Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Army and Navy closes after 101 years.  (Read 11739 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Re: Army and Navy closes after 101 years.
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2020, 11:21:23 AM »

received notice that the fishing and camping stuff is only going to be 15 percent off....

I thought about this but then thought... heck.... why not support the little guy at the tackle shop.

Not that Army Navy isn't a good place but I can tell you the service I heave received over the years from Highwater is second to none.  Dave was great and now Gil is rocking it.  Don't forget during these times we need to support each other.   
see ya on the river

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 11:55:58 AM »

The email I rec'd said 25% off all fishing and camping.

I guess I get a better deal than you! :)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2020, 02:03:33 PM »

sorry. my bad   25%. still worth feeding the lil guy...
see ya on the river

essyoo

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2020, 12:27:52 PM »

Went this morning, waited in line for an hour and a half, left. They only had one cashier working so the line to pay inside was ridiculous and they weren't letting more people in until others left. Figured saving a couple bucks wasn't worth spending my whole day standing in lines. Will go to a local shop instead.

Shout out to the guy behind me in line who kept standing too close and when I politely asked him to "please keep some distance" told me "no, f#ck off. don't f#cking talk to me".

people are awesome.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2020, 12:43:42 PM »

Thanks for that. Rethinking my decision to go with a buddy after work. I just had some smaller items in mind to pick up and all that effort for saving $20 doesn’t really seem worth it

essyoo

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2020, 02:19:34 PM »

I was really hoping to pick up a casting rod for the Vedder as well as some fly tying materials but it's exactly as you said. Is wasting my work day to save 25% at best really the best use of my time? Especially when it also involves being in the vicinity of too many people who couldn't care less about being safe right now.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2020, 02:31:55 PM »

After going to the whole sale sports blow out and leaving disappointed I knew this would not be worth it.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2020, 05:49:56 PM »

cannot get into the store after 5:00pm. Come on it is 25% off

hammer

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2020, 05:52:34 PM »

I drove by...line too long. Essyoo made my decision to not go. I will go sea run.

randya

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2020, 02:04:31 PM »

Anyone been by there lately? Wondering how the lines are now. It looked like a lot of fishing gear there in the photo I saw last week

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2020, 07:51:12 AM »

Its strange out there. We have a huge lack of retail fishing outlets in the region now. Ill definitely miss Army and Navy. I miss Wholesale Sports more. That store had everything you needed to fish in this region. Prices were good and when they had a sale it was a good sale  they literally had every single BlueFox spinner in the catalog. Bass Pro Shops and Cavelas selection of regional tackle is terrible and Freds ALWAYS sells put of the seasonal tackle during peak salmon or Steel season. Dont vother to reapool with 15 pound or 20 pound braid at Freds during salmon season. They never have it. Popular Coho spinners ? Good luck. You gotta stock up before the season begins. Sea Run is great but then again, I'm in Mission and thats a drive. You only have Freds and Hatch Matcher servicing Maple Ridge,Langley, Abbotsford  and Chilliwack. Thats a huge population. You could count Dart and Tackle and Vell Sports but the selection at those stores is sad.

randya

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2020, 05:51:46 PM »

Went to Army/ Navy today, they still have lots of stock. Bought a couple of Scotty anchor stops and some Kokanee lures etc. No lineup to get in but waited 75 minutes to pay. 2 slow cashiers and another similar lineup upstairs. Absolutely painful! Would have purchased more but when I saw the lineup I had to get out of there

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2020, 10:26:54 PM »

Went to Army/ Navy today, they still have lots of stock. Bought a couple of Scotty anchor stops and some Kokanee lures etc. No lineup to get in but waited 75 minutes to pay. 2 slow cashiers and another similar lineup upstairs. Absolutely painful! Would have purchased more but when I saw the lineup I had to get out of there

How much did you save and was the total length of time for your trip, including travel time?

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2020, 09:55:26 AM »

How much did you save and was the total length of time for your trip, including travel time?

You know that the ratio of money saved to time spent is going to be dismal. Just let him bask in the glow of having saved a few bucks :P

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2020, 10:41:35 AM »

If this is the metric, then why buy in person at all. Lots of tackle shops now have online sales with free shipping.

I get most of my saltwater gear now from shops on the island.