Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pinniped Developments  (Read 4651 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Pinniped Developments
« on: February 10, 2022, 11:00:16 AM »

MP Small tables legislation to improve sustainability of fish stocks
February 9, 2022

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Ottawa, ON — Today, Clifford Small, Conservative  Member of Parliament for Coast of Bays—Central—Notre Dame, introduced Bill C-251, the Federal Framework on the Conservation of Fish Stocks and management of Pinnipeds Act, to promote the sustainability of Canada’s fish stocks.

Bill C-251 will ensure that conservation and protection of marine ecosystems are built into a new federal framework  while opening the door for businesses and Indigenous communities to sell and trade pinniped products.

The Conservative Party of Canada supports a framework to provide business owners, harvesters, and Indigenous groups  with guidance and predictability regarding the impact of pinniped populations on fish stocks.

“Healthy  marine stocks ensure a vibrant fisheries economy, and the long-term  sustainability of ecosystems and food  chains in the ocean,” said M.P. Small. “For too long, Canadians whose  livelihoods depend on healthy fish stocks, have witnessed the failure of  conservation measures to ensure the sustainability of those stocks.”

“This legislation will provide an evidence-based framework to improve marine conservation and ensure the health of  marine ecosystems that so many livelihoods on all coasts depend on,” concluded Small.

The Bill:

https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/44-1/bill/C-251/first-reading

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
Re: Pinniped Developments
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 11:11:02 AM »

Our team has been rallying the MP's pretty hard on this Bill.
To date, we have the full support of the Conservatives and the Bloq.

And surprisingly enough, there is quite the handful of Liberals supporting it as well.
The latter started off in the Maritimes, but has now grown.

If YOU want to help make a difference and your MP happens to be NDP or Liberal, send them an email or letter suggesting they support Bill C - 251 when it comes up for second reading (April 27).

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 11:51:00 AM »

For all the naysayers & those who thought this could never happen in BC, I strongly suggest you pay attention to the second reading of Bill C 251 next Wednesday.   ;D

And if you are in support yourself, a quick Email or letter to your own MP encouraging them to follow suit would certainly be appreciated.

Cheers,
Nog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 05:58:59 PM »

did someone tell you a private member bill on pinniped control would not go into 2nd reading?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 10:11:08 AM »

Got a bit of a surprise coming just for your Ralpie Ol' Chap ;-)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 05:12:45 PM »

don't hold your breath!  ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 05:30:06 PM »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 03:55:01 PM »

Interesting to see the liberal parliamentary secretary to the government leader come out in support as well as the balance of all parties speaking in favor.

Stay Tuned...
Nog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 09:37:13 PM »

From the House of Commons Journals here is the summary of proceedings related to C-251 (44-1)

Private Members' Business

At 5:30 p.m., pursuant to Standing Order 30(6), the House proceeded to the consideration of Private Members' Business.

The order was read for the second reading and reference to the Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans of Bill C-251, An Act respecting the development of a federal framework on the conservation of fish stocks and management of pinnipeds.

Mr. Small (Coast of Bays—Central—Notre Dame), seconded by Mr. Perkins (South Shore—St. Margarets), moved, — That the bill be now read a second time and referred to the Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans.

Debate arose thereon.

Pursuant to Standing Order 93(1), the order was dropped to the bottom of the order of precedence on the Order Paper.

there  was no 2nd reading and no vote. It may yet happen. The Hansard records on member statements is not yet available.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/44-1/house/sitting-60/journals

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 09:55:04 AM »

Interesting to see the liberal parliamentary secretary to the government leader come out in support as well as the balance of all parties speaking in favor.

Stay Tuned...
Nog

I think you may have meant Bryan May the Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Defense.

Hansard for April 28th is now on line at: https://www.ourcommons.ca/documentviewer/en/house/latest/hansard

the discussion begins at 1730 and ends at 1830 when the house moved to adjourn. The debate was quite varied and highlighted how complicated the issue is. It was also quite dignified a major difference from the frequent shenanigans during Question Period.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 10:54:49 AM »

I think you may have meant Bryan May the Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Defense.

Not at all, although I did welcome his statements as well.

I was referring to the somewhat lengthy address given by Kevin Lamoureux who is, as noted, the Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader of the Government in the House of Commons. He was in obvious favor, as were the majority of liberals who did stand to speak (note the same among the Conservatives, the Bloq and the NDP).

Stay Tuned...
Nog

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 11:34:46 AM »

This will probably be the main ENGO talking point 

Ms. Lisa Marie Barron (Nanaimo—Ladysmith, NDP): 

"Single-species management policies ignore the interconnection within our ecosystem and often see our oceans' value exclusively as what can be extracted from them. We see pinnipeds as a problem because they get in the way of our ability to take more fish out of the ocean. Managing pinnipeds to reduce fish mortality does not take into account the species that rely on pinnipeds, like transient killer whales. Along the west coast, we have only recently started to see the recovery of this incredible population, and the science has clearly stated that it is in large part due to the recovery of pinniped populations. I think most Canadians would agree that targeting specific species without considering the entire ecosystem could end in irreversible consequences."

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 11:54:55 AM »

This will probably be the main ENGO talking point 

It will. I was surprised to see her state that. Both her, and the vast majority of NDP MP's have assured us they will back the Bill. Some of what she stated appeared contrary to that, so we're reaching out to her to clarify once again.

She (and the NGO's) are in error when it comes to Transient (Biggs) Whales. Their numbers are robust, are growing and have been for a considerably long period of time. Certainly not "only recently started to see the recovery of this incredible population" and certainly not "that it is in large part due to the recovery of pinniped populations". In fact, the related science suggests nothing of the kind. A fact she is being reminded of (by Science btw) right now...

Cheers,
Nog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2022, 01:47:19 PM »

Not at all, although I did welcome his statements as well.

I was referring to the somewhat lengthy address given by Kevin Lamoureux who is, as noted, the Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader of the Government in the House of Commons. He was in obvious favor, as were the majority of liberals who did stand to speak (note the same among the Conservatives, the Bloq and the NDP).

Stay Tuned...
Nog

he is not currently in the post as you stated but previously served in that position and previously was also Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs. he is currently a back bencher.

You also seemed to have missed that the fatal flaw in this bill is that it appears to be a money bill as noted by Mike Kelloway MP who is the P.S to the Ministry of FOC & Coast Guard.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2022, 02:03:16 PM »

he is not currently in the post as you stated but previously served in that position and previously was also Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs. he is currently a back bencher.

I see you about as well informed on this matter as you were when you suggested "there  was no 2nd reading". 

For you see there WAS a second reading. Which I watched in it's entirety. Voting will commence once it has gone through Committee for fine tuning. During that second reading, Kevin Lamoureux was publicly announced as: Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader of the Government in the House of Commons. As he was in debate repeatedly again today.

You also WELL missed the mark in your latter assertion.

Used to fun debating with you. Now I simply wonder if you're getting senile...

Stay Tuned...
Nog