Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boxing Day Derby  (Read 16135 times)

chardeemacdenis

Re: Boxing Day Derby
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2022, 01:08:32 PM »

Just received word the kid who cheated (Brian Mirea) has received an indefinite ban on participating in future derbies.

Now do the camera man and the guy who originally caught the fish in question.

No place for these kind of cheaters in our much revered derby.
Fishing isn't catching

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2022, 04:18:31 PM »

IMO they are all equally culpable and should each receive the same punishment. What the heck is wrong with some people? Maybe they can team up with those clowns in the US who got caught stuffing their walleye with lead.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2022, 06:06:32 PM »

Wow, just unbelievable.  To make a mockery of a long standing tradition is shameful. These individuals should be charged with fraud.

sthdslayer

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2022, 07:02:56 PM »

Seems to me there is a violation if he filled his license with the Vedder when it was caught elsewhere on  a different day

Preliator

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2022, 09:26:14 PM »

A couple seasons ago during Steelhead season I arrived at a parking lot of a popular hole on the lower river. When I got out of my friend’s SUV, I noticed an empty plastic wrapped, styrofoam container tossed to the side. I flipped it over and found a Save-On or Safeway sticker that was label “Steelhead Trout”.

Absolutely bananas what people will do for some clout.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2022, 11:55:35 PM »

I feel like this individual requires a nickname. Some will know of/remember the story of a certain derby contestant who was caught putting lead weights in the belly of a steelhead. I won't name him as I bump into him (and his dog) somewhat often during steelhead season. We like to fish a lot of the same bushwack water. I find him quite pleasant, and we have shared a few tips/tricks here and there. Obviously, he made a mistake, and seems he owns it by doing his own thing and staying out of the derbies. Anyway, he didn't get off scot-free, and earned himself the nickname "lead belly."
For mr.switcahroo here, who has committed probably T-H-E most unsportsmanlike act of any fisherman who has ever fished, I would like to propose "switch."
Or, "tripple-play." Someone else caught the fish, on a different day, on a different river.
Lastly, "the fox." Looks cute and innocent, but is actually a sneaky little prick.

Sorry I've been into the pot :o

« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 01:18:26 AM by Spawn Sack »

mikeyman

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2022, 09:51:00 AM »

I feel like this individual requires a nickname. Some will know of/remember the story of a certain derby contestant who was caught putting lead weights in the belly of a steelhead. I won't name him as I bump into him (and his dog) somewhat often during steelhead season. We like to fish a lot of the same bushwack water. I find him quite pleasant, and we have shared a few tips/tricks here and there. Obviously, he made a mistake, and seems he owns it by doing his own thing and staying out of the derbies. Anyway, he didn't get off scot-free, and earned himself the nickname "lead belly."
For mr.switcahroo here, who has committed probably T-H-E most unsportsmanlike act of any fisherman who has ever fished, I would like to propose "switch."
Or, "tripple-play." Someone else caught the fish, on a different day, on a different river.
Lastly, "the fox." Looks cute and innocent, but is actually a sneaky little prick.

Sorry I've been into the pot :o

Switch is pretty good. Simple.
Fox not so much was very obvious why he got caught.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 09:59:31 AM by mikeyman »

SuperBobby

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2022, 10:32:36 AM »

the story of a certain derby contestant who was caught putting lead weights in the belly of a steelhead..........Obviously, he made a mistake,

And this post is what shows that you are part of the problem. This is the problem with society today. Call it for what it is. Don't go saying "he made a mistake."
What he did was CHEAT. What he did was commit FRAUD. If he hadn't got caught and went home with the prize and claim to fame, then we could also add STEALING and THEFT to that list. The whole lot of it is evil. Why do you soften the words of what it really is?

It's like the person who is unfaithful to their spouse and says "I had an affair". Isn't that a nice politically correct way to explain what they did. What they really did is commit 'adultery', but when was the last time you heard someone say "I committed adultery"? Probably never. Society has softened the terms/words of the evil they do to make it more palatable for the masses. 

When people start calling out evil with the correct words/terms, then.....maybe the people doing that evil will stop being so calloused to it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 10:43:51 AM by SuperBobby »

redside1

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2022, 11:26:40 AM »

And this post is what shows that you are part of the problem. This is the problem with society today. Call it for what it is. Don't go saying "he made a mistake."
What he did was CHEAT. What he did was commit FRAUD. If he hadn't got caught and went home with the prize and claim to fame, then we could also add STEALING and THEFT to that list. The whole lot of it is evil. Why do you soften the words of what it really is?

It's like the person who is unfaithful to their spouse and says "I had an affair". Isn't that a nice politically correct way to explain what they did. What they really did is commit 'adultery', but when was the last time you heard someone say "I committed adultery"? Probably never. Society has softened the terms/words of the evil they do to make it more palatable for the masses. 

When people start calling out evil with the correct words/terms, then.....maybe the people doing that evil will stop being so calloused to it.

Totally agree, this was planned out since December 17 when the fish was caught and killed on the Alloutte. To say he made a “mistake” is so what’s wrong in the world today.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 11:28:18 AM by redside1 »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2022, 02:47:14 PM »

Huh? So...everyone you know that has ever been caught cheating/stealing or similar you have cut all ties with? You've never cheated on anything or made a similar mistake? I didn't say the guy was my best buddy or someone I hold in high regard as an ethical person. All I said was I bump into him on the river from time to time, and we chat fishing for a minute or two, then go our separate ways.

Also cheating in a fishing derby is certainly unethical, and if one were to keep prizes/money it could meet the criminal code definition of fraud, and result in charges. However, I personally wouldn't use the term "evil." I work in the prison system and have seen/read true evil. Like people who rape and pimp out their own children.

I'm sure this young man will have to live with the consequences of this for a long time. At least in the fishing community. Outside the fishing community, I doubt anyone really cares. Was discussing this at work last night with my fishing buddy. We were losing our minds in disbelief of what has transpired. The half dozen or so other people in the room who don't fish didn't see what the big deal was. The comments were more or less "well then take away his prize and ban him from future derbies."

sthdslayer

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2022, 03:04:08 PM »

Its a safe bet that if he went to the effort and premeditation to enlist an accomplice  to cheat in a fishing derby then his life ethics are corrupt as well.
I would not want to have business dealings with him or his colleagues

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2022, 03:26:28 PM »

I'm sure this young man will have to live with the consequences of this for a long time. At least in the fishing community. Outside the fishing community, I doubt anyone really cares.
FWR is the extent of my social media involvement so all I know about the situation is what I have read here.
A quick Google search of “Brian Mirea” indicates that he is a business student at SFU. Who knows, maybe future employers will care about his (alleged) unethical (maybe even illegal) behaviour.

Google also shows that he used his boat to lend a hand during last year’s flood event. Maybe he’s not so evil after all…

Google also shows a picture of him waving a flag from the back of a pickup during an anti-vax freedom rally in Vancouver. So, maybe he is…

I don’t know enough about the situation to be judge, jury and executioner. It’s just a very unfortunate situation all around.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 06:27:13 PM by clarki »

SuperBobby

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2022, 03:56:09 PM »

Google also shows that he used his boat to lend a hand during last year’s flood event. Maybe he’s not so evil after all…

Google also shows a picture of him waving a flag from the back of a pickup during an anti-vax freedom rally in Vancouver. So, maybe he is…

Let me get this straight
Help out at flood with boat = Not evil
Wave flag at anti-vax freedom rally = Evil

I really hope you are being sarcastic because if you aren't then you need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2022, 04:15:34 PM »

Let me get this straight
Help out at flood with boat = Not evil
Wave flag at anti-vax freedom rally = Evil

I really hope you are being sarcastic because if you aren't then you need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

It was tongue-in-cheek, and I used lots of maybe’s.

And yes, Kook Aid is delicious

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2022, 04:25:22 PM »

Is this the same guy that got third place in the Wally hall derby last year ?