Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FFSBC studies the Rainbow trout of BC  (Read 1509 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
FFSBC studies the Rainbow trout of BC
« on: June 15, 2020, 09:08:19 AM »

Here is a good GoFishBC blog article from a few years ago. Among some other facts, FFSBC studies have found that some strains are easier to catch than others, that average catch and release mortality is about 11% and a bit higher for sterile triploid fish. That may be a bit higher than most of us expect.

Enjoy:

https://www.gofishbc.com/Blog/Science-and-Research/Is-a-Rainbow-Really-Just-Another-Rainbow.aspx
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

stsfisher

Re: FFSBC studies the Rainbow trout of BC
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 11:21:41 AM »

I had the opportunity to fish one of these research lakes in 2015. During  my fishing experience on this lake, time was taken to document just about everything possible about each fish captured before release. All of it done as quickly and ethically as possible and as close to how an average angler might handle the fish when planning on releasing fish. To see that the number is 11% or higher does surprise me somewhat, but hard to argue when you see the work being done.

One thing that will always stand out about that experience is the professionalism of those behind the work to ensure data is collected properly as a means of ensuring the anglers experiences in the future are well looked after. The amount of care going into stock selection for the future was very informative and I look forward to seeing some of that work in the future on some of our still waters.