Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scudback problems and materials  (Read 4973 times)

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
Scudback problems and materials
« on: November 30, 2004, 03:53:36 PM »

When tying in the scud-back on a Mustad 37160 #14 I cant keep the scud-back in place, tried giving it more tension, centering it exactly, less tension and keeps slipping off, tried trimming the dubbing at the top of the fly and it seems to work better, I'm using 1/8 scud-back made by Harline Dubbin, it may be too narrow but I feel the 1/4 is too wide for this size of fly.
Heard that using plastic bags cut in strips (freezer lock bags) will be better as it's cheaper and I can cut them to any size I wish.
Any advise would be appreciated :)
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

FLYallAROUND

• Getzlaf is amazing
Re: Scudback problems and materials
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 05:30:07 PM »

a little tip for the scud back and the ziplock bags. once u have cut them to width u like(bags neways), cut a narrow point at the end you will be tying to the hook shank. this way it will not move around so much and the tying should be easier.

Centerpin

• To Fish Or Not To Fish Such A Stupid Question
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 08:51:51 PM »

Hey Flyfisherman:

I have had the same problem in the past, someone told me to try a little head cement on the underside, not to much or it will act as a lubricant and make things worse. I found that a older bottle of sally hansen hard as nails, that has thickend a little works great.
No Nookie Like Chinookie

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 08:49:04 AM »

I use Zip-lok sanwich bags.  The plastic is thinner.  I've never had any trouble with tying in the strip.  Lay down a layer of thread along the shank.  You could try some dubbing wax to make it sticky.  Cut the "V" it does help.