Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Electroshock fishing all but kills Redside shiner infestations  (Read 1967 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

After convincing Provincial officials to try his idea for removing shiners from Paul Lake near Kamloops, Gene Tisdale's electro-fishing technique kills 85 to 90% of the invasive species species from the lake! Both trout and important aquatic species such as scuds and mayflies are returning to abundance after 2 seasons of treatment.

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/experiment-to-remove-invasive-fish-from-a-kamloops-lake-yields-positive-results/it74010?fbclid=IwAR3V3zaIplK5iOZoLMV4VND5F3CPBf0FpzsTvq-yD1mi2hVOgIc48DXvNl8
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Old Blue

Re: Electroshock fishing all but kills Redside shiner infestations
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 10:34:43 AM »

Hope they use it on Courtney

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 11:07:43 AM »

very satisfied seeing so many fish killed at once.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 11:10:04 AM »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 04:41:19 PM »

Interesting. I wasnt aware that you could selectively electro shock by calibrating the current to the size of the target species.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 06:03:34 PM »

looks like our friends at MOFLNR weren't aware of this either. It's a good find.Hopefully there is funding to continue this at Paul and expand to include lakes such as Courtney. I would love to fish Courtney if it had a very low population of shiners.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 05:56:32 AM »

What a great article. Paul Lake has always been a problem. Seeing the other parts of the the lake ecosystem rebounding is great. This looks like it can help many interior lakes. Great stuff. Looks way more cost effective and friendly than a massive poisoning is. There are quite a few candidates here in the interior. I wonder if it can be applied to perch. Seems likely. :)
Riverman

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 08:53:18 AM »

More info on application of electroshock removal of invasive species in BC. Looks like Dragon Lake Goldfish are going to be targeted soon:

https://www.gofishbc.com/Blog/Conservation/Electroshocking-to-Control-Invasive-Species.aspx

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 10:30:01 AM »

Very interesting, thanks Ralph.

I did not see any information on the mortality (if any) of non-target species. 

Is the specificity of this method based on fish genetics or body mass?  (i see from one of the other links it is size).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 10:49:17 AM by Knnn »