Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ....l hate your guts...  (Read 22285 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: ....l hate your guts...
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 08:33:08 PM »

There is nothing wrong with using beads or yarn but I don’t see how it’s any different then using roe.

I don’t think a bait ban would result in any less pressure or any increase in survival.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 08:35:42 PM »

I also wanted mention that the Thompson was the last river with a summer run of steelhead to get a bait ban. So much for it being "spearheaded by people with their own personal agenda and it wasn’t the well being of the fish."
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2019, 08:42:42 PM »

There is nothing wrong with using beads or yarn but I don’t see how it’s any different then using roe.

I don’t think a bait ban would result in any less pressure or any increase in survival.

beads are usually rigged to avoid deep hooking - often the fish is hooked outside the mouth... so I don't think your contention is correct.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 08:56:53 PM »

beads are usually rigged to avoid deep hooking - often the fish is hooked outside the mouth... so I don't think your contention is correct.

Exactly

avid angler

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2019, 09:05:41 PM »

I also wanted mention that the Thompson was the last river with a summer run of steelhead to get a bait ban. So much for it being "spearheaded by people with their own personal agenda and it wasn’t the well being of the fish."

Yes it was. I’m not even opposed to the bait ban. Im opposed to the effort that went into it when the entire community of Thompson river anglers should have been fighting the chum roe fishery. Not to mention it was the perfect scapegoat for dfo to be like “hey look at the new gear restrictions we implemented, see we’re doing something, we care!”

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2019, 07:50:14 AM »

What's wrong with beading? I'm looking into it more and more. Sounds like a good artificial option.
.........aren't most beads made of plastic?......thought that was something we were trying to get out of the  water...as well as lead but that's another can of worms....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2019, 09:05:04 AM »

...don't get me started on worms and worm cans!  >:( :o

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2019, 11:52:39 AM »

Bravo Bravo Bravo! Spoon man. The most intelligent post I have seen on here in a very long time.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2019, 08:35:13 PM »

.........aren't most beads made of plastic?......thought that was something we were trying to get out of the  water...as well as lead but that's another can of worms....

What about fishing line?
Let's not even go there...

Maybe we should just do the right thing: stop fishing altogether.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2019, 08:52:22 PM »

What about rubber/plastic particles from tire and brake wear on your vehicles, or synthetic fibres from your clothes, which end up as microplastic in our waterways and oceans?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2019, 09:06:43 PM »

yeah the list effecting salmon is endless

Break dust has been shown to be very bad for coho. Apparently chum are more resistant to it.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2017/10/20/we-have-to-act-now-how-car-pollution-is-causing-the-rapid-die-off-of-this-salmon/%3foutputType=amp
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:48:18 PM by wildmanyeah »

Roderick

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2019, 11:03:21 PM »

It seems obvious that there are some fishermen that don't like using bait.  It's a personal choice that often comes from years of fishing.  Often these fishermen started off as children with bobber and worm and went on from there to more sophisticated set-ups.  Why these fishermen would want to prevent other less experienced fishermen from going through the same evolution that they did is beyond me. 

Then there is the question of why fishermen that strictly fish artificials hate, and yes hate is the word, bait fishermen.  I personally use whatever works best but I have heard stories.  One fly fisherman told me how frustrated he was when he had been fishing a pool for over an hour with no bites and someone came and got fish right away on roe.  He was really upset. But there was no way he would consider switching to bait simply because it works. 

And bait does work.  It must be hard to watch as the hordes of newbies catch fish on bait while you get nothing but the satisfaction of knowing that you are more evolved then them. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2019, 09:15:27 AM »

this fall fly fishing for coho  I out fished both bait anglers and lure chuckers by rates of 2 and 3 to 1 at times. It wasn't the Vedder. The fish were mostly wild. It's not all about having a hooked rigged with something that stinks.

Has anyone read the last post I put on the "Wasting fish only for roe." thread: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=43131.0

That thread seemed to start this off. In the end I believe it was a red herring based on a misinterpretation of "the evidence". During that discussion I somewhat tongue in cheek suggested if the situation was so bad perhaps we should ban roe.

Bait anglers underestimate the damage bait can do but then I think that's true for all forms of angling and anglers. On the same stream I referenced above some years back I spent half a day fishing. When I started I was the only angler. Trekking back upstream to the car, I counted 3 fish a couple of trout and a coho jack slowly drifting belly up on the surface. I hadn't seen any other anglers before this. When I got to a popular spot there was a guy float fishing roe. He was all excited about what a great day he was having. He said he had just released a 10lb coho doe and had released some number of cutthroat and jacks. I felt like chewing him out but I just said enjoy your day and walked on. He wasn't doing anything wrong legally. He may not have been aware those fish subsequently died. I don't know how many fish I release die but I know some do. I hope everyone tries to keep that number as low as possible.

Robert_G

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2019, 01:54:08 PM »

Roe ban on the Thompson came too late. Had it been implemented some 20 years ago, it may have made a difference.

The Thompson Steelhead are gone because of the years of abuse by the Fall Chum Roe Gillnet Fishery in Area 29 - E (and Area 29 - D to a lesser extent ) of the Lower Fraser River....the end...period...not sure why people still debate this....
If you think otherwise, you have your head buried in the sand.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2019, 02:42:57 PM »

The Thompson Steelhead are gone because of the years of abuse by the Fall Chum Roe Gillnet Fishery in Area 29 - E (and Area 29 - D to a lesser extent ) of the Lower Fraser River....the end...period...not sure why people still debate this....
If you think otherwise, you have your head buried in the sand.
I’ve learned to respect your single mindedness, Robert, and your absolute confidence in your singular grasp of the truth.

It’s reported that the Thompson steelhead started to decline in the 1990’s. When did the Fraser chum gillnet fishery begin?