Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are they ?  (Read 5520 times)

iblly

• Old Timer
What are they ?
« on: November 17, 2023, 09:55:06 AM »

Log towing right now on the west side of Bowen island and there are fish jumping everywhere. Silver, all look to be a couple of pounds. What could they be ? I have towed by here many many times and have never seen this.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: What are they ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2023, 11:12:09 AM »

don't know but I will say this:

A fish of the North Atlantic coast of North America, American Shad were introduced in rivers in Northern California well over 100 years ago. Since then they have colonized rivers in Oregon and are increasingly abundant in the Columbia River to Bonneville Dam. There have been reports of shad in the Fraser going back to the 60s or earlier. Shad spawning runs generally occur in early spring - April and May on the Atlantic coast from Chesapeake to the Maritimes.

Shad are anadromous, abundant, schooling fish, very silver, generally weigh 3 to 5 lbs (they are a bit smaller in the Pacific) and look very similar to herring or even tarpon. 
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2023, 01:33:39 PM »

Interesting. These fish all seemed to be heading north into Howe sound. Seals were definitely working on these fish.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023, 01:48:13 PM »

https://www.fishingwithrod.com/fish_profile/american_shad.html#:~:text=During%20the%20summer%20months%2C%20spawning,inches%20or%20less%20in%20length.

"While they can be quite big in their native watersheds, American shad found on the West coast are usually quite small, around 12 inches or less in length.".
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

salmonrook

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 09:59:14 PM »

Maybe Northern Anchovies ?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 10:29:56 PM »

I don't think Anchovies are that big. I have never seen anything to suggest shad were introduced into the Columbia system. Rod's info there is from several years ago or more. Things are changing rapidly on both coasts.  Shad in the Sacramento yes and have spread into rivers in Oregon. The numbers in the Columbia are  now in the millions. In Sacramento and Columbia the fish exceed 5lbs when they return to spawn. Not saying that any shad in BC are spawning here but there is little easy information on what their ocean ranges are.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2023, 10:45:24 PM »

I love a good mystery, ibilly!

I wonder if juvenile coho?

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2023, 04:19:53 AM »

I thought at first they may have been coho but too many of them. Maybe though ??

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2023, 07:38:35 AM »

I thought at first they may have been coho but too many of them. Maybe though ??

could be or even feeder chinook coming the the surface for some reason.

Shad in the Columbia:

https://www.chinookobserver.com/news/local/record-breaking-7-5-million-non-native-american-shad-in-columbia-dwarfs-salmon-returns/article_3dfc74f8-c5f2-11e9-934b-534e02bf9b4d.html

this does indicate shad fry were released in the Colombia system in 19th century in rather small numbers and a hatchery operated on the Willamette River near Portland for several years. Still the recent explosion in shad returns isn't explained by those introductions of 100 to  150 years ago.

Shad in the Sacramento River California:

https://calwatercenter.org/american-shad-the-deltas-most-abundant-and-least-considered-anadromous-fish/

Shad fishing in California:

https://www.bestfishinginamerica.com/california-american-shad-fishing-best-rivers.html

https://fishsniffer.com/index.php/2017/06/02/unveiling-the-mysteries-of-american-river-shad/

« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 08:19:21 AM by RalphH »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2023, 07:59:19 AM »

In all my sampling trips on Fraser River gillnetters I have seen 2 American shad captured, both in the Albion area, about 4 lbs each and silver bright.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2023, 08:49:00 AM »

In all my sampling trips on Fraser River gillnetters I have seen 2 American shad captured, both in the Albion area, about 4 lbs each and silver bright.

the discussion was about fish seen jumping in the Strait near Bowen Island. Salmon from the US are common in our local waters so expecting other species isn't unreasonable.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2023, 02:06:38 PM »

Too bad you don't have it on video.
It ain't the roe bro'

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2023, 03:12:31 PM »

Ya the ol iPhone 8 can’t capture stuff that far away 😂

hammer

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2023, 11:47:03 AM »

Very interesting. Please post if any more info is forthcoming

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2023, 03:01:20 PM »

Not a place we tow by all the time. Was close to Cape Roger Curtis. We tow through there maybe once a month. Have never seen activity like that before.