Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Army and Navy closes after 101 years.  (Read 11747 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Army and Navy closes after 101 years.
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 11:06:27 AM »

I bought my first Avon reel at the West Hastings store in the seventies, that I still use. I believe I paid $17 for it. Used to buy shotgun shells there too, by the case I think Imperials and Canuck Heavy Load worked out around $3 a box.

When there we always had to look around the meat store next door to it, forget the name. I used to visit Harkley & Hayward store behind Army and Navy

Good memories now long gone.

Save On Meats

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 11:46:23 AM »

Is it still there?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 01:44:17 PM »

Still there but in a different format

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2020, 02:18:39 PM »

I worked the downtown store for a few years, I was one they hired to help restore it around 2005 or so, they had wanted to rebuild it back to its former glory. But the area, man, the stories I could tell you of the behaviour down there. Absolutely disgusting at times.

And as a consequence, nobody wanted to drive down and park the truck and come in when dealing with the very real threat of vehicle break-in, aggressive panhandlers, bodily fluids, and worse. It was sad to see.

I will always miss George my elderly co-worker, a gentlemen of the old order, who was a walking encyclopedia of BC fishing knowledge, he was one of the kindest and nicest persons I have had the privilege of knowing and calling a friend. And to my other co-workers, they know who they are, some post here, we had some fun times eh? Shoe sales were nuts!

And I really enjoyed meeting all of you folks, the local fishing community, swapping stories, hearing about great trips. I really enjoyed seeing newbies come in, get all set up, then come back later with tales of success. I also learned a lot from those who were more experienced and took some time to share their knowledge, thanks for that!

Farewell A&N!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:21:09 PM by iblly »

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2020, 02:23:31 PM »

My wife works for VPD and spent 20+ years working at Main and Hastings building. She has plenty of stories from that area as well. It's a whole different world down there.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2020, 04:53:57 PM »

My wife works for VPD and spent 20+ years working at Main and Hastings building. She has plenty of stories from that area as well. It's a whole different world down there.
When I was first in that area, early sixties, before most of you were born it was not all that bad but look at it now.

Most of our larger towns are getting like that now and contiues to get worse, I know it is like that in DTCHWK

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2020, 05:29:38 PM »

Sardis is gettin sketchy too

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2020, 07:34:27 PM »

When I was first in that area, early sixties, before most of you were born it was not all that bad but look at it now.

Most of our larger towns are getting like that now and contiues to get worse, I know it is like that in DTCHWK

Unfortunately city council doesn't care. They're more interested in building bike lanes instead of cleaning up the Downtown Eastside.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2020, 07:56:24 PM »

Unfortunately there’s no simple solution to the problems down there

arimaBOATER

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 08:06:15 PM »

Unfortunately city council doesn't care. They're more interested in building bike lanes instead of cleaning up the Downtown Eastside.
Yes downtown ...before /after dark...prostitution drugs crime alcohol assault rape robbery...
But in NYC read about a story...where in daytime a gang of black teens...14-16 yrs old maybe about 10-12 or so in number swarmed a 13 yr old black girl...knocked her to the ground ...kicked and stomped on her...she was bloodied ...one teen then took her running shoes.
Good girl who was on a basketball team at school or some gym...
Her mom is a single parent ..with 2 children girl/boy.
Some of the teens have been arrested. One teen was shot dead.....think the one who took the shoes. ( shot not by the police)
But downtown Vancouver...the victims are many.

As for Army/Navy really so sad it's shutting down.
Got tempted and stole a 25 dollar reel at the New West store. Ya would come in the main doors from Columbia St . and nearby was stairs going down to the bottom floor ..at bottom of stairs hang a 180 L or R and there was the fishing tackle rods so on...always quite the crowd too.
Well it was only a week later ...and I returned the reel.
A man was thankful and said I did the right thing.
Just felt too guilty. Maybe 12 yrs old at the time.
Good thing I returned it.
If not maybe I'd be a bank robber or jewelry store robber today.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 08:09:17 PM by A-BOATER »

obie1fish

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2020, 07:46:44 PM »

Good for you on returning, A Boater. My dad was the store manager for a number of years,, and you were one of the few with a good conscience. He had to deal with the security nightmare of an alley between the two buildings. He would get calls in the middle of the night to take care of broken store windows and what not.
I worked the fishing department back when Nishi was working there. I also got my 1st fishing rod there when I was 6.
Dad finished his career there, but always loved managing the New West store. I worked there, too, in 1979 and 1980. There were people working there who were real characters. I was a teen who  was trying to find himself, and being the boss' son was a little daunting. People would drive down from the interior and use us as a wholesaler. I remember stacking the dolly with ammo to wheel out to the parking lot. I also got to talk with former Canuck Glen Hanlon quite a bit. I still have and use some raw cork floats we were selling for 5 cents apiece. Oh, the memories of a better time...
Pretty good smokies, malted milks, homemade doughnuts, and a cheap cup of coffee. My dad always wanted cheap food and coffee for those less fortunate that you guys talked about.
Memories of a bygone era.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:48:28 PM by obie1fish »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2020, 05:00:14 PM »

Good for you on returning, A Boater. My dad was the store manager for a number of years,, and you were one of the few with a good conscience. He had to deal with the security nightmare of an alley between the two buildings. He would get calls in the middle of the night to take care of broken store windows and what not.
I worked the fishing department back when Nishi was working there. I also got my 1st fishing rod there when I was 6.
Dad finished his career there, but always loved managing the New West store. I worked there, too, in 1979 and 1980. There were people working there who were real characters. I was a teen who  was trying to find himself, and being the boss' son was a little daunting. People would drive down from the interior and use us as a wholesaler. I remember stacking the dolly with ammo to wheel out to the parking lot. I also got to talk with former Canuck Glen Hanlon quite a bit. I still have and use some raw cork floats we were selling for 5 cents apiece. Oh, the memories of a better time...
Pretty good smokies, malted milks, homemade doughnuts, and a cheap cup of coffee. My dad always wanted cheap food and coffee for those less fortunate that you guys talked about.
Memories of a bygone era.
Thanks obie1fish for kind comment.
The guilt consumed me big time.
Plus if I had a bad day fishing ...the curse of the stolen reel ...
Driving to fishing location and flat tire ...the curse of the stolen reel.
A load of guilt left me returning that reel.
Never did use it...brought it back about 2 /3 wks later.
New condition like it was when I took it.

Wow that must of been great talking to The Carrot. Glen Hanlon.
He had a lot of good games ...some not so good.
He was /is a likeable guy.
Your family & you have memories about the store for sure.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2020, 10:29:10 PM »

I see on June 4th , 40% off the entire store in new west .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2020, 10:57:45 PM »

I see on June 4th , 40% off the entire store in new west .
“Up to” 40% off

I guess they are consolidating all their stock from the other stores into their New West location?

essyoo

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 10:00:40 AM »

Been wondering what was going to happen to their stock. Kept checking Able Auctions to see if it would pop up. The Langley store is gutted so I assume this is the consolidation of all three stores in the lower mainland.