call it that or it's just a few people in that area, a few local anglers or some of the guides that want the rivers for themselves," said Misuraca.

"And I don't think that's fair."

Last month the B.C. government passed the new $20 a day fee for non-residents angling in the East Kootenay region. That's on top of the almost $60 Albertans already have to pay for because they're from out-of-province.

Tony says that if that $20 fee isn't revoked or at least changed, then there's a very likely chance that the B.C. wines you can get at his restaurant, are going to be gone for good.

"We have to make a stand," said Misuraca. "We've got to make a voice and I think that's one way of doing it. I encourage other restaurants to do the same thing. It starts with the rivers what's going to be next? Golfing? Skiing?"

The fishin' hole

Across town at The Fishin' Hole shop, people like Bill Robertson is just as angry.

"I Have to pay $60, plus $20 a day to go fish in B.C. Something's not right," he said.

Robertson is considering never fishing in the East Kootenay's again -- and that's no small tale.

"It's gonna be hard to resist, and $20 isn't a big chunk for some of the good fishing they have there, But it's just a matter of principle. I'm not gonna support it by spending my money over there."

At Amici's Restaurant, the wine will stay -- for the moment anyway.

"I just want to be treated fairly and I think that everyone else does as well There's one way to fight back so I think everybody should get on the bandwagon and start doing something about it."

A group that represents Alberta Anglers intends to challenge the new fee in court.

It's also trying to talk to the B.C. government, small businesses and other angling associations to see if the fee can be rescinded.

Bantam_50

Re: whats up with this
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 08:49:14 PM »

All I can say is...it's about time...you wanna play ib beautiful BC...you have to pay.  ;D

Wouldn't see me griping if Alberta jacked their non-resident hunting fees. If I wanted to go there, I'd have to fork it out.

Bantam_50

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 12:09:02 AM »

Still --- its a bit of a joke to chrage 20 bucks a day

It wasn't a joke when they brought in a Classified Water Fee. If it's a pure tax grab....it's typical political play, no matter which Party is doing it. But it seems now at least more of our license fees are being directed back from where they came from. Not sure if the Ministry is shoter bugdeted than before....if not it's a start.

ps: maybe that 20 bucks a day fee...saved every BC'er from having their license fee go up?

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 12:17:14 AM »

Cry me a river :'(

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 01:39:44 PM »

It does seem to be a little bit to much for those fishermen that have been fishing that area for years
to be suddenly expected to shell out twenty bucks more each day. I mean it's not like travelling to Washington or Oregon where it's a different country. Are'nt people that live in Alberta Canadian's just like the people in BC. Just my two cent's worth but I know that if I had to pay 20 dollars each time out just because some politician wants to reach into my pocket (again) it would definitely peeve me off. ???

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 02:27:08 PM »

Well now that I live in alberta, I hear about this alot.  I would say about 99.9999999% of the fishers here are really pissed about that.  Even little flyers at the local fly shop, and articles in the paper.  And I can understand it.  A fishing liscence here is 20 per year, and that is for anyone, from anywhere.  In BC a similar license is 60 per year, and the only close BC water is an extra 20$ per day!  Thats nucking futs!  :P  And it affects the alberta residents as well as the locals of the small towns around the elk and such nice rivers.  People are actually going to stop fishing those rivers, and guides that I know are not going to be taking clients out there this summer.  In reality, the locals in those towns (many dollars are spent by albertans in BC) may suffer the most, because there is some incredible fishing here (My personal best was a 26in rainbow taken on a wolley bugger)

So my summary: People will not fish some really increadible rivers in BC, and instead, they will be hoarded by the locals (who are apparently keeping fish as seen by a lack of trophy fish in easily accessible sections) and the fishery may degrade to a lower level.  On top of that, there will be reduced income in some of those small towns.

Oh, and with that measly 20/year paid for a liscence, there are WAY more enforcement officers patroling, and generally handing out warnings and fines for barbed hooks, bait, poaching ect...  Makes me wonder where the BC lisence money goes to.

Really sucks for both sides of the provincial border.  So before you go and say "Cry me a river  :'( " maybe you should stop and think.

Anyways, taker easy, and see you on the river this april maybe  ;)

J5

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Actions speak louder than words.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 07:34:12 PM »

Just one more step toward the governments plan to follow Britain, and turn our fishery over to private lease hold operators.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"