Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any info deals/prices for Spot Prawns?  (Read 3925 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Any info deals/prices for Spot Prawns?
« on: June 05, 2020, 01:33:20 PM »

Hi all

Any info deals/prices for Spot Prawns lower mainland? Curious on what the avg price should be and where's the good buys...thanks

fishtruck

Re: Any info deals/prices for Spot Prawns?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 02:10:00 PM »

T &T flyer has it on sale for $16.99/lb. Only on for 3 days from today

fishtruck

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 02:39:19 PM »

H Mart has them for $14.99

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 11:39:44 AM »

where and what is H mart
see ya on the river

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 04:47:18 PM »

where and what is H mart
Type "H Mart" into Google and it will give you all the info you could ever want, including locations.

Masks are required to enter but they sell them for $1 each if you don't have one. They were doing temperature checks too but I heard they were discontinuing those soon because people were getting too hot in the sun while waiting in the lineup ::)

I usually go to Steveston but it's been an absolute gong show this year! They've sold out within two hours both yesterday and today. Probably due to them offering preorders for the first time. This week's price off the boat is $17 which is cheaper than I've seen from them in years. Wonder if it's because exporting them is tougher now? I think I read on their FB page that the price is going up next week due to demand. Crazy. I guess everyone is home cooking these days.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 04:51:15 PM by Blood_Orange »

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 04:58:58 PM »

Type "H Mart" into Google and it will give you all the info you could ever want, including locations.

Thanks Tips
see ya on the river

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 08:02:58 PM »

Thanks Tips

Seems like the obvious answer to your question ;)

That said, it's good to know about the masks and temperature checks ahead of time. I've read a couple of Tri-City News letters to the editor recently about H-Mart's policies. Mostly just people whining about having to wear a mask to protect the store workers ::)

Will try the Steveston dock on Wed morning. Will report back about lines, etc... maybe it won't be such a gong show during the week.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 04:03:13 PM »

My buddy was at T&T today and happened to be there right when they got in a shipment. $17/lb, max 4 lbs per person. He got 4 lbs for me but still planning on heading to Steveston on Wed. It'll probably cost more per pound out there but it's a nice drive :D

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 04:46:53 PM »

BC spot prawns a local product. Unfortunately the locals don’t get to share in the bounty as the majority of the catch is exported overseas. IMO they should be in every supermarket in the lower mainland so we all can share in the bounty. Not lining up at the Stevenson docks for hrs hoping to get a feed of prawns before they sell out or lining up to get inside TandT and hoping they have a fresh shipment just come in. Valley folk like myself makes for long drive  to the Stevenson docks and the closest TandT is Surrey. So I will go without for another year trying to remember the taste of the sweet tasting succulent crustaceans a local product on my dinner plate.  :'(

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 05:07:15 PM »

BC spot prawns a local product. Unfortunately the locals don’t get to share in the bounty as the majority of the catch is exported overseas. IMO they should be in every supermarket in the lower mainland so we all can share in the bounty. Not lining up at the Stevenson docks for hrs hoping to get a feed of prawns before they sell out or lining up to get inside TandT and hoping they have a fresh shipment just come in. Valley folk like myself makes for long drive  to the Stevenson docks and the closest TandT is Surrey. So I will go without for another year trying to remember the taste of the sweet tasting succulent crustaceans a local product on my dinner plate.  :'(

Agree that’s it’s frustrating that local seafood is so expensive.

You can get them In langley at one fish two fish http://www.1fish2fish.ca/

But $$

fishtruck

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 05:08:24 PM »

There's a local fish market at Market Crossing in Burnaby called Fresh Ideas Start Here(FISH). After going all over Richmond in search of Spot Prawns and getting  skunked, called them and found they had just had a shipment of over 80 lbs delivered to their  store. The prices were $20 for big sized ones and $18 for smaller ones.
If I had known they had them there, I would have gone there first to help our local fishmonger.
PS they were absolutely fantastic and completely sustainable

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 06:24:07 PM »

There's a local fish market at Market Crossing in Burnaby called Fresh Ideas Start Here(FISH).

Yes! I buy lots of stuff there. We got some (6) at Granville Island Market today where they were $27/lb and $49 with the head off. Having it with Arctic Char filet.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 06:56:49 PM »

We have a membership with Skipper Otto's co-op out of Granville Island and prawns are $27/lb there this year. Haven't ever bought prawns from them as their prawn price is always quite high. They have good quality fresh salmon during openings though.

Wiseguy: Agreed. Sucks they usually get shipped off and we can't enjoy more of them.

Fishtruck: Just looked up FISH and it looks great! Will call them this week and skip Steveston if they're in stock. Their prices are close enough to Steveston that I'd rather pay a couple bucks more per pound and save the gas/time/risk of striking out.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 07:27:41 PM »

Just out of curiosity, how many spot prawns are there in one pound? These prices seem outrageously high considering you can get out for a day of guided prawning and salmon fishing at a very reasonable rate split between four people.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 07:59:34 PM »

Just out of curiosity, how many spot prawns are there in one pound? These prices seem outrageously high considering you can get out for a day of guided prawning and salmon fishing at a very reasonable rate split between four people.

It's 12-16 per pound. Today's 4 pounds from T&T was 49 prawns but they were on the big side. Average in my experience is 13 or 14 per pound.

We've had mixed success with prawning during winter charters. My dad and I do a winter trip every year and a summer trip every couple of years. In the winter they drop 2 traps per person and the best haul we had in 4 traps was 140-ish prawns. The other times we've been it's in the 100-120 range for 4 traps. Winter 2020 we only managed to retrieve two of the four traps. One had a small octopus in it along with some prawn heads. Only wound up with 35 or so.

We've never even come close to breaking even on a charter but we go because it's fun. A great catch on a winter charter would be something like 10lb prawns, 8 crabs, one 12 lb chinook. That's 200 + 240 + 200ish in seafood for 800 + tax + tip. Even if we caught 3 chinook in the 10-15lb range we'd be looking at breaking even with retail seafood prices. Not complaining, just breaking it down because I like math 8) The math obviously changes with 4 people but I've been going on too long...