Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tofino Tips  (Read 2027 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Tofino Tips
« on: August 12, 2022, 08:23:30 AM »

I'm planning maybe a trip to Tofino Sept.6th. I plan on doing some inside fishing and not going to far off Tofino . I have a 15ft. deep V aluminum so I don't want to go out to far . Wilf rock perhaps . Maybe search for Coho feeding nearby . Does anyone have any tips where a boat protective area I could check out ? .
I have had experience being out in the chuck before in a 14 skiff when I lived in Shearwater , Bella Bella but just looking for any tips in Tofino .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Tofino Tips
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 03:09:01 PM »

I’ve only beach fished the area, and just for cutthroat trout, but I would suggest the waters in and around the Grice Bay boat launch. There are coho streams emptying into Grice Bay and others further up the sound.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 08:57:58 PM »

Another question . If anyone can help me with.
When booking a chartered trip , 4hr or more . Does the clock start as soon as you leave the dock , or as soon as you drop the cannon ball ? .

stsfisher

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 07:38:57 AM »

Usually from the dock. Some will extend it based on having or not having another 4 hour trip booked in front or behind yours.

VictorBai

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 11:03:26 AM »

Another question . If anyone can help me with.
When booking a chartered trip , 4hr or more . Does the clock start as soon as you leave the dock , or as soon as you drop the cannon ball ? .

My expectation is that the clock starts at the scheduled meeting time. But in my experience, this is quite flexible and depends on the caption's judgment.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 11:28:25 AM »

OK , Thanks fellas  :) . Just thinking , if its a half hour or so run to the fishing grounds that would cut into the 4hr trip . Better off booking say , 6hr charter so's you could increase your chances maybe . 3hrs would go fast, me thinks .

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 01:25:06 PM »

OK , Thanks fellas  :) . Just thinking , if its a half hour or so run to the fishing grounds that would cut into the 4hr trip . Better off booking say , 6hr charter so's you could increase your chances maybe . 3hrs would go fast, me thinks .

4 hour charters are good for people with a passing interest in fishing (or someone who drags their significant other along who isn't into fishing at all). I'd book for as long as you can afford, ideally 6 or 8 hours!

I've done both short and long charters over the years and watching the clock on a 4 hour charter (~3 hours of fishing) really detracted from my enjoyment. Didn't help that we struck out completely on that charter (going for halibut out of Victoria).

I did a charter out of Tofino many years ago and the chinook bite was on that day, way the heck out somewhere in open water. Took 45 minutes to get there, then took me about five minutes before I was puking so hard I couldn't breathe. Huge rolling waves, gray fog, no land in sight. We hooked a 22lb fish almost immediately (I had to pass the rod because I couldn't stand up), landed it, then left for calmer water to troll for coho. The guide was so sad to leave the spot ;D

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 07:57:04 PM »

There is fly fishing for coho over shallow flats in the Tofino area but I have never fished there so can’t add much more.

Good luck

Roderick

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2022, 09:07:33 PM »

I have had some success at Tonquin park for coho from shore and I have seen small boats trolling just offshore.  Tonquin is pretty protected but sometimes the coho stack up out from the beaches further south, usually when there has been no rain for awhile  One time when the surf was totally flat (2 feet maybe), I was casting my spinner from a row boat onto the dry sand and pulling it out through the waves. The coho were hitting just outside the break. Fogust is a good month for this.  Wilf rock is good for intercepting migrating fish, but can get rough on the outside.  And there's always the rockfish/ling/halibut fun to be had.  One day I want to get a charter and go way out there for albacore tuna in late August/early September.  Good luck. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 09:26:04 PM by Roderick »
You shoulda been here yesterday.