Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This has been a big disappointment  (Read 12631 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
This has been a big disappointment
« on: September 11, 2020, 09:19:19 AM »

This video went up early this morning, I’ll have more to say about it later today.

https://youtu.be/r9EotvQUU8Y

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: This has been a big disappointment
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 11:20:53 AM »

This video went up early this morning, I’ll have more to say about it later today.

https://youtu.be/r9EotvQUU8Y

good video Rod i know its not an easy subject to talk about as it can been very frustrating.

I think there is going to be some interesting management years coming up. 1. what happens next year if we have a good pink return and a bad sockeye year are they going to approve the use of sockeye mesh gillnets to harvest the pinks.  2. in 2022 if we have a good sockeye return are they going to allow them to take place during the endangered chinook summer 5.2 window. The ocean fishery has been told we cant fish for chinook till sept 1 because there is still endangered summer 5.2 chinook present(even tho the data shows 95% of the run is in the river by the second week of august).

I also hope the divide between sports fishermen can be resolved. I still find that when im advocated for openings there is still plenty of sports fishermen that think they are warranted and think closures mean more salmon make it to the spawning grounds.  The reallocation to FN food fisheries is not understood, one because DFO still sells it as conservation.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 02:21:53 PM »

.......appreciate the effort ,understand the frustration .....very similar to the salmon itself swimming upstream.....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 03:11:38 PM »

I can appreciate your frustration. DFO has been mismanaging the resource for years.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 04:17:29 PM »

Thanks

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 10:20:31 PM »

Rod, through your many volunteer hours at the table, you have earned the right to speak your mind. And you did so eloquently, passionately, and fairly. Well done.

And I learned a couple of things about the issues too. Thanks.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 11:08:25 PM »

A very heartfelt video.

I'm struggling to figure out what the hell DFO are doing in the Squamish system.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 09:05:47 AM »

I also hope the divide between sports fishermen can be resolved. I still find that when im advocated for openings there is still plenty of sports fishermen that think they are warranted and think closures mean more salmon make it to the spawning grounds.  The reallocation to FN food fisheries is not understood, one because DFO still sells it as conservation.

The FNs will get their FSC allocation as long as there is any harvestable stock as that is the 1st priority. If some more is provided to the rec sector then the stocks will suffer. Reallocation have also occured due to the courts overturning DFO reductions of FSC allocations as "conservation" . DFO had to go back and negotiate FSC amounts after trying to impose arbitrary reductions.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

4x4

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 01:34:15 PM »

Thx for the vid Rod,

The Salmon number problem is much bigger than First Nations fisheries even though they do impact the Fraser and other rivers tremendously.
I'm on the Fraser on a regular basis and what we see during the course of the year is mind numbing. Go to Sturgeon Slayers Instagram page and look at the multiple dead Sturgeon left in nets on the beach to rot. Same with Salmon. Shameful and sickening.
Chum Salmon are in deep trouble so are Pinks. Yes, last years Pink run was bigger than expected but still poor. 2 yrs previous it was terrible.

Watching 1000's of male Pinks been thrown back in the river because they are worth nothing is a waste, yet The Harrison Chum pet food contract the Natives have (not sure if they still are doing this) send those male Chum to the US. Why not Pinks also? At least take the males out of the net if they are still alive and release them so they have a chance to spawn.

Us sport fishers are also not angels on the water. I've seen people snagging black Springs in the Vedder and watch family members run down the bank fill their totes and drive away to only come back and see it happen again. This is common practice. Not a good practice to teach your kids.
I've seem anglers takes over their limit of Coho and Chum at the Nicomen Slough, Vedder and Fraser on a regular basis. We counted a least 20 poached Spring and Sockeye on the beach at the Port Mann boat launch a few days ago that the Vultures we eating.
The Albion test set numbers are scary low. In one 5 day stretch only 2 Sockeye were caught where it should be at least 100's.

Off shore fishing from other countries catch our Salmon as do we on many US fish.

My point is that the massive reduction of Salmon is a extremely wide spread problem with so many issues affecting the numbers. Nobody can bitch about the natives net fishery on the Fraser if they are not getting any fish because those fish are not their to be caught.
Yes we do need to clean up our own yard with this fishery issue. Make our limits smaller, educate people on how to fish properly and like you said Rod work together with First Nations to enhance the Salmon runs......
I feel some Nations will but there are a handful and we know who they are that will continue to do what they want, when they want with very little if any reaction from DFO. I'm not sure how many fisher people know that there are quite a few hatcheries that are owned and run by First Nations, so let's not paint them all with the same brush.

DFO have to pull their heads out of their @sses and change the rules in so many areas for our Salmon to make a successful come back. And please people let's not forget about the Sturgeon. They also need help especially from poaching.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 01:39:07 PM by 4x4 »

dobrolub

dobrolub

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 03:58:13 PM »

the real progress can only be made when we all realize there is no first or second.. we are one nation.

redside1

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 08:34:35 PM »

the real progress can only be made when we all realize there is no first or second.. we are one nation.
That’s the part I find strange right now. Most of North America is being protested for BLM, equal treatment and whatnot, but one of the groups wanting that to happen also wants race based fisheries to continue.
At some point it needs to be one people one nation

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 08:24:10 AM »

Yes, lets have the oppressor take away one benefit to the oppressed guaranteed in the Canadian Constitution.
It's always great for us all to be equal after taking everything away from one group.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 09:00:02 AM »

That’s the part I find strange right now. Most of North America is being protested for BLM, equal treatment and whatnot, but one of the groups wanting that to happen also wants race based fisheries to continue.
At some point it needs to be one people one nation

They are citizens plus, Meaning they have all the rights of a Canadian Citizen plus they have rights and titles. Its not supposed to be equal.

Just be happy with the fact that you don't live in a cupcakes hole like most of them and don't need need the few pennies form harvesting fish.  Still living and wanting to be like savages harvesting fish.

When was the last time you seen First Nations start up a multimillion dollar biotech firm and live in the 21st century? Think about it, its why 99% of canadians could give a rats my friend about handing some fish to them.

If you think about it like this you will realize why some of them think they are still children of the state.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 09:28:04 AM »

-Film,Report...Film,Report...Film,Report. Poachers are Poachers. No point in whining about the allocation, but there is a point to ensuring the rules are followed. This has to be in mainstream media if we want change. Make those accountable speak up and explain their actions. It would also help to show those who are following the rules...and what that means. We need to force officials to provide and make public what is going on. No spin doctored reports or promises to give reports at some point in the future. We need to know what the escapement objective is and how it is going to be achieved. We can argue later who gets the excess. We get daily COVID reports and those that give them have to explain why and what they are going to do immediately and long term. There is no reason to not have the fishing catch, by-catch and escapement data available to the public so that we can view and comment on what we expect and wish to be done. If the data is NOT available in a timely mannor then how the ---- can we say we are managing it. We need to expose and make public these back room deals which have nothing to do with Fish management. We should all be working to manage the fish first...allocation is political and those that make the political decisions can be held accountable when they stray.