Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It's a sad thing  (Read 6131 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
It's a sad thing
« on: February 12, 2020, 05:05:01 PM »

The construction of the new overpass and roadways in North Vancouver  along the mountain highway stretch came at the cost of a small stream that feeds into Lynn Creek. I used to take my son's down there to watch the chum returning to spawn  but with the work being done there the stream is done. It's  a shame as it was such a small waterway to have much of a return but the significance of the loss continues to add to the death of a thousand  cuts. I brought it up when a politician came door knocking looking for votes. He couldn't run away gast enough.
http://

MetalAndFeathers

Re: It's a sad thing
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 05:51:53 PM »

https://ibb.co/cNMSxDb/
Mosquito creek earlier this year. If only people cared about the environment as much as us anglers.. Same reason fisheries will always be on the decline

« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 05:57:47 PM by MetalAndFeathers »
I know how to catch fish.......Sometimes.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 12:50:28 PM »

You're right, Nova. It is a very sad thing indeed.  Certainly a project of that scope would have had an environmental risk assessment completed. In some cases, when habitat loss/damage is inevitable, habitat is enhanced elsewhere to compensate.   

Have you contacted, or considered contacting, DFO to report a habitat violation? If you do, ask for a response so you can learn what they determine and if an investigation was completed.  I/we would be interested to hear what you learn.

"To report suspicious fishing activity or habitat violations, please contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office, or call the 24-hour, toll-free "Observe, Record Report line" at  1-800-222-8477."

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 12:57:25 PM »

The construction of the new overpass and roadways in North Vancouver  along the mountain highway stretch came at the cost of a small stream that feeds into Lynn Creek. I used to take my son's down there to watch the chum returning to spawn  but with the work being done there the stream is done. It's  a shame as it was such a small waterway to have much of a return but the significance of the loss continues to add to the death of a thousand  cuts. I brought it up when a politician came door knocking looking for votes. He couldn't run away gast enough.

When you say the stream is done, what do you mean exactly?  Has it been permanently destroyed? This would be a Fisheries Violation, so I presume it must still be running somewhere.  Was it was buried in a culvert over a portion of it's length?

Also, have you though to ask ZoAnn Morton with the North Shore (pacific) stream keepers.  She is pretty clued into what is going on in most Creeks and Rivers in north Van and does a lot of fish counting and restoration work, etc.  She can be contacted at pskf@direct.ca

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 01:35:40 PM »

I inquired about this job

DNV, Moti, DFO, streamkeepers, and Native reps were monitoring the creeks progress. Salmon were seen using the the creek.

It was a very high profile job.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:38:45 PM by wildmanyeah »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 06:50:11 PM »

2x
50 yrs it will be stories like this in the eastern Fraser Valley.

Robert_G

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 03:01:29 PM »

2x
50 yrs it will be stories like this in the eastern Fraser Valley.

Except the fish out here are mostly gone too.
I've been fishing these small streams out here for decades. There are still some good days, but mostly just a shadow of what it used to be like.

likely

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 03:04:39 PM »

kind of sounds like what is going to happen to the aloutte in maple ridge. when they start all the development off fern cresent

arimaBOATER

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 03:40:43 AM »

Except the fish out here are mostly gone too.
I've been fishing these small streams out here for decades. There are still some good days, but mostly just a shadow of what it used to be like.
Ya you would know after all those years fishing those streams.

A while back seen tv news report of people not wanting that development which will affect the Alouette R. 

Robert_G

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 10:34:46 AM »

Ya you would know after all those years fishing those streams.

A while back seen tv news report of people not wanting that development which will affect the Alouette R.

Just for example. In the late 80s into the 90s...if you ever wanted to go out for a quick Coho for Christmas, the Maria Slough (there was a kill fishery back then on Coho) was as close to a sure thing as you could ask for.
Didn't matter if you fished the mouth or a pool upstream, there was always a nice clean good sized Coho or 2 in Dec even past the new year. And unless it was freezing cold you could always get them on crocs too. Of course by the time you got your Coho, you would have caught and released a half dozen Cutties up to 3lbs too.
Even 20 years ago, I would never post this on the internet, but now.....who cares? The Mariah Slough still has a few fish in it, but not even a fraction of what it was.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 08:35:17 PM »

Just for example. In the late 80s into the 90s...if you ever wanted to go out for a quick Coho for Christmas, the Maria Slough (there was a kill fishery back then on Coho) was as close to a sure thing as you could ask for.
Didn't matter if you fished the mouth or a pool upstream, there was always a nice clean good sized Coho or 2 in Dec even past the new year. And unless it was freezing cold you could always get them on crocs too. Of course by the time you got your Coho, you would have caught and released a half dozen Cutties up to 3lbs too.
Even 20 years ago, I would never post this on the internet, but now.....who cares? The Mariah Slough still has a few fish in it, but not even a fraction of what it was.

Sockeye too

DanTfisherman

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 11:37:37 PM »

I used to have great outings fishing for Pinks on the fly rod in Maria Slough.  Would do trips for Cutties as well with a buddy, and it was great fun.  Interestingly, by buddy and I also hooked and released Springs there a few times.  Always wondered whether they were native to the slough, or just resting and planning to move on elsewhere.  An area I have not been to for about 10 years now. :-(

Dano

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 07:44:45 AM »

There is a population of Red Springs native to Maria Slough. A paper I have from "1999 The Fraser Valley Salmon Streams Assessment" describes this population as unique. I think it is a summer run. I have seen it mentioned in the IFMP and in escapement reviews. The paper does say there are populations of all 5 species of Pacific Salmon in the Maria Slough watershed. Back in the 90s I did see spawning sockeye in the slough plus in the Fraser side channel at the mouth. The latest decent shape coho (slightly pewter colored) I caught on a Jan 30th day several years ago. I have taken bright fish in mid Dec. There used to be good fishing for pinks in the side channel and pinks spawned there in considerable numbers. Due to erosion in recent years that area is no longer accessible to bank anglers. Access to the slough it self has become pretty sketchy as many areas are fenced and posted.

Worth noting that The Salmon River (Fort Langley) also has a small population of springs.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 07:03:24 PM »

There is a population of Red Springs native to Maria Slough. A paper I have from "1999 The Fraser Valley Salmon Streams Assessment" describes this population as unique. I think it is a summer run. I have seen it mentioned in the IFMP and in escapement reviews. The paper does say there are populations of all 5 species of Pacific Salmon in the Maria Slough watershed. Back in the 90s I did see spawning sockeye in the slough plus in the Fraser side channel at the mouth. The latest decent shape coho (slightly pewter colored) I caught on a Jan 30th day several years ago. I have taken bright fish in mid Dec. There used to be good fishing for pinks in the side channel and pinks spawned there in considerable numbers. Due to erosion in recent years that area is no longer accessible to bank anglers. Access to the slough it self has become pretty sketchy as many areas are fenced and posted.

Worth noting that The Salmon River (Fort Langley) also has a small population of springs.

I used to fly fish the slough 10 years ago. A native buddy I know says there hasn't been a Spring in Maria slough in a long time. Lots of big Carp tho.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 03:16:42 PM »

No I didn't do a lot of digging into what was going on admittedly. I just saw a  very small stream dried up with no flow much like the picture of mosquito creek. It's not just about the fish but the aquatic insect life, the birds, and all the other forms of nature that relied on the small stream. I doubt the creek saw any significant return of fish, other than a few chum but now there's culverts and concrete instead of a glimpse at the ecology that used to exist on the north shore despite all of the growth this area's seen. The determination to return and spawn is humbling.
http://