Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: flies with spinners  (Read 11996 times)

river

Re: flies with spinners
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2004, 09:30:42 AM »

And i suppose if you weight a fly with lead barbells it turns it into a pickerel jig right?
Cripes, this site is so full of those 'more wholesome than thou' folks!
If it catches fish, and you gotta hurl it by your head on the end of a flyline, that's cool. Although, i question the ethical legality of using it in flyfishing only waters.
I consider a line drawn at baiting or scenting flies... that's just wrong in my opinion.

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2004, 11:16:09 AM »

i question the ethical legality of using it in flyfishing only waters.
I consider a line drawn at baiting or scenting flies... that's just wrong in my opinion.

It's not just your opinion.  The regs are quite clear on that point: "artificial fly ... a single-pointed hook that is dressed only with fur, feathers, hair, textiles, tinsel and/or wire, and to which no external weight or external attracting device is attached."

So the spinner rig would be illegal in both "fly fishing only" and "artificial fly only" waters, but fine where gear is permitted.

But by that definition, even some common fly tying materials (bead heads, foam, rubber legs etc.) might be seen as illegal, so there may be a grey area.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2004, 03:14:03 PM »

Well, then i guess what ever you do can only be called "spinner-fly fishing"...   Just like those guys at a well know fly shop, spey fish with a "dick-nite" spoon at the end of their line instead of a fly.  Well you can do whatever you want... But to me and most of the "real" fly fishermen out there... That is SPINNER FISHING.
Lets see how many quotes I can use

Well, I guess in your "expert" opinion. I am not a "Real" fly fisherman.  However, if you look at my avatar, I am "the holiest" fisher that ever was. 

Anyhow, I am glad I got some good info, with only one elitist opinion.   Thanks to all who contributed in a progressive manner.

Cheerio,

Jon

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2004, 04:42:56 PM »

Exactly what flyshop are you talking about, and why would you slander them in a public forum?  And what makes you a "real" flyfisherman?  I remember reading a post about you catching your first trout the fly not too long ago...maybe a year and a half?  ::)

Me? slander them in a public forum?? if i really wanted to, i can post the name but why?? I just want to bring out the issues not blashing that shop...   Yes, i sure did caught my first stillwater trout on the fly 2 season ago.. that is becasue i spend way too much time fly fishing for many other speices beside trout. 

TtotheE

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2004, 06:01:11 PM »

I've seen alot of patterns on the net with the propellers,  mostly on wooly buggers.

The only reason I could suggest for not placing a prop on my fly would be for casting reasons.  I could see it making my leader into a huge spiralled mess  ;)  In which case,  I might as well tie some patterns onto a siwash hook and stick it on a spinner.  Also,  I wonder how much drag the fly would create while you're casting?  What would be a suggested rod weight to cast the prop fly in order to turn it? However,  there could be potential presentation advantages of using a fly line.  Lots to think about  :D

ff3000

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2004, 08:51:18 PM »

Me? slander them in a public forum?? if i really wanted to, i can post the name but why?? I just want to bring out the issues not blashing that shop...   Yes, i sure did caught my first stillwater trout on the fly 2 season ago.. that is becasue i spend way too much time fly fishing for many other speices beside trout. 

There's only really one flyshop in town, so it doesn't take a genius to figure out which one you're talking about.  So what I don't understand is why a rookie feels he has the right to be trash talking guys who really know how to use a flyrod and speyrod?  Why do you have to pretend?  It's just like your handle in this forum...how many steelhead have you really caught in the past?  I never see you in any of the rivers?  It's just not cool to read about people beaking off on other people, that's all...gives flyfishers a bad rap.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2004, 12:07:05 AM »

I'm not trashing anyone here and if i have by mistake, I'm sorry. But from the first post i made on this topic, i just aim at the issue; fly fishing with a spinner, and expressing my opinion. You all have the rights to do whatever you wanted, you can even fish bait at the end of your line with a fly/spey outfit and still called fly fishing....  

" There's only really one flyshop in town.."
There are 3 fly shop and about 5-6 fly/ tackle store close by where i live and all within 30 min drive...

" how may steelhead have you really caught in the past?"
Not as much as i like but still caught enough to keeps me happy.

" I never see you in any of the rivers?"
Cause i like my personal space.

About my handle on the forum... Its just a name, its just a name that i picked sinces day one  i joined this forum.  Just like one of my friend called Blackfish, is that mean he is a killer whale??

I have enough said on this topic, and if we keep going like this, we will never reach the end..