Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BC Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund  (Read 4772 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
BC Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund
« on: January 06, 2024, 12:50:18 PM »

Members may be interested in reading about a variety of salmon related projects that are being funded across the province through the BC Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund.

This is one news article about one such project:
https://globalnews.ca/news/10173723/tire-chemical-salmon-funidng-research/amp/

You can read more about the other projects here:
https://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fisheries-peches/initiatives/fish-fund-bc-fonds-peche-cb/projects-projets-eng.html

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
Re: BC Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 08:44:00 PM »

Thanks for the post Clarki, was a great read!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 09:41:38 PM »

Thanks for the post Clarki, was a great read!

+1!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 08:37:11 AM »

Thanks
It ain't the roe bro'

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 01:29:37 PM »

notice the % of funding that goes towards projects that affect any of us in the lower mainland.. Not saying the other projects are not valuable but still.. 
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 08:38:13 PM »

I noticed a decent amount of funding going towards 6ppd research which is good. I didn't total up the numbers but weren't we promised 600 or 650 million?

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 08:52:48 PM »

I noticed a decent amount of funding going towards 6ppd research which is good. I didn't total up the numbers but weren't we promised 600 or 650 million?
you got it mixed up, that's what they're sending to Ukraine

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2024, 09:42:44 PM »

@Darko, I suggest that it's too narrow a perspective to just look at the dollar values assigned to the map icons and claim that a region is being underfunded.

For example, the very first project on the list: the BCWF wetlands project. BCWF is located in Surrey and the map icon shows the funding investment located there, yet the project is for installations "throughout BC". I didn't audit the list thoroughly, so there could be many others where the investment has impacts beyond where on the map the icon is located.

Another example are the projects along the coast; all salmon (including those from the Lower Mainland) will benefit from research on kelp reforestation.

When you say "affect any of us in the lower mainland" are you talking about fishing opportunities for Lower Mainland residents?  I would argue that many of the projects in the interior and north along rivers in the Fraser watershed could potentially result in more salmon swimming past your Lower Mainland door. 

Lastly, and holistically, I would suggest that everything is connected and when there is kelp reforestation in Haida Gwaii, invasive green crab mitigation in Georgia Strait, or habitat restoration on the Nicola River, everyone benefits, including Lower Mainland residents.

So yeah, I see it differently :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2024, 08:23:06 AM »

you got it mixed up, that's what they're sending to Ukraine

While I saw the point in your original comment I think it would be a  benefit to keep the discussion on topic and not resort to blatantly foolish remarks.

I didn't do much of a detailed review of the projects across the Province. It did seem to me that what was happening in the Lower Fraser was rather limited. I often wonder what are various local Non-profit groups are doing in this regard. Clarki makes a good point as the loss of kelp beds, which Darko, you never saw, has likely had a big effect on salmon, herring, steelhead and trout populations. However the cynical side of me makes me wonder if there isn't an attitude that the LM isn't really worth bothering with, the Province and local governments have historically been more keen on destroying those resources. We are all so happy with one or two over abundant hatchery runs & 3 or 4 weeks of HOT HOT flossing and snagging. So few people here seem to care.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 06:11:40 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fisherforever

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2024, 08:55:41 AM »

anyone remember this from about 15 years ago? ;) https://i.imgur.com/M8wdDGN.jpg Forgot to add this quoted from Ralphs previous post "We are all so happy with one or two over abundant hatchery runs & 3 or 4 weeks of HOT HOT flossing and snagging. So few people here seem to care." I put this sign up at Peach Rd, Lickman Rd and Keith Wilson run and took a pic and posted here and couldn't believe the chit storm it caused.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 09:16:30 AM by fisherforever »

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2024, 09:37:12 AM »

@Darko, I suggest that it's too narrow a perspective to just look at the dollar values assigned to the map icons and claim that a region is being underfunded.

For example, the very first project on the list: the BCWF wetlands project. BCWF is located in Surrey and the map icon shows the funding investment located there, yet the project is for installations "throughout BC". I didn't audit the list thoroughly, so there could be many others where the investment has impacts beyond where on the map the icon is located.

Another example are the projects along the coast; all salmon (including those from the Lower Mainland) will benefit from research on kelp reforestation.

When you say "affect any of us in the lower mainland" are you talking about fishing opportunities for Lower Mainland residents?  I would argue that many of the projects in the interior and north along rivers in the Fraser watershed could potentially result in more salmon swimming past your Lower Mainland door. 

Lastly, and holistically, I would suggest that everything is connected and when there is kelp reforestation in Haida Gwaii, invasive green crab mitigation in Georgia Strait, or habitat restoration on the Nicola River, everyone benefits, including Lower Mainland residents.

So yeah, I see it differently :)

Valid points, yes I was referring to fishing opportunities in the Lower mainland. While they may be swimming by. We will never have a shot at them. How many openings for salmon is their in the lower fraser? Comparing opportunities just 20 years ago and today is a night and day difference.

While I saw the point in your original comment I think it would be a  benefit to keep the discussion on topic and not resort to blatantly foolish remarks.

I didn't do much of a detailed review of the projects across the Province. It did seem to me that what was happening in the Lowe Fraser was rather limited. I often wonder what are various local Non-profit groups are doing in this regard. Clarki makes a good point as the loss of kelp beds, which Darko, you never saw, has likely had a big effect on salmon, herring, steelhead and trout populations. However the cynical side of me makes me wonder if there isn't an attitude that the LM isn't really worth bothering with, the Province and local governments have historically been more keen on destroying those resources. We are all so happy with one or two over abundant hatchery runs & 3 or 4 weeks of HOT HOT flossing and snagging. So few people here seem to care.

well it's not that off topic. This thread is about how our government is spending our tax dollars. Sure that may be a terrific study. Although I'm willing to bet that the commercial groundfish bottom trawl fishery has caused a significant amount of damage to many of those habitats. What's the price they pay?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2024, 10:11:59 AM »

I know a bunch of small stream keepers that got denied and all they asked for was small stuff like tools to help like a generator to keep eggs alive, shovels to plant trees, gravel to restore areas, wood to create flood control and riparian areas.

meanwhile

the government tosses money at these groups to shut them up, they use 80% of the money to fund their administration costs, boat rides to picture perfect wildlife areas, helicopter rides, full time staff, rent ect ect ect...

Ducks Unlimited Canada got 5 million, They have a CEO that makes over 250k

$5,019,091

Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC), will work with partners to implement three large-scale projects to restore key Fraser River estuary tidal marsh habitat and access to these critical habitats for the benefit of COSEWIC-listed Fraser River chinook, coho, steelhead, and sockeye salmon populations, as well as other juvenile salmon populations, white sturgeon, and other wild BC fish stocks. These efforts aim to reverse the effects of human-caused impacts to the Fraser River estuary, which, combined with the anticipated future effects of sea-level rise, severely impair ecological resilience and wild BC salmon survival.

$4,952,373

BC Conservation Foundation (BCCF)   

Led by the British Columbia Conservation Foundation, the ‘Innovative Habitat Restoration Demonstration’ is a multi-year, watershed-scale demonstration project to showcase innovative habitat restoration methods that accommodate the effects of recent ecosystem shifts with benefits to chinook, coho, sockeye and steelhead. The project will promote restoration, protection and maintenance of healthy and diverse salmon populations and their habitats.   

Mooreee sudy!

$397,541

Island Marine Aquatic Working Group

Funding will support the establishment of a Vancouver Island Salmon Committee and supporting Technical Working Group. This collaborative initiative will bring together local expertise, traditional Indigenous knowledge, and local knowledge specific to Vancouver Island and mainland inlet chinook populations, to support efforts to rebuild Southern BC chinook, and to inform broader efforts to conserve and restore all salmon species of Vancouver Island and mainland inlets.   

400k to have meetings? woopty dooo

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2024, 01:25:45 PM »

My son did some contract work with Ducks Unlimited some years back. He thought very highly of the organization and what they do. He told me they are a true conservation and restoration organization. DU thinks what is good for watersheds is good for waterfowl & hunters. They get some funding from the US organization (no other legal ties to them) and some of their big wigs would come up once in a while. All they wanted to know was how many more ducks they were producing for US hunters to shoot.

I can't tell you which of these projects will provide a payoff or not. I don't see an issue with networking, contacts or getting fisheries scientists and technicians into remote communities, FN or otherwise. DFO has dumped a lot of gravel into streams and rivers over the years. How much pay back has their been on that and for how long? As for Stream keepers not getting tools etc... well these programs aren't their only source of support. Most already get an annual grant of some kind.

Note: the fund the report relates to was specifically not intended to cover expenses normally included in the annual grant varies community organizations receive. Last year the report I saw stated that those organization turned down we mostly able to get funding from other sources for such requests that were turned down. (Edit: added 01/15/24)

Darko - Ukraine has zip to do with this. Though Canada has given them more than 9 billion to date... they need much more.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 01:40:19 PM by RalphH »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2024, 07:32:15 PM »

In your words, welfare bums

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2024, 07:49:41 PM »

I understand the negative attitude some people have when looking at this. I personally want to look at it in a positive light and talk about it with my friends and family, praising the efforts being made in an attempt to make people realize the importance of it. I find people care more when they believe other people care. it can be used as a baseline when talking to folks out on the river who may not know about any of these projects and to then build off of "hey the project they did there might work here" there aren't enough government boots on the ground to see every inch of the river so to use our own network to hopefully work it's way back to them could be a good thing.  Maybe I'm being to optimistic but I like it better then the alternative.