Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leader debate  (Read 5432 times)

Simon2

• I'm a llama!
Leader debate
« on: October 24, 2004, 10:29:02 PM »

A friend of mine and I debating on this.  He says that if he goes above a 12lbs line for his leader the salmon can see the line and won't bite.  I say, I can go up to 20 lbs. leader.    What is the  heaviest leader that we can use without spooking the fish? 

What kind of line do you use for leaders?
What color?

carpman

• I'm a llama!
Re: Leader debate
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 10:30:59 PM »

I guess it would depend on the species.  I have seen lots of people use 20 Ib leaders for springs and chums.  For coho, 8 Ib seems to be what everyone uses.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 10:36:17 PM »

It depends, I was fishing early this year for springs in 20 degree sunny weather and I was using 20 lb (ran outta 10) and I was still getting lots. As for coho, I usually use 10 but go down to 6 if its really clear.
Actions speak louder than words.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 12:09:18 AM »

Depends on the water visibility. Turbid water like the Fraser you can get away with using 20 lb. It is low and clear downsize your leaders to 6-8 lb. I use 10 lb. leader and I do OK.

TtotheE

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 12:47:02 AM »

15 lb main and 8 lb leader.  Landed some huge springs/chum with the setup.  Amazing how much you can heave on 8 lb leader without it breaking,  as long as you've checked your line and knots for nicks/scratches.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 07:22:31 AM »

Probably the pickiest fish is the Coho.  The clearer the water, the lower the test on your leader - right down to 6.

Chum, Spring, and Pink - all nice aggressive fish.

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 08:00:50 AM »

8lb usually or 10lb at the most, with a 12lb main.  Colour... I used UG
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

Simon2

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 08:48:11 AM »

So he was correct?  Here's the problem then, how do you keep the line from breaking?  Either the 10-12 lbs line is not strong enough or the teeth will cut the line.  What's the typical number of minutes of play before the fish will tire out?  30 mins?

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 10:25:22 AM »

For gear fishing:
1. Presenting wool and roe --I use 4 - 8 lbs. test.  It gives it a most natural movement on the water.
2. Spinners and spoons --I use 10 - 14 lbs. test.  The lure is big enought for the fish not to notice my leader.

For fly fishing I use 4 - 8 lbs. tippet.  The fly that I use are very small.  So for it to have the right movement the leader/tippet have to be really small.

You do not have to absolutely tire the fish.  You just have to maneuver the fish to where you want them to end up so that you can land them.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 10:30:20 AM »

What's the typical number of minutes of play before the fish will tire out?  30 mins?

Really depends on the fish and whether you know what you're doing. I've never needed 30 minutes to land a fish.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 11:40:33 AM »

There isn't really a standard, it's whatever works best for you.  If you can catch as many fish as your friend using 20lb leader then obviously the fish aren't being spooked by your leader.  Personally I believe leader test really depends on fishing conditions and species targeted.  Coho are the pickiest fish, but if you're fishing fairly turbid conditions you can go up in leader strength without spooking fish.  You're less likely to have fish break off too. If you're fishing low clear waters on a sunny day then small presentations with light leader.  Say a #4 hook using 4-6 pound test leader.  Myself, the range in leader is anywhere from 4 (don't use it too often, but have done so in the past) up to about 15 lbs (fraser for sockeye and springs) and I use Maxima ultra green.  Some people swear by the fluorocarbon stuff but it's kind of expensive.  To keep the line from breaking, you have to play the fish properly.   That's why you spent money on a decent rod and reel.  The rod will act as a shock absorber between you and the fish so that there is some give and prevents the line from just snapping.  The reel's drag system (hopefully smooth) allows line to be played out if the fish pulls harder than what your "shock absorber" can stand.  And yes, you will lose fish to snapped leaders due to things like abrasion due to rubbing on rocks, salmon teeth, poorly tied knots etc.  That's why it's really important to check both your leader and mainline for abrasion nicks periodically.  There is no typical length of time to catch a fish.  I remember fishing the Vedder for red springs last year.  The four reds I caught there lasst season were all docile and very accomodating.  Didn't have to move more than a few feet to the shore to beach them.  Couple of small runs, and then beached nicely.  My buddy who was fishing the same spot had fish that took him way up and then way down and then up again...you get the idea.  Don't force the fish, just land them when THE FISH are ready NOT when you are.
President Club S. C. & P.

Simon2

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 12:51:49 PM »

Thanks.  I think I understand.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 03:06:56 PM »

I use 10lb. as a general rule.  Sometimes 12, sometimes 8, some times 6 and I've caught coho on 4lb.  All Ultragreen...Sport Fishing BC say's it's the best ;D

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 06:45:26 PM »

What are the chances of landing big springs 30ibs + with 10ib leaders?  I have had a lot break off.