Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: 2023 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 42737 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Fishing pressure is high but that doesn't always mean everything is up to no good. Majority of the anglers will play by the rules. It's what's being done away from the crowds that is more concerning. I got reports of spawning pink salmon being poached in large numbers (snagging, even having a smoker set up by their RVs) at Centennial Channel in the upper watershed where no anglers would go up to. That information was passed onto my contacts at C&P last night and they checked the area today. No smokers could be found but there was evidence of snagging of pink salmon for sure.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat

That's a shame rod. If I see anything of the like I'll be sure to send you some pictures and I'll report it aswell.

DanL

• Old Timer

Text the pictures of those to me if you took some.
Unfortunately no pics; didnt occur to me until after the fact. Can PM the exact locations though

Darko

• Old Timer
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

https://youtu.be/k1ZqmDy2VOs?feature=shared

Yep... I had the realtime update while this was happening today lol... I encountered this individual on Monday evening when he attempted to keep a pink salmon he snagged until I told him to put it back. I guess I am more intimidating than Jeff because he did so right away. ;)

Darko

• Old Timer

Yep... I had the realtime update while this was happening today lol... I encountered this individual on Monday evening when he attempted to keep a pink salmon he snagged until I told him to put it back. I guess I am more intimidating than Jeff because he did so right away. ;)
it's because nobody listens to us young folk we are "young and stupid" most people think  ;D
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Wade

Speaking of abuse, saw a large quite chrome chrome spring in a plastic fish bag lying by the side of the road in the upper area where cars park this morning. Figured someone packed up and accidentally forgot it.

Then later in the day saw the same thing in the canal. A gutted spring in a plastic bag left to rot. In retrospect it seems obvious what's happening. People are keeping springs for the roe then dumping them at the side of the road.

Dumping the fish for the slims and stinks? There’s a good way to get rid of the slims and stinks: after getting home and washed the fish clean, cut off all the fins (worth investing 20 bucks in a pair of good kitchen scissors making the job easier) pat dry with kitchen paper, lightly sprinkle some salt inside the carcass and on the skin (a teaspoon each side for a 15lb fish), stuff the carcass with kitchen paper, wrap the whole fish with two layers of kitchen papers and then wrap with cling film, let it sit in fridge over night and use it the next day. I tried this on all my catches this year including coho, works pretty well. All salmon produces slims and stinking smells after they return to freshwater, saw some Taiwanese chef preparing the most expensive salmons (summer chums caught from Japanese sea selling more expensive than bluefin tuna) , it’s crucial to keep the fish from freshwater throughout the entire process. So I borrowed this idea and tried salt on the vedder catches, the results surprised me, not only there’s no more stinks on chinooks, I even cooked a big piece with skin on, no fishy taste at all, it’s the meatiest and juiciest fish I’ve ever had.

fic

• Old Timer

Jacobleboe

Tons of coho that are very unwilling to bite. Was out at first light today and the bite was good for about 5 minutes until the bombardment of soft beads from all the fishermen turned them off. Caught one hatchery twitching in a spot with less people eventually. As well as a nice wild one on some roe. There are fish in almost every run but the water being so clear and the amount of fishing pressure is really spooking them. Your never going to find spots without people but you can find spots without people flossing and snagging which will greatly improve the chances of getting some bites.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

I hope they catch this guy. Shouldn't be too hard given it's all over social media

clarki

• Old Timer

Caught one hatchery twitching in a spot with less people eventually.
That’s my favourite strategy in peak season: finding the coho hidey holes that are overlooked by drift anglers: log jams, backwaters/frog water, little areas of refuge out of the main current… And often that involves putting some kms on your boots to seek those areas out. But once you find them, you generally have them to yourself without the bombardment of soft beads, and you can tease the fish out with jigs.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

that's another nice thing about fishing on the dark side of the moon, no one will throw a rock at you. There are no rocks! Poachers would have to pack them. There are poachers though. They are everywhere.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

stsfisher

Fishing pressure is high but that doesn't always mean everything is up to no good. Majority of the anglers will play by the rules. It's what's being done away from the crowds that is more concerning. I got reports of spawning pink salmon being poached in large numbers (snagging, even having a smoker set up by their RVs) at Centennial Channel in the upper watershed where no anglers would go up to. That information was passed onto my contacts at C&P last night and they checked the area today. No smokers could be found but there was evidence of snagging of pink salmon for sure.
Unbelievable. I wonder about spots like this all the time when walking my dog in similar spots, just haven't run into it yet.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

This video was posted on another website and one person commented correctly  that as anglers it isn't our responsibility to enforce the law. Take it easy and protect yourselves. Video recording a poacher and saying you will report them can invoke a threat response from them as happened in this case. I have come across a few cases and I just try to have a chat with the other person. Most will listen. Others offered all sorts of rationalizations for what they did. If you want just send a photo and info to rapp. Record a car license if possible. Otherwise stay cool.Don't even mention reporting them.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14