Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waders on a budget  (Read 14631 times)

essyoo

Waders on a budget
« on: November 12, 2019, 06:04:29 PM »

Searching through past posts it looks like there were a couple of threads about this, but they were quite a while ago and not too specific.

So, I've been using some Canadian Tire neoprene specials for a while now and I'd like to move on to some breathable waders soon. Trying to keep the budget under $200 for a pair. From the looks of it, the main two contenders are the Froggs Toggs Hellbenders and the Hodgman H3's. Anyone have experience with either/both of these that could offer some insight into their pros or cons?

Are there others I should consider?

mikeyman

Re: Waders on a budget
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 06:29:31 PM »

Buy higher end. Cheaper waders don't last long. H5 so far so good.

spoiler

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 07:08:06 PM »

here's what  can say,
all waders leak eventually so it doesn't matter whether you buy $800 Simms G4'S or $25 waders from wherever.
between my son and I we have owned pretty much every brand at every price point and the result is the same.
I think, depending on how many days per year usage it's better to buy a bunch of pairs of cheap waders

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 09:48:42 PM »

here's what  can say,
all waders leak eventually so it doesn't matter whether you buy $800 Simms G4'S or $25 waders from wherever.
between my son and I we have owned pretty much every brand at every price point and the result is the same.
I think, depending on how many days per year usage it's better to buy a bunch of pairs of cheap waders

To be honest I've owned my G4Z SIMMS for 6 years. I use them two times a week a year on average. Zero leaks. I bushwack, from the boat and normal trail usage. No leaks. During the fall and winter I may use them 4 days a week. They are the best waders I've ever owned and you really do get what you pay for. Period

96XJ

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 09:55:05 PM »

After 2 tubes of aqua seal on my Orvis waders , i figure it’s time for new ones soon , I think I’m going with the H5 , tried a pair on and liked it , $275 - not a bad price

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 11:06:34 PM »

here's what  can say,

My Simms G4 waders do not leak after 5 yrs of hard use. Best waders I have ever owned.

essyoo

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 11:30:01 PM »

While I agree you do get what you pay for, we are a single income family of five in one of the most expensive areas to live in the world. All of my gear is either used, deeply on sale, or I make it myself. My budget isn't going to suddenly expand 3X.

What I'm really looking for is: what is the most value I can get for that budget?

DanTfisherman

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 02:05:21 AM »

I myself have good quality waders and have purchased Simms for some time now.
That being said, I feel that how long a pair of waders lasts has a lot to do with "body type" and how they fit.
My Simms have been good, and when I do puncture them with branches, etc, I do repair them and that is on me.
One thing I have noted is different body types impact the durability of waders.
For me, I am a bigger guy, and do do a lot of travel.
I have purchased and sized my waders well.
Yet, my well worn, 7 year old? Simms G3 Special editions came to have issues which I am going to blame on my "body type"
One was related to the customized feet.
They felt good on and the ergonomical design was nice.
Yet, my feet are a bit wider, and my legs a bit muscular and thicker.
This resulted in a tighter fit and more pulling and tugging when the feet came off.
This seemed to result in the seam tape inside coming off, and some slow leaks in the feet.
Neoprene feet have been pulled off and new ones put on.  They feel nice and fit well.
Another issue I found is due to the seams, the inner thighs and the crotch area would fit in a way that there has been friction while walking.
As a result, some areas the outer layer has worn through and started to leak.
Once again, Simms was great and when sent in, put on high quality patches inside the waders that are holding up great.
At the same time, this area is still continuing to run and the gortex wear thin.  This will lead to future failure.

As I said, they have been great.  But, I think different guys fit waders in different ways, and depending on the cut and design of certain brands, this can work to promote failure and pre-mature wear.

Just some thoughts.

Dano

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 04:28:39 AM »

My buddy has got the third band new freestone wader replacement from Simms. I don't think there is better deal than that

ae_9

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 06:37:06 AM »

Army and Navy has some good deals every now and then.

stsfisher

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 07:56:34 AM »

I have owned them all in the low to mid price range. I refuse to spent $600-$800 on waders. This is my experience dating back to about the year 2003, prior to this it was neoprene Bare waders.

Bare Cutthroat - Best breathable in its time, think I paid around $300.00 They got stolen ( very disappointing as I think they would have lasted) so replaced them with:
Another Bare product - leaked within a year, got a store credit and moved into a:
Wright and Mcgill wader: cant say these were much better as they leaked pretty much with in the first year as well, so tried another product from:
Patagonia - I think these ran in the neighborhood of $300 but also developed a leak with in 2 years. My buddies knew this and I was having a 40th birthday so they all pitched in for a pair of:
Simms Freestone - I think I toughed it out for 3 years, the last one with a wet leg when wading a certain depth before cheeping out and buying the:
Frogg Togg Sierra wader- purchased online for $130 American, year 3 now and looking to repair or replace

If I replace I will buy another set of Froggs, cheaper than any other model with the same results.
For the record I am not easy on my waders. I don't fish 3-7 days a week but feel I put on enough miles when I do to amount to 3 days a week. They do get used and abused in all applications of fishing. 

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 09:51:20 AM »

essyoo I have sent you a PM

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 10:22:29 AM »

Never quite understood why people reply on a thread about budget priced waders with suggestion to buy Simms G4s. What part of "budget waders" do you guys not understand?

Essyoo, go with these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Frogg-Toggs-Breathable-Stockingfoot-Waders/dp/B00FN94LLC/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=frogg+toggs+pilot+2+waders&qid=1573669118&sr=8-5

You can't go wrong. I'm on my third season with them and they are still going strong. I'm a weekend warrior and don't do much bushwhacking, but these waders have proved themselves and even a few of my buddies have bought them after they've seen how good they were to me.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 10:56:56 AM »

I have owned them all in the low to mid price range. I refuse to spent $600-$800 on waders. This is my experience dating back to about the year 2003, prior to this it was neoprene Bare waders.

Bare Cutthroat - Best breathable in its time, think I paid around $300.00 They got stolen ( very disappointing as I think they would have lasted) so replaced them with:
Another Bare product - leaked within a year, got a store credit and moved into a:
Wright and Mcgill wader: cant say these were much better as they leaked pretty much with in the first year as well, so tried another product from:
Patagonia - I think these ran in the neighborhood of $300 but also developed a leak with in 2 years. My buddies knew this and I was having a 40th birthday so they all pitched in for a pair of:
Simms Freestone - I think I toughed it out for 3 years, the last one with a wet leg when wading a certain depth before cheeping out and buying the:
Frogg Togg Sierra wader- purchased online for $130 American, year 3 now and looking to repair or replace

If I replace I will buy another set of Froggs, cheaper than any other model with the same results.
For the record I am not easy on my waders. I don't fish 3-7 days a week but feel I put on enough miles when I do to amount to 3 days a week. They do get used and abused in all applications of fishing.
All that money you spent on cheap waders would have been enough to buy the best Simms G4’s and lasted longer. Just a thought.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 10:58:23 AM »

milo, Amazon gives a range of prices for the Frogg Toggs Pilot II Breathable Stockingfoot Chest Wader as follows: CDN$ 185.45 - CDN$ 334.37

What did you get yours for, if you don't mind me asking?