Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish River  (Read 13343 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Squamish River
« on: November 14, 2019, 12:28:15 PM »

Planning a trip to the Squamish at the end of the month.Been several yrs since I have fished the Squamish river for bull trout. Do the logging trucks still run during week days? Where would be a good place to start? Plan on using beads. What about spoons? Is there any campgrounds in the area? Any info is much appreciated.

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish River
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 12:35:49 PM »

There are campground at Ashlu bridge, and one campsite upper, and at eloha river bridge. But no service.
Logging truck are there, but not very often encounter them

Other than that, cannot comment online

wooly bugger

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 12:37:06 PM »

Spoons would work.  The one time I went (many years ago) I was swinging / spin-casting a silver spoon with a green stripe on it.  One of those wide body spoons (not the Crocs).  Caught a few bull trout on it, but what absolutely made my day was an unintended by-catch - a beautiful super chrome steelhead.

Couldn't believe it.  I've never caught a steelhead before, and haven't caught one since that day.  Caught it with the green spoon :D  Most epic by-catch ever!

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »

There are campground at Ashlu bridge, and one campsite upper, and at eloha river bridge. But no service.
Logging truck are there, but not very often encounter them

Other than that, cannot comment online
Nice! I don’t need power.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 06:04:55 PM »

I was swinging / spin-casting a silver spoon with a green stripe on it.  One of those wide body spoons (not the Crocs).  Caught a few bull trout on it, but what absolutely made my day was an unintended by-catch - a beautiful super chrome steelhead.

Couldn't believe it.  I've never caught a steelhead before, and haven't caught one since that day.  Caught it with the green spoon :D  Most epic by-catch ever!
Excellent.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 04:04:41 PM »

Almost 500 views and only 2 offering info? Mmm, not a very good average.

Old Blue

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 10:38:25 PM »

It's one of those systems people don't like to talk about too much except during the pinkies.
I think by end of November the river would be pretty high and tough to fish effectively unless we get a big cold snap down lower elevation.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 11:04:22 PM »

Maybe most people who have read this just don't really fish the Squamish. Interest has dropped in recent years for whatever reason. 15 years ago we used to fish it regularly. Upper Squamish River's catch and release fishery used to be great for coho salmon in the last two weeks of October and first two weeks of November. By late November it's pretty much done but the focus shifts to targeting trout and char with trout beads. It could be a poorer year since the return of chum salmon has been poor so far.

Looking forward to see your report when you return from the trip.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 08:12:39 AM »

Thanx Rod for your response. Much appreciated. Will be targeting Bull trout. Hoping now the river will drop into shape after this heavy rainfall predicted.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 12:35:35 PM »

Interest has dropped in recent years? You obviously have not been up here. This years fall fishing pressure has been slower but that is probably directly related to no fish. Chum are an unmitigated disaster. They are just not here. I have lived near this river and fished it for 35 years and I have never seen anything remotely this bad for chum. Just a ghost town. Coho are way poorer than recent years. Pinks were fair at best but the pressure on pinks was off the charts. Guides are all over this river system and it's always busy. The char get fished hard all fall and winter and steelhead are extremely poor. The mountains are pretty though and grizzly bears are on the upswing. I guess if you compare to the valley streams the pressure is not bad but then again there are not nearly as many fish.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 04:35:25 PM »

Always busy now. Grizzly bears on the upswing. Interesting.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 05:37:22 PM »

Always busy now. Grizzly bears on the upswing. Interesting.

I saw three guys carrying bear sprey today. But dare they spey an angry grizzly bear in short distance? I doubted

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 06:38:28 PM »

I saw three guys carrying bear sprey today. But dare they spey an angry grizzly bear in short distance? I doubted

I carry bear spray when on remote hikes but I've always doubted it'll do more than provide a reassuring feeling.

Effective range of bear spray: 5 - 10 feet (1.5 - 3 meters)
Top speed of grizzly bear: 35 mph (56 kph)
Time it takes for a grizzly at top speed to run 3 meters: 0.2 seconds (approx.)

Hopefully I encounter a slow-moving grizzly and not a charging one ;)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 07:04:28 PM »

How was the fishing?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 08:06:34 PM »

Interest has dropped in recent years? You obviously have not been up here. This years fall fishing pressure has been slower but that is probably directly related to no fish. Chum are an unmitigated disaster. They are just not here. I have lived near this river and fished it for 35 years and I have never seen anything remotely this bad for chum. Just a ghost town. Coho are way poorer than recent years. Pinks were fair at best but the pressure on pinks was off the charts. Guides are all over this river system and it's always busy. The char get fished hard all fall and winter and steelhead are extremely poor. The mountains are pretty though and grizzly bears are on the upswing. I guess if you compare to the valley streams the pressure is not bad but then again there are not nearly as many fish.

Sorry B, I wasn't suggesting that angling pressure has declined. Just from my observations overall interest seems to have dropped, probably due to drop in catch success. I haven't fished it in almost ten years now.

So, if you were to prioritize, what would be your top five things on the to-do list to improve the current state of this system?