Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boxing Day Derby  (Read 16130 times)

chardeemacdenis

Re: Boxing Day Derby
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2022, 04:31:12 PM »

If you look at the rescue op during the floods its based on a self written excerpt 'In their own words'.

I doubt he actually did anything, just fabricated a story and away he went.

Taking an 18' boat with a propped o/b into a flooded Sumas

*File that under things that didn't happen*
Fishing isn't catching

bobby b

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2022, 05:07:45 PM »

I’d hardly call it a mistake. Maybe a regret, but if the events are true the intent was there and known.

Pretty ballsy move to assume a 6lb fish would place, but considering conditions maybe he thought he’d maybe get a top 3 prize?!?  He won 3rd place last year in the Wally Hall Derby 🤷🏻‍♂️…..

Curious how he was caught though. Was the fish still frozen in the middle or something 🤣 kidding not kidding!  How was it determined that it was caught by another angler on a different system?

Kinda taints the whole thing … even going forward to the event and other derby’s,  it will surely add to if not  foster a certain air of mistrust.

Still contend that the majority of people will do better always. Good luck to those still participating 🤘🏼🐟
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 05:10:31 PM by bobby b »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2022, 06:09:25 PM »

At least the system Fred's Tackle has set up, whatever it is, caught this. It worked. As far as what this fellow did it was very bad judgement. It certainly does raise questions about his integrity. Was it evil? Is he an evil person ? That's hard to say. What he did do is submit a fish for the Derby which was disqualified as it didn't meet the conditions of a qualifying entry. In my mind that is hardly a criminal act. He'll slink off somewhere. His Facebook page looks to be closed for the time being and after a few days or weeks most people will forget all about him.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2022, 07:56:44 PM »

Hmm… As I’ve never entered a fish into a derby, I’m curious what “process” a fish goes through to be entered into this steelhead derby. Does the angler have to make a verbal, or written and signed, declaration to attest that the fish was caught, retained and entered in accordance with provincial fishing regulations and/or derby rules. Or does one just show up, dragging a steelhead behind you, throw it up on the scale, and present a derby registration? Does the registration form have such a declaration, signed  or a unsigned, or do you just pay an entrance fee and you’re in?

So much curiosity…

bobby b

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2022, 08:07:14 PM »

All the rules are stated in the registration. One just shows up with the fish. I have entered and caught fish in the Wally Hall Derby, I simply took the fish to Fred’s for a weigh in and photo. The reg and license are checked then. Other than that it’s pretty much an honour system. Don’t know how they would know if it was from another river… ?!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2022, 09:38:42 PM »

Hmm… As I’ve never entered a fish into a derby, I’m curious what “process” a fish goes through to be entered into this steelhead derby.

I said a few things about that earlier in the thread. Maybe you should read it.  or you can read this;

https://www.fredscustomtackle.com/_files/ugd/11322e_3a5396aaac5f45f4a4d2317638923b7e.pdf

I think little of Derbies like these and view them as anachronisms. They are as much about marketing as about raising money for 'conservation'. There are many ways to do that without the down side of "derbies". My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 09:49:48 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2022, 09:58:44 PM »

I said a few things about that earlier in the thread. Maybe you should read it. If the the boxing day derby and the Wally Hall Derby don't do much to ensure the entries are valid well what can I say? I think little of Derbies like these and view them as anachronisms. They are as much about marketing as about raising money for 'conservation'. There are many ways to do that without the down side of "derbies". My 2 cents.

Yes sir, I did read the few things you wrote earlier in the thread. I thought you had a good point and so that’s why I inquired about the accountabilities/checks and balances of this particular derby.
Bobby b had some helpful info about that.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2022, 10:51:57 PM »

did he win last years derby??

Fred's Custom Tackle
January 24
  ·
Congratulations 🥳 to Brian Mirea, winner of the 2021 "Boxing Day" Derby 🏆 Second place went to Justin Michael, Third place to Kevin Johnson, Fourth place to Devin Noel (Fred was feeling generous and gave Devin a prize too), and Jacob Bergen who came in fifth and took the prize for the first fish of the derby (also a last minute gesture from Fred).
Thank you to everyone who participated 🙏🏻. All prizes were provided by @fredscustomtackle.guiding, meaning EVERY PENNY from your registration will be going directly to the Fraser Valley Watershed Coalition to fund spawning and rearing habitat creation and maintenance on the Chilliwack/Vedder River. ❤️

sockeyed

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2022, 11:24:10 PM »

Totally agree, this was planned out since December 17 when the fish was caught and killed on the Alloutte. To say he made a “mistake” is so what’s wrong in the world today.

Caught on the alloutte? do you know more of the story?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2022, 01:59:21 AM »

After the derby ended, that evening Fred was ready to declare Brian as the winner and putting together a write-up for it. Meanwhile, I was tipped off with evidence on what had taken place, so told Fred to stop his write-up. If that hadn't happened, we would be having a different conversation right now.

This kid needs help to be honest, and this would only be good for both him and those around him in the long run. Years ago he came to me as a teen asking for advices to handle being bullied online. I took the time to tell him what he could do and point him toward the right direction, but he has done the opposite since. IMO this was all done a a prank, just like all the other stunts he has pulled, to fill a void in his life. It's not a mistake, and it would only keep going if he wasn't caught, and the stakes and consequences would only get higher.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2022, 08:17:48 AM »

For a relatively small business like Fred's doing all the desired forensics would be really difficult and time consuming not to mention expensive. The risk may just have to be accepted. They could also consider announcing or confirming the winners for a day or two though to protect themselves from incidents like this.

bj23

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2022, 08:33:01 AM »

Huh? So...everyone you know that has ever been caught cheating/stealing or similar you have cut all ties with? You've never cheated on anything or made a similar mistake? I didn't say the guy was my best buddy or someone I hold in high regard as an ethical person. All I said was I bump into him on the river from time to time, and we chat fishing for a minute or two, then go our separate ways.

Also cheating in a fishing derby is certainly unethical, and if one were to keep prizes/money it could meet the criminal code definition of fraud, and result in charges. However, I personally wouldn't use the term "evil." I work in the prison system and have seen/read true evil. Like people who rape and pimp out their own children.

I'm sure this young man will have to live with the consequences of this for a long time. At least in the fishing community. Outside the fishing community, I doubt anyone really cares. Was discussing this at work last night with my fishing buddy. We were losing our minds in disbelief of what has transpired. The half dozen or so other people in the room who don't fish didn't see what the big deal was. The comments were more or less "well then take away his prize and ban him from future derbies."

SS - take the guy under your wing and show him the ins & outs of life, as you & your buddies see things.

sthdslayer

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2022, 08:45:55 AM »

After the derby ended, that evening Fred was ready to declare Brian as the winner and putting together a write-up for it. Meanwhile, I was tipped off with evidence on what had taken place, so told Fred to stop his write-up. If that hadn't happened, we would be having a different conversation right now.

This kid needs help to be honest, and this would only be good for both him and those around him in the long run. Years ago he came to me as a teen asking for advices to handle being bullied online. I took the time to tell him what he could do and point him toward the right direction, but he has done the opposite since. IMO this was all done a a prank, just like all the other stunts he has pulled, to fill a void in his life. It's not a mistake, and it would only keep going if he wasn't caught, and the stakes and consequences would only get higher.

As Rodney states this is not the first stunt ,there was questions raised last year regarding his entry.  I question the descriptor of Prank as he and others conspired to break the rules for notoriety and reward. However Rodney is right if he isn't held accountable he will continue.

Hopefully this episode will provide the crisis to motivate change in behavior

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2022, 09:01:13 AM »

I think stuff like this happens because of the softness of society nowadays. Before people would act proper and think before they do something or else they'd get hurt... Not saying that's right but nowadays people get away with way too much, way too many times. First time may be a mistake, but repeat offenders deserve serious consequences. Lines need to be drawn of what's acceptable and what is not, most things are just uncommon sense.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

redside1

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2022, 10:11:44 AM »

At least the system Fred's Tackle has set up, whatever it is, caught this. It worked. As far as what this fellow did it was very bad judgement. It certainly does raise questions about his integrity. Was it evil? Is he an evil person ? That's hard to say. What he did do is submit a fish for the Derby which was disqualified as it didn't meet the conditions of a qualifying entry. In my mind that is hardly a criminal act. He'll slink off somewhere. His Facebook page looks to be closed for the time being and after a few days or weeks most people will forget all about him.
When there are prizes and maybe money involved it’s fraud. Plain and simple.
If the derby was for bragging rights only then not a big deal.