Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Nicolman Slough and caught a bass! To be expected or to be reported  (Read 5973 times)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

Any water way connected to the Fraser has the potential to hold Bass.

psd1179

• Old Timer

haven't you see Cabales stocked more bass gear and less fly fishing gear?

4x4

Ralph,
The natives were involved with the blocking of the culvert. I spoke with a few of them back in the day. I don't recall the reason but this was a decision made by them and the Dyke Authority.

They were also responsible for having the Dyke access blocked by gates east of Strawberry Island and both entrances to Queens Island. Which is to bad since that portion of the Fraser and the backwaters were great Cutthroat and Salmon waters. The gates were put up due to people throwing insane amounts of garbage into the area as well as 4x4's and ATV's destroying many parts of the area. I don't blame them at all.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Ok. There isn't any designated FN reserve land at the east end but I would guess anything the Dyke authority does, like all levels of government do consulting with local FNs on all such work.

While some dyke access adjacent to FN land was posted most now are not. I used to access Queen's Island via the dyke. The road condition was often horrendous as was the garbage. Once there was a dead cow (dumped) at the Queen's Island parking spot. Access points like this are gated all over the Valley now. You can still access by foot or bicycle.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

4x4

Yes they did consult with FN's.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

haven't you see Cabales stocked more bass gear and less fly fishing gear?

Its always been that way because ordering is done from the eastern office out of Ontario.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

Ok. There isn't any designated FN reserve land at the east end but I would guess anything the Dyke authority does, like all levels of government do consulting with local FNs on all such work.

While some dyke access adjacent to FN land was posted most now are not. I used to access Queen's Island via the dyke. The road condition was often horrendous as was the garbage. Once there was a dead cow (dumped) at the Queen's Island parking spot. Access points like this are gated all over the Valley now. You can still access by foot or bicycle.

If we are talking the same area here I may add that the area to the south of Sihdu farm near Athey 1 road east to Malcom road is all IR land.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

If we are talking the same area here I may add that the area to the south of Sihdu farm near Athey 1 road east to Malcom road is all IR land.

I was referring to the crossing at Dyke and Malcolm Road

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Nicomen+Slough/@49.2072768,-122.009319,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x54843997d44b2e51:0x5dabd4a5725bc9d1!8m2!3d49.1774428!4d-122.0882121

I popped by there today and the tree and brush area just across the slough from Malcolm Road is posted as " Chilliwack Indian Reserve" ... #45 I think.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:37:15 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

I was referring to the crossing at Dyke and Malcolm Road

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Nicomen+Slough/@49.2072768,-122.009319,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x54843997d44b2e51:0x5dabd4a5725bc9d1!8m2!3d49.1774428!4d-122.0882121

I popped by there today and the tree and brush area just across the slough from Malcolm Road is posted as " Chilliwack Indian Reserve" ... #45 I think.

2 summers ago I saw a whole FN crew launching and processing at the boat launch on that side. They had vehicles driving east on that dyke. Ive always wondered who made and maintains that boat launch to the Fraser.