Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are they ?  (Read 5519 times)

Clarki Hunter

Re: What are they ?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2023, 08:10:28 PM »

Long shot but lots of jacks around on the north side.  Maybe?

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2023, 07:04:24 AM »

That’s what I thought when I saw the first few but then there was just too many of them to be jacks. And the middle of November is too late for that isn’t it ?

Bon Chovy Fishing Charters

• Advertiser
    • Bon Chovy Fishing Charters
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2023, 09:35:04 AM »

Pretty sure they are coho.   I also noticed them jumping this apast week.   Fished Porlier Pass last week and caught a few while fishing for winter chinook.  Excellent sign for next years return.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2023, 10:13:35 AM »

Most likely they are coho grilse (as we used to call them) or something similar. If they were a couple of lbs as ibilly thought that would be a bit large for this time of year. Jacks in the river are mostly 3/4lb to 1 1/4 or so.  Do these fish stay inside the  Salish Sea now or do most still go outside to the west side of the Island?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2023, 12:01:28 PM »

bluebacks

There's been reports of them returning this year to the SOG and sticking around.

some of our local coho apparently have an outside vs inside distribution, When the IFC numbers were high during the 80's it was primarily an inside distribution. It then trended to an outside distribution and numbers plummeted on the inside. There have been some reports of the inside numbers starting to increase and coho off WCVI trending down.

In Charlie White books he talks about the blueback fishery in the SOG, Was primarily a spring fishery, coho are the fastest growing salmon, growing from a few pounds in the spring to returning that fall 5+ plus. The blueback fishery was very popular until they pretty much vanished from the SOG. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 12:13:04 PM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2023, 03:08:59 PM »

In White's day a Blueback was a coho caught in the spring (May or earlier) that weighed under 5lbs. Today a lot of the hatchery coho don't weigh that in the fall.  Grilse were fish 16 or 17 inches and under caught in the late summer through into winter.

and back in the 70s and 80s the inside fish were US coho and from the Capilano hatchery.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

hammer

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2023, 05:31:36 PM »

That's great information. I remember the blueback fishery off of Campbell River in the 80's. I believe this is a positive predictor, especially given inside adult coho numbers were great in salt.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2023, 05:12:26 AM »

Mystery solved ? Thanks for the info fellas.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2023, 02:10:15 PM »

bluebacks

In Charlie White books he talks about the blueback fishery in the SOG, Was primarily a spring fishery, coho are the fastest growing salmon, growing from a few pounds in the spring to returning that fall 5+ plus. The blueback fishery was very popular until they pretty much vanished from the SOG.
Actually the fastest growing salmon are pink salmon. From hatch to death in 2 years with weights commonly between 3 and 10 lbs and sometime larger. Coho at 2 years of age are generally under 1 1/2 pounds. Remember that coho spend the first 14 months of there life in freshwater while pinks are in the marine environment for almost all of there life.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2023, 03:37:37 PM »

Chum must be lazy than

Roderick

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2023, 04:44:52 PM »

Yep chum are the laziest of all the salmon.  I have heard they will only jump a maximum of 8 inches to get upstream. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.