Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: flies with spinners  (Read 11997 times)

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
flies with spinners
« on: December 01, 2004, 10:04:03 AM »

Hey fishers, 

some fishers I know are looking to try tying spinner type flies.  I seem to recall that someone here has done this.  Floon perhaps?

Anyways, if you are out there, drop me a line as some of these guys would really like to know about those flies.

Thanks,

Jon

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
Re: flies with spinners
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 10:51:40 AM »

In front of the fly, place a small blade with a "C" on the leader with a bead to protect the knot. 

FLYallAROUND

• Getzlaf is amazing
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 06:03:43 PM »

or are they talking about the spinner fly that is a dry fly? theres one named a spinner i know that for sure

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 10:23:02 PM »

Nah, the kind of flies with small blades above them is the idea.  We were on the topic of using a willow leaf as an attractor, and I remembered that I read about some experimental flies with spinners included.

Cheers,

Jon

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 07:52:53 AM »

Some guys put a few beads and a spinner blade ahead of a bucktail when trolling it behind a boat in the salt.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 02:07:43 PM »

Spudcote, thats bucktailing... i do that sometimes for coho when tiried of cutting bait... but back to tying flies with spinner.  If you tie flies with a spinner, might as well use a spinner with a spinning rod.. why bother with all the fuss... Fly fishing is fly fishing, can't mixed up with spinner and all those crap. IF you going fly fishing, use a real fly, not with those spinners, spoons, BS.... goodluck fishing.

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 03:08:04 PM »

DITTO, well said steelhead king
Please honey can i go fishing now???

TtotheE

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 04:44:01 PM »

That was back in July when someone spoke of "propellers" on a fly.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=3726.0

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 05:35:15 PM »

Yeh Marco, thats what I meant, it can be pretty productive where we fish up North.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 05:35:51 PM »

Spudcote, thats bucktailing... i do that sometimes for coho when tiried of cutting bait... but back to tying flies with spinner.  If you tie flies with a spinner, might as well use a spinner with a spinning rod.. why bother with all the fuss... Fly fishing is fly fishing, can't mixed up with spinner and all those crap. IF you going fly fishing, use a real fly, not with those spinners, spoons, BS.... goodluck fishing.

Well, if we all did that we would still be in caves with bones through our noses  ::)

Anyways TtotheE, I think that is the one.  Good memory.  It was a little discussion that I was having at fly tye tuesdays here in calgary, and I thought I remembered some discussion about that a long time ago.  

Anyways, I will look into it more.  Thanks,

Jon

Anyone know where to get the blades on these flies?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 09:10:32 PM by Jonny 5 »

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 10:19:07 PM »

Well, then i guess what ever you do can only be called "spinner-fly fishing"...   Just like those guys at a well know fly shop, spey fish with a "dick-nite" spoon at the end of their line instead of a fly.  Well you can do whatever you want... But to me and most of the "real" fly fishermen out there... That is SPINNER FISHING.

TtotheE

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 11:42:37 PM »

I'd have to agree with Steelhead King about the spinner fishing ordeal.

But anyways,  you'd be looking into finding "rounded" or "pointed" propeller blades.  A quick google and it throws out a few sites,  mostly american that sell them.  In that thread over the summer, someone mentioned that they can be found in a few local shops.  The search words I used to find the thread were "propeller flies".  ;)

ff3000

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 12:42:17 AM »

Well, then i guess what ever you do can only be called "spinner-fly fishing"...   Just like those guys at a well know fly shop, spey fish with a "dick-nite" spoon at the end of their line instead of a fly.  Well you can do whatever you want... But to me and most of the "real" fly fishermen out there... That is SPINNER FISHING.

Exactly what flyshop are you talking about, and why would you slander them in a public forum?  And what makes you a "real" flyfisherman?  I remember reading a post about you catching your first trout the fly not too long ago...maybe a year and a half?  ::)

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 08:33:14 AM »

Exactly what flyshop are you talking about, and why would you slander them in a public forum?  And what makes you a "real" flyfisherman?  I remember reading a post about you catching your first trout the fly not too long ago...maybe a year and a half?  ::)
Yup, sure. :)

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 08:44:35 AM »

Went to the store yesterday.  The "C" is calles a clevis.  You can usually buy these and blades at the tackle stores.  Find a store that sells lure making equipment and parts.  I have also seen the propeller flies on the internet.  I think that some people have been using  the propeller infront of leach patterns.