Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1st 2005 Vedder River Cleanup Summary  (Read 7983 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
1st 2005 Vedder River Cleanup Summary
« on: January 29, 2005, 05:04:16 PM »

I will keep this fairly brief for now because we just arrived home not long ago. The turnout and support of the first Vedder River Cleanup was beyond our expectation today. Normally, for the January cleanup, we would see around 60 or so participants. Today, we had 130 enthusiastic volunteers who spent around 3 hours cleaning from the Chilliwack Salmon Hatchery to the Hwy 1 Bridge! The directors of CVRCC would like to thank and congratulate everyone for their hard work.

Before everyone headed out to the cleanup at 9:30am, a short presentation took place to recognize our five new river adopting groups. They are Pacific Developmental Pathway Ltd., Chilliwack Fish and Game Protective Association, Fraser Valley Regional District Parks, Chilliwack River Valley Ratepayers Association, Abbey Therapeutic Services. Doug Wilson from Fraser Valley Regional District presented our newly made signs to these groups. The signs will be posted up at their adopted sections very soon. The Adopt-a-River program is free, but we require adopting groups to attend our four cleanups per year.

Between 9:30am and 12:30pm, participants were assigned to different sections of the river to do the cleanup. The number of people assigned to each group depended on how messy the area was (our directors surveyed the area yesterday).

I was out with a small group of volunteers and we managed to sweep through sections of the river bank between Wilson Road and Tamahi. Most of the river banks were very clean, but most likely due to the recent high flood we had. The parking area, trails were a different story. Litters were scattered all over the place as usual. In the end, our group managed to collect around 8 bags of garbage as well as two bags of recyclable items.

One alarming trend was the number of abandoned car tires that were collected today. Volunteers also reported that parking lots such as the one at Lickman Road, were especially dirty.

We would like to thank Tim Horton's for donating dozens of donuts and coffee to reward our volunteers. We also like to thank KMS in Coquitlam for donating two dozen pickup tools, which made our older volunteers' life easier today. As usual, the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve was once again being a great host, otherwise we would not have a centralized meeting area. Finally, without the support of Fisheries and Oceans Canada, City of Chilliwack and Fraser Valley Regional District, our program would not be as successful as it is today.

This is certainly a great start of 2005. We're very overwhelmed by your support. If you continue to attend our cleanups, we will work hard to keep the Chilliwack Vedder River pleasant for all recreational users.

Photos from today

Tim Horton's donut and coffee station with our display.

New river adopting groups.

Filling up the stink mobile!

Loading up the Fraser Valley Region District truck!

Why are these volunteers so happy? :o ;D (Provided by Pepsitrev)

Still very happy.... (Provided by Pepsitrev)

A small portion of all garbage collected.

More garbage...

More photos to come later.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: 1st 2005 Vedder River Cleanup Summary
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 06:05:25 PM »

While cleaning our section, we ran across this on the beach:

That and about 3 garbage bags full of line, newspapers etc. and a bag of unknown contents that would have knocked you over if you kept it open too long..  :-X

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 06:23:56 PM »

So... Did you take home those Costco farmed steelhead that someone disposed by the riverside? ;)

More photos!

Our garbage were disposed at two sites:

Dumpsters at Chilliwack Fish and Games Club.

Dumpsters at Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve.

Every year, there will always be one or two unusual, mysterious, or even scary finds... Today, someone came across a bag of passport, medicare cards, cheques.... They were handed over to the RCMP this afternoon.

Oliver

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 06:25:36 PM »

Nice marijuana pictures.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 06:30:39 PM »

O what a great day it was for the Chilliwack/Vedder River Cleanup Coalition as we had so many anglers and other users of the River attend today. Lew will give an actual count but I think it was close to 140, a record for our cleanups other than BC Rivers Day which we have over 200.

It was a long day for the directors as George and I just back from taking the bottles into the depot, he will post the amount we took in with his photo's later. I think most directors put in 12 hours from the time they got up this morning. I know George was up at 3 am, so excited I guess about the cleanup, he was like a youngster waiting for Christmas Day. ;D ;D
It is great to have our new young directors George and 2:40 Gordie pitching in with us seniors. Also I admired Milo for coming out to take part even while recovering from his injury and he had to use a cane to take part, well done Milo and hope the spot I told you about got you a fish, you deserved one thats for sure. ;D

It would be great if those that attended today would post their thoughts and observations for the day and any suggestions to make it better, if that was possible after today.

Many thanks once from all the CVRCC  directors and of course from our precious Chilliwack/Vedder River to you all  that came out today to make it so successful. It was great as usual to meet so many old and new friends from FWR and other forums.

Those that could not make it to the cleanup this time we hope to see you for the next one in April, stay tunned for the date and we will try to get more donuts next time as we ran out today. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 06:35:15 PM by chris gadsden »

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 07:05:46 PM »

Chris et al,

Thanks for organizing - you guys did a bang up job.  Everything seemed to go very smoothly.  The only thing I would suggest is more and/or bigger dumpsters!  We didn't even get as far as the old couch we were supposed to pick up - my truck was full already. :-X

Guess it'll have to wait for the next one.

Nice to meet a few people from the board.  I'm sipping a Pepsi as I'm typing this.   ;D

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 07:08:30 PM »

more doughnuts yummy for my tummy

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 07:22:19 PM »

Nice marijuana pictures.

Funny I was thinking the same thing.

Buckeye

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 07:23:31 PM »

Nice reports Rod and Chris :)

I thought todays cleanup went very well and it sure was nice to recognize some faces I only know from this forum :)
A few interesting things were found once again, as you can see in pepsitrev's pics above  :o

As Rod mentioned, the RCMP came by to pick up some of our garbage for us. :D

Sure makes one wonder how that stuff ends up at the river side.

After a pleasant lunch with Terry, Rod, Nina and Aaron, Chris and I picked up the last of the bottles and cans and cashed them in at the bottle depot. We had guessed we had probably around $50 worth on the truck, so we were pleasantly surprised when the final total came to a whopping $78.30 :D
I also learned that Chris is quite the expert at sorting out bottles, between him and one of the depot employees they had them done in no time!

A big thanx to all the folks from FishBC and Screaming Reels who showed up as well, you guys are making it happen!
Hope to see many of you there again next time. :)

Cheers
George
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 07:26:00 PM by Buckeye »

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005, 08:49:38 PM »

Thanks to everyone who participated and special thanks to all of those who worked hard to make it happen!
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2005, 09:11:32 PM »

I guess my one major thought for the next one would be "Can you keep the weather the same?"  ;D  That was great timing!

Funny thing about those Fish sitting at the riverside, when I went to toss 'em in the garbage bag to clean up, I almost got beaten upon ::)

After cleaning up, we went up to the Hatchery to look around, and found a Kingfisher stuck in the netting over a smolt pen.  We managed to get a hand over it's head and eyes, and it took about 10-15 minutes to get it free from the net.  We were sure it was going to die of a heart attack.  It wasn't happy at first, but then calmed down.  When we finally let it go, it flew off, like nothing had been wrong.  Tough bird!  It had wraps around its legs and wings multiple times.  It looked so pitiful.

We talked to the gentleman from the hatchery who was there, and he said that they only get stuck in the net about every 3 months or so.  They are apparently excellent fliers, and can zoom right THROUGH the mesh, in and out. 

I was glad that the scout that volunteered to help had the chance to help clean, and to help free a trapped bird.  He had a great time.  If we hadn't had a camp the weekend before, I'm sure we'd be able to get out more kids.  We'll have to see next time.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2005, 09:45:23 PM »

Thanks Brian for your report and for bringing the scout out with you. This is the way I feel we will beat this thing, get the young generation to appreciate the environment and look after it.

I know I was taught at a very early age not to throw anything on the ground.

Buck_wife

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2005, 10:07:17 PM »

A job well done by all!
I know the Buck_kids quite thoroughly enjoyed themselves today, tromping through the mud and grass.....the youngest two even got their boots stuck in the mud and had to be pulled out by mom. ::) Kids will be kids I guess,  was tempted to leave the kids in their clothes and throw the whole works in the washing machine when we got home ;D ;D
I didnt know kids could get so excited about picking up garbage. Hopefully they didnt disturb the golfers with every excited shout they made, over something else that they had found   ;) :D (Now if they would only be that energetic and excited about cleaning up their bedrooms)   :-\

oh btw, "thanks for the frisbee you found for us, Mr.G" :from the kids.  :) :) :) :) (at our mini cleanup on thursday)

See you all at the next cleanup!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2005, 12:13:39 PM »

Thanks very much guys for a job well done in Fulcrum_Country. ;D ;D

lowtech

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 02:11:20 PM »

I had a good time on sat. I was sent with three other guys to the lower end and we managed a truck full of garbage.A couple of guys were bar fishing by a fire and seeing us picking up the garbage also picked up a bag full.Nice to see and appreciated.We missed the "adopt a river"part, congrats and thanks to the new guardians.Fished the bar at Lickman with Peter for a couple of hours no steel but great day anyways.Home early for Haggis and Scotch.I will be back. Cheers all, Todd