Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Serious Clay Slide On The Chilliwack River  (Read 13718 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Re: Serious Clay Slide On The Chilliwack River
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2020, 11:24:45 PM »

The top rods catch fish in water others have just fished before him. I have seen this happened a few times. When I was a greenie steelheader 30+ years ago, me and another friend fished a lower run for 2 hours with the usual stuffs, pink worm, roe, spinner. After 2 hours of no hookup, we concluded that there must be no fish in the run and were ready to pack and go. Then an oldtimer showed up and promptly hook 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, all 5 fish one after another before our eyes. He didn't use any of the popular stuff. He just fished with wool combo that I rarely saw anyone using for steelhead. Go figure. I also know another guy who seemed to be able to hook into multiple fish in a run where others had been combing for hours. He is a friend who used a special lure and twice I saw him hooked into multiple fish in water just fished by others. Yes, how about 4 fish vs 0 by 6 other guys casting into the same stretch of water in a small run above the old prison camp. He is another oldtimer who fished very day. He later told me he needed more challenge on steelhead and he switched into spey rods. Lol. So there are guys who can do that. Just today my friend met one of the posters above (won't name him) and fishing the same spot over the same water. He hooked 2 and my friend skunked in that water (but my friend hooked 2 today at a different spot, one being a monster he couldn't land). Yea, there are top rods out there for sure and there is lot to learn from the top rods. Unfortunately most of them are secretive and won't share in a public forum, which is perfectly understandable.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 11:27:56 PM by Steelhawk »