Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any info deals/prices for Spot Prawns?  (Read 3924 times)

blueback

Re: Any info deals/prices for Spot Prawns?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 01:33:43 PM »

There's a local fish market at Market Crossing in Burnaby called Fresh Ideas Start Here(FISH). After going all over Richmond in search of Spot Prawns and getting  skunked, called them and found they had just had a shipment of over 80 lbs delivered to their  store. The prices were $20 for big sized ones and $18 for smaller ones.
If I had known they had them there, I would have gone there first to help our local fishmonger.
PS they were absolutely fantastic and completely sustainable

Hey thanks for the heads up on 'Fresh Ideas Start Here' at Market Crossing in Burnaby, Fishtruck! After reading the thread at lunchtime yesterday, I went over there after work and picked up a whack of prawns. I called ahead so they saved me the amount of prawns I wanted; good thing because there were a lot of folks wanting same. They actually ran out after giving me mine. They even gave me a bit of a deal for the last ones they had. After beheading them my son and I ate a bunch sushi style, and they were awesome, although they seem better when we catch them ourselves ;). I'll go back there again for some of the other products they sell. I should've said FWR sent me here. ;D 

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2020, 03:28:09 PM »

I went to FISH in Burnaby for the first time today to get prawns. You can order online and pick up the next day so we paid the extra money to save the time/gas to Steveston and also be assured of getting 10lbs for the freezer. Steveston sells max 5lbs per person this year.

They have live tanks at the front of the store but all they contained was a couple dozen dead prawns. I don't know why but it wasn't a good look. The live prawns were in styrofoam coolers in the back and seemed pretty listless. The guy sorted through the coolers and grabbed the ones that were still kicking but it took him almost ten minutes to sort through them to find good ones. No disrespect to the guy working, he was doing the best he could but the prawns weren't in great shape today.

Got home ten minutes later. Half the prawns were lively, about a quarter were listless, and another quarter showed no signs of life. FISH has great reviews both here and online. I had high hopes but their showing today was mediocre. I'll just go to the docks next year.

As an aside, the prawns are huge this year! Both from T&T and from FISH. The 10lbs today was 107 prawns. Most years it's 130-140. There were a bunch of giants in there!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 05:06:34 PM »

That's too bad. The staff there has pretty much turned over in the last months. Not sure what's up. This past Valentines Day we ordered their "Romantic Seafood Platter". My wife works M-F. She doesn't want to do anything complicated on a Friday. The Platter was supposed to have lobster. When we got it it had prawns in place of the lobster. Otherwise it was fine but I was disappointed.

I don't know about prawns but live lobster is stored at near freezing temperature. They are so cold they don't want to move. That way they keep them alive for months. Live prawns I have bought have lived for hours in the fridge in a bucket or a bag. Buy 'em in the morning, stick 'em in the fridge and they are alive in the evening.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 06:18:07 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.