Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Land Act changes  (Read 9301 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Land Act changes
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2024, 03:23:48 PM »

well face it they represent their funders.

I'd also say I know or have known some pretty 'conservative' people who attend talks at the Fraser Institute regularly but would disagree with their take. Those folks think we need to bring FNs into the economy on their terms. Most businesses coming into BC  don't care much who they deal with but more about the total cost & how reliable the situation is... long term stability is the big issue for them.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

sthdslayer

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2024, 11:21:41 AM »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

redside1

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2024, 08:23:16 AM »

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-scrapping-land-act-amendments-plagued-by-misinformation-minister-says-1.6778107

with the election coming the NDP had to blink so they can trick the voters.
Now everyone will forget about this and after the election when the NDP is voted back in they will pass it with no issues.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2024, 10:58:09 AM »

this. :/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2024, 06:06:02 PM »

In the "Sky is Falling foofaraw" most "commentators" seemed to miss what the posted engagements summaries actually said:

The proposed amendments to the Land Act will:

Allow individuals who fish, hunt and recreate to continue to do so on the land, and will allow ranchers and farmers to continue their way of life and important work.

Have no effect on tenures, renewals, private properties, or access to crown land.

Provide durability of decisions that will help to unlock B.C.’s economic potential."

Ensure transparency and public consultation in any future agreement on shared decision-making negotiated by a First Nation and the Province.

Require that the public, stakeholders and proponents are engaged in the discussion of any agreement that contemplates changes or impacts to the public or third-party interests.

The proposed amendments to the Land Act will not:

Lead to broad, sweeping, or automatic changes.

Provide a ‘veto.’ This has been acknowledged by First Nations and legal experts.

Compel the government to enter into an agreement as both the Provincial and a First Nation government need to make an active decision to enter into a negotiation for shared decision-making.

it's all spelled out contrary to so many fears - fishing, hunting farming on Crown Land will continue as it has for all  - there will be no changes

There will be no veto for FNs

Government is not compelled to enter into a agreement with FNs.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 10:14:55 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2024, 07:12:47 AM »

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/first-nations-leaders-disgusted-that-opposition-derailed-proposed-bc-land-act-amendments-1.6779515#:~:text=British%20Columbia's%20First%20Nations%20Leadership,the%20use%20of%20public%20land.

British Columbia's First Nations Leadership Council is expressing extreme disappointment over the provincial government's decision to drop planned amendments to the Land Act that would have cleared the way for a shared decision-making process with First Nations when it comes to the use of public land.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 07:14:48 AM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2024, 07:27:05 AM »

... and they ought to be. The knee jerk bigoted reaction still functions perfectly in this Province. Shame!

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2024, 07:51:41 AM »

Difference of opinion on how nation to nation negotiations should be handled does not make one a bigot. Although I do see the advantage of painting the opposition as such
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 07:57:13 AM by wildmanyeah »

redside1

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2024, 08:34:27 AM »

Difference of opinion on how nation to nation negotiations should be handled does not make one a bigot. Although I do see the advantage of painting the opposition as such

Always best to paint a difference of opinion has being a bigot. Ever notice how it seems only colonials are bigots/racist but never ever anyone on the other side?
I do wonder when this does get changed (thinking NDP win next election) what the future will hold in a few years once a FN band does not get their way and take the decision to court and the ruling comes down under the adopted UNDRIP law.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2024, 07:34:22 AM »

Bigotry, prejudice, racism these are all terms that describe particular kinds of opinions and beliefs about "othered" groups of people that are not supported evidence or facts. While the insecurity and fear of changes the proposed changes to the Land Act are typical, the accusations that there is an hidden agenda to restrict access to a particular group, revoke customary rights to "the commons" and deny due process are not and not supported by facts or evidence. That these false claims are as usually hung on FNs (and there political allies) , is consistent with "B", "P" and "R" terms that have consistently characterized such "negotiations" in BC for over a century and a half. So it is pretty hard to wiggle out of such descriptions given that history and how consistent the hysterical opposition is to that history.

SuperBobby

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2024, 09:29:35 AM »

Bigotry, prejudice, racism these are all terms that describe particular kinds of opinions and beliefs about "othered" groups of people that are not supported evidence or facts. While the insecurity and fear of changes the proposed changes to the Land Act are typical, the accusations that there is an hidden agenda to restrict access to a particular group, revoke customary rights to "the commons" and deny due process are not and not supported by facts or evidence. That these false claims are as usually hung on FNs (and there political allies) , is consistent with "B", "P" and "R" terms that have consistently characterized such "negotiations" in BC for over a century and a half. So it is pretty hard to wiggle out of such descriptions given that history and how consistent the hysterical opposition is to that history.

Ask any non first nations hunter (moose especially) who has regularly been hunting region 6, 7, and the west half of region 5 for over 30 years about the changes and access restrictions that have taken place (more keep coming with every passing year), and even you'll find your entire post is complete BS. Non first nations fishermen and hunters are being discriminated against more than ever these days and you know I'm right. The example I provided is one of many. I could post 20 more, but you'll just reply with your normal political word salad full of big words with no substance.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2024, 01:05:34 PM »

Word salad, that’s pretty funny.