Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Journal for October 20, 2020  (Read 4064 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
A Journal for October 20, 2020
« on: October 20, 2020, 03:11:13 PM »

Welcome To The Journal on Fishing with Rod,your top fishing web site in the North West or in the world for that matter for fishing information, fishing tips, educational videos and much more. Many of you may not have heard those words from me but I used to write them for many years when FWR first started. Well here is one I wrote today, it may have been a year or more since I last wrote one here. Pictures and videos on my FB page for anyone interested.

Today another day in the life of an retiree, 22 years now. I need to get back to my Road Trip but some interesting things to report from today before I resume that.
First thing I went for an early coffee and found a wallet in the parking lot, turned out he lived close to us. Too early to phone so sent a FB friend a message thinking by the name he could be related, later I found out I was right as she was his sister.
Back home to get gear ready and off to the river, there a few minutes before fishing time. Always nice seeing a new day begin as the birds greets the day too as it comes to life, mostly gulls and crows looking for their first meal of the day. The sound of the river rushing by is refreshing too and a slight breeze against one's face wakes any slumber one might have.

Friend Seb arrives and I give him 4 of the numerous floats I found yesterday. I was disappointed he did not bring me a hot coffee as payment that I had requested.
We settle in to our spots on the run, no bites at first light but I miss some later and lose one. While listening to CBC on my earphones to the early Edition I hear my old flip phone beep. It is Calvin who lost his wallet, we make arrangements to meet . I tell him when he is close I will leave the run and deliver it. It turns out I know his dad and sister who gave him the message I had it.

We chat for a bit and I head back to the run, as I near it Seb shouts out he needs help landing a fish he has been playing for a bit, he says I missed the bite when I was away, we land his fish and he is happy with a chum.

My good deed yields me nothing the rest of the time. Seb lands another fish and leaves for the teaching of his students through Zoom, the new normal. Another friend Rob turns up, I give him my spot and he lands a couple of chum as we chat.

I film a fishery crew doing a chum mark recapture, I will post a couple of videos later. Donot be alarmed at them throwing rocks to help direct the chum into their seine net.
I leave Rob to it and head to do a little river cleanup and found only 2 floats, not like last nights haul but got some garbage you will see in the picture.
While doing the cleanup saw anglers fishing the Sumas, a beaver cuttings and some resting geese, poor photo of that.

During the walk friend Lew phones and says he sees people releasing fish back into the Vedder. I said if they are still there after my cleanup I will investigate. 
They are just leaving when I reach the dyke road. They are also doing a mark recapture program, this time for coho they got from the Chilliwack River Hatchery. They will be doing that for a few weeks they said. They are marking them with disk tags. I asked them to send me more information on what anglers should do if they catch one. I will relate that if they give me the information, maybe I can film them too.

A good morning for sure even though I did not catch a fish. Saying that when you get to my age it does not really matter but what you see when out is way more fun anyway.

Time for a nap.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:16:57 PM by chris gadsden »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: A Journal for October 20, 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 03:24:27 PM »

Good read. Hope the floats you gave Seb didn't leak like the Auston Matthews ones you gave me couple of years ago from guessing the correct number of steelheads caught in the Boxing Day derby.  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 04:16:11 PM »

Good read. Hope the floats you gave Seb didn't leak like the Auston Matthews ones you gave me couple of years ago from guessing the correct number of steelheads caught in the Boxing Day derby.  ;)
I told you to cover them with another TML sticker.lol

essyoo

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 04:51:43 PM »

I love reading these kinds of posts. Thanks for that.

Last week I broke off the last of the handful of floats I bought from you at All About Fishing a couple years back. Was sad to see it float away, we had some great memories together.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 08:27:01 PM »

I love reading these kinds of posts. Thanks for that.

Last week I broke off the last of the handful of floats I bought from you at All About Fishing a couple years back. Was sad to see it float away, we had some great memories together.
Will have to get some too you. It will be a while before we have a tackle sale with COVID

Aki

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 11:05:03 PM »

Chris thank you for all your efforts and your wonderful stories...much appreciated... :)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 08:15:35 AM »

Another great edition of The Journal.
Thanks Chris. :)

stsfisher

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 10:00:32 AM »

Nice report Chris.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 09:54:17 AM »

Always enjoyed the Journals Chris

blueback

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 09:42:31 AM »

Love these journal reports; you're a legend Chris. More journal please; when you have the time. 

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 10:39:48 AM »

Love these journal reports; you're a legend Chris. More journal please; when you have the time.

My Gawd, Gadsden is going to need a larger Leaf hat, lol!   :)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 11:00:39 AM »

X2

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 12:29:32 PM »

My Gawd, Gadsden is going to need a larger Leaf hat, lol!   :)
You need to go fishing, our time is slipping by when you look at the vacant long table.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 02:01:04 PM »

You need to go fishing, our time is slipping by when you look at the vacant long table.

Yeah, the table is definitely getting shorter.  So much wisdom dispensed, so much bullpuckey absorbed, lol
Miss those days Chris, but fishing is behind me now.  Good to see you are still enjoying it!