Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Street justice?  (Read 8454 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Street justice?
« on: November 20, 2004, 02:43:45 AM »

So my brother just returned home after spending a few hours in the hospital tonight. While driving early this evening, he apparently cut someone off by mistake. The driver who was cut off got out of the car and approached my brother's at the traffic lights, and proceeded to punched him in the face after exchanging a few words. The driver then fled before my brother could compose himself to record the license plate number.

For those of you who have stated taking the law into your own hands to right the wrongs, think again. Those who you decide to lay street justice on are someone's friends and family. Pathetic.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
Re: Street justice?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 05:32:40 AM »

Sorry to hear what happened to your brother.  I had a similar incident with a psycho loser about over a year ago.  I was driving eastbound on Kingsway on my way home from UBC and a Ford Mustang going over 100kph almost rear ended my car.  It was definately his fault and he threatened to kill me.  Well, from my own instincts, I didn't say a single word back to him. I didn't even turn my head to look at his face, just my eyes. I was really worried that he might have a gun in his car and he would pull the trigger at me. In my opinion, your brother should never have rolled down the windows completely to an unknown stranger who might act dangerously. Though, he did the right thing by taking down the license plate number.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 08:12:24 PM by Long_Cast »

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 06:12:00 AM »

Let's not confuse road rage and "street justice" with standing up and defending what's right.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 06:38:25 AM »

Violence directed towards other drivers is definately not right.  I hate it when I see road rage.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 07:10:51 AM »

Thats totally not cool. I am sorry your brother had to go through that. If the guy was upset at your brother all he had to do was talk to him and maybe get an apology but violence isnt the answer.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 09:56:54 AM »

My personal favorite is the irate cyclist. Now I have no problems with cyclists, in fact I have a few friends who ride their bikes everywhere. The ones I have a problem with are the ones who think they own the road the ones that try to compete with cars and insist on driving slower than the vehicles.

Rod sorry to hear about your brother, I hope he's okay. The guy that did this to him will get out of his car and snap on the wrong person, its just a matter of time.

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 10:28:31 AM »

I once got into a bit of a road rage challenge from the gaglardi exit all the way until Harris road in pitt meadows.  This goof in a VW didn't see my turn singnal and tried to side swipe me.  After the 140KPH cat and mouse along the highway, we got to a red light and he sure looked worried when a big guy in dark glasses chomping on a big fat cigar stared him down and followed him for a bit.   ;D ;D 

Fulcrum, you are part of the problem.  There is no way anything anybody else does should cause you to drive 140 km/h on the highway.  I'm all for speeding on wide open highways with good visibility, but if there's traffic ("cat and mouse") that's just wrong.

If somebody does something stupid on you, just shake your head and go your own way.  Getting into any kind of pissing contest just encourages more aggressive driving.

IMHO

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 11:22:18 AM »

For those of you who have stated taking the law into your own hands to right the wrongs, think again. Those who you decide to lay street justice on are someone's friends and family. Pathetic.

Sorry to here about your brother Rod. I would take justice into my own hands however if I saw someone breaking into my car as i've had enough of thieves as I have a 0% tolerance for them.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 02:49:59 PM by Fishin Freak »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 01:18:49 PM »

Sorry about your brother Rod. Hope he's OK.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 01:38:41 PM »

Let's not confuse road rage and "street justice" with standing up and defending what's right.

Good point Keith, someone else brought this up on the other post too: http://forum.fishbc.com/index.php?showtopic=14608 and he put it together pretty nicely. I buy. :) But I still believe under certain situations, it's best to let the boys and gals in the uniform to deal with it than taking it into your own hands.

My personal favorite is the irate cyclist. Now I have no problems with cyclists, in fact I have a few friends who ride their bikes everywhere. The ones I have a problem with are the ones who think they own the road the ones that try to compete with cars and insist on driving slower than the vehicles.

Hey Muddler, I agree. Being someone who used to be on the road with a bike 20 hours per week, I must say some cyclists should not be on the road. There is a couple of courses at Cycling BC www.cycling.bc.ca that people can take to learn how to ride in traffic etc. I highly recommend it. The respect has to come from both sides though. Many cyclists need to slow down on the road and avoid blocking up traffic. Motorists need to give cyclists a bit more room at times to provide that comfort zone.

Anyways, bro's fine, should recover in a few days. The black eye can probably attract more chicks now. ::) ;)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 01:57:56 PM »

I hate road ragers...and I tend to find that a high majority of them drive German cars. Its seems Audi, Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes tell their customers that now they have a German car, they are more important than everyone else. That they can drive faster and do crazier stuff.

One must also consider the sadly lacking infastructure of this city. I can't even believe we are still pondering the RAV line to the airport. This city's rapid transit is so far behind its a joke. And it all piles up in the traffic sector.

Rod, I agree...no street justice, but I do maintain that it is legally important for a person to defend himself.

Next time some one appraches you aggresively while you are in the driver's seat, remember...your door makes an excellent weapon. ;)
You don't make friends with salad.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 02:48:51 PM »

Road rage:  if somebody does something dumb in traffic and I have to take evasive action, like braking hard, I try to remind myself, "well, he's already screwed you over once; don't go letting him mess with your mind as well."  And I go on about my business and figure that guy will get paid back somewhere down the line.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2004, 03:28:44 PM »

a high majority of them drive German cars. Its seems Audi, Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes tell their customers that now they have a German car, they are more important than everyone else.

That's because you're in North Vancouver... Come to Richmond, it's Honda city. ;)

Totally agree with the public transport system too.... We are so dependent on cars here. You've lived in Europe, and see how much more advanced they are. ;)

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2004, 04:42:18 PM »

hi rod,soory to hear that about your brother,did he got the licence plate number ??

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2004, 04:46:11 PM »

hi rod,soory to hear that about your brother,did he got the licence plate number ??

Here's your answer.

The driver then fled before my brother could compose himself to record the license plate number.

Sorry to hear about your brother Rodney. I hope he gets better soon.