Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dream day on Vedder oct 24  (Read 7125 times)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
dream day on Vedder oct 24
« on: October 24, 2004, 03:57:16 PM »

After getting to our favourite spot on the Vedder Rob and I can see a big school of fat coho just hanging out. Rob starts fishing before me and gets a hatchery coho first cast, and bonks it. I start with my purple mariboo jig and a coho follows it right to shore and swallows it in 10 inches of water.  Great fight but it snaps my 10lb line.  I switch to my fly rod with a egg sucking leach, perfect cast to the other side of the pool and I start retrieving in short strips. WHAM, fish on! Lots of coho rolls and twists later I have my first ever Vedder fly caught hatchery coho. 9lbs. A few casts again and another coho hits hard, another good fight but it snaps my leader again. After this it slowed down for a while so I move a little upstream. Now its brighter out and I can see my fly in the water, I love this because I see the next hatchery fish swim right up and inhale the fly. As I set the hook I can feel that this is a bigger fish, it takes a few seconds for the coho to to realize its hooked then it takes off across the river, upriver, down river, in the air, big head shakes. Finally it gets tired and I'm worried about landing this one as Rob is playing his own fish and can't do the belly rub for me. But the coho co-operates and I slide my hand under his belly and lift him up. What a beauty!! About 14lbs. By now Rob has got his limit of 4 hatchery coho and a few released wild ones, so I have to catch up. Rob has got all his fish on colorodo blades and blue foxes.  I'm determined to really enjoy this flyfishing thing so I stick with the fly rod. ( I'm becomeing one of those fly snobs)     10 min later I watch another hatchery coho come up and take my fly, now that I have two fish I really take my time and enjoy the fight. Nice to relax and have the pressure off. I get this fish to shore and keep it. 5 min later I have another hatch on. Two guys are watching from across the river as I play the fish, when I get the fish in I decide that I can get a bigger one still and let it go. This tortures the two across the river as they have been having a bad day so far. Rob who is still patiently waiting for me to catch up says letting the hatchery coho go is bad Karma and I have now pissed off the fish gods. He was right because after that the fish moved on and we hooked no more.  What a great day and I finally christened my new rod.
Fish on!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: dream day on Vedder oct 24
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 04:05:44 PM »

great report. what was the condition of the fish? they still chromish, or have they turned a little?

mid river? ;)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 04:10:56 PM »

Still bright, I'll post a picture but they look pretty bashed up from my garbage bag. yes mid river. Hows your season been blayd?
Fish on!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 04:20:20 PM »

thus far, the coho gods have been stingy.  a total of 9 hookups, but none landed.  6 were lost due to carelessness ::), 3 were lost due to careless people crossing my line >:(....no shortage of springs and chums :P

...just happy to be on the river :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 06:16:03 PM »

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 07:49:01 PM »

Good report BP. Wish I had had as much luck as you. All I had to show for my efforts were loads of dirty chums and springs and one wild coho. Fished the same spots as on friday but the fish just weren't moving through like they were before. Oh well there's always next time.
Actions speak louder than words.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 08:49:40 PM »

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this. While I was walking by ranger run today I saw a guy with what appeared to be a sawed off shotgun slung over his back. Anyone else see it?

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 08:58:27 PM »

Holy crap. Guess he wants to win the gong show battles.
Fish on!

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 10:03:46 PM »

tookmy younger brother out to day to get him a few fish so we went to a nice chum pool i no dozens of chum on until one snapped my "ecellent" trophy xl rod 10 footer had it about a month and a halgf

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 10:39:20 PM »

Maybe I shoulda directed them towards osbourne road  :P

Bantam_50

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 10:44:04 PM »

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this. While I was walking by ranger run today I saw a guy with what appeared to be a sawed off shotgun slung over his back. Anyone else see it?

I take it biffchan you aren't aware of the bears and cougar that are frequenting the Thurston Meadows to Hatchery area. I'd say someone wanted some fish for the smoker and maybe some bear sausage also.  ;)

That area is open to hunting with shotguns.

btw - I also understand now they've posted a bear warning down in the Lickman Rd. area.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 10:46:23 PM by Bantam_50 »

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 10:50:38 PM »

time to get the bear scares out! ;)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2004, 11:04:23 PM »

jeez, I hadn't heard that! I see the prints around a lot.
Fish on!

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 12:11:02 AM »

I also have a very excellent day fly fishing.  Caught my limit of hatchery cohos.  I figured out that I can increase my coho fishing time by just quickly break off the tippet when a chinook or large chum bites.  I was not in the mood to be playing and wasting valuable coho fishing time.  I lost quite a number of flies --but its worth it.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 05:10:57 AM »

It's illegal however to shoot off a rifle on the banks of the vedder near the hatchery.