Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ....l hate your guts...  (Read 22341 times)

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
....l hate your guts...
« on: November 09, 2019, 10:21:12 AM »

.....was holding off but time to rant...two different threads that end up bashing the use of roe...calls for roe bans on hatchery harvest rivers....descriptions of  roe fishers that paint a picture of  unskilled unibrow knuckledraggers.....all self righteous drivel that smells of eliteism ...new laws to address the lack of compliance or enforcement of existing ones only impact those that follow the existing rules....a good example would be the closing of parking areas because of garbage dumping or break ins......if you don't like roe,don't use it....your game,your rules..... curing and presenting roe is just as satisfying as tying and fishing a fly ,building a spinner etc....roe does work but is not like using a net or dynamite...washed a lot of roe only to have it ignored....its  only one tool in a box full of others that are needed to be a successful angler.....even if it was the silver bullet and was used to fill somebody's freezer, as long as its within the existing rules that's their busines ,mind your own.....time and effort would be better spent elsewhere on things that benefit the fishery  and all users.......
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: ....l hate your guts...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 11:23:21 AM »

Well said

ae_9

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 12:37:07 PM »

I've never even caught a fish on roe  :(

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 12:43:40 PM »

....l hate your guts...
I have about 3lbs in the fridge, but now that I know you are not interested...
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

avid angler

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 01:36:05 PM »

A roe ban wouldn’t change salmon and steelhead populations for better or worse. Look how good the Thompson river bait ban worked to save those fish... You hit the nail on the head on this.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 03:25:48 PM »

A roe ban wouldn’t change salmon and steelhead populations for better or worse. Look how good the Thompson river bait ban worked to save those fish... You hit the nail on the head on this.

Roe ban on the Thompson came too late. Had it been implemented some 20 years ago, it may have made a difference.
Either way, the writing is on the wall...the last wild salmon and steelhead are to be caught in the next decade, after that it will only be hatchery fish followed by farmed fish.

avid angler

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 03:47:52 PM »

I would love to hear about your first hand experience and Thompson steelhead lmao

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 04:15:54 PM »

I would love to hear about your first hand experience and Thompson steelhead lmao
Sadly, I came to Canada when T. Steelhead we're already severely compromised. I made a deliberate choice not to fish for them at all due to conservation issues. As I evolve as an angler,  I'm extending that philosophy to all fisheries. If I can't keep any because they are closed to retention, I'd rather not target them at all. I fish only when there's a reasonable chance to catch something I can kill. That's why I gave up sturgeon fishing altogether even though it was a lot of fun. Times change...and I try to adapt to them while minimizing my impact.
LMAO back!

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 04:26:15 PM »

As I evolve as an angler,  I'm extending that philosophy to all fisheries. If I can't keep any because they are closed to retention, I'd rather not target them at all.

That's a viewpoint that is only earned through experience. It's a good place to be, philosophically speaking, and I hope others find the same path.

96XJ

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 06:24:07 PM »

That's a viewpoint that is only earned through experience. It's a good place to be, philosophically speaking, and I hope others find the same path.

I agree with this philosophy as well , not living in the lower mainland I had time booked to head to the Stave for some Chum fishing a couple of weeks ago , I did it last year and had a couple of good days , but with the state of the Chum this year I decided to stay home and leave them alone

avid angler

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 06:35:09 PM »

Sadly, I came to Canada when T. Steelhead we're already severely compromised. I made a deliberate choice not to fish for them at all due to conservation issues. As I evolve as an angler,  I'm extending that philosophy to all fisheries. If I can't keep any because they are closed to retention, I'd rather not target them at all. I fish only when there's a reasonable chance to catch something I can kill. That's why I gave up sturgeon fishing altogether even though it was a lot of fun. Times change...and I try to adapt to them while minimizing my impact.
LMAO back!

I respect your but your personal philosophy and ethics but I’m sorry I don’t feel you have the first hand experience with those fish or that fishery to say that a tackle restriction could make a difference. The ministry regularly hands out bait permits for stock assessment, brood stock collecting, fish relocation etc. If bait was killing them it wouldn’t be a thing. Not to mention if bait killed adult steelhead there wouldn’t be a Chilliwack River steelhead population. The Thompson river bait ban was spearheaded by people with their own personal agenda and it wasn’t the well being of the fish. They believed getting bait out of the water would make it easier for them to catch more fish. That didn’t exactly go as planned...

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 06:50:25 PM »

Bait ban will offer various fishing opportunity. probably not so many congregated fisherman.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 06:55:17 PM »

when folks talk about bait, roe and mortality rates there is a lot of mixing of apples & oranges. Trying to equate brood stock and similar collections, mort rates for Chilliwack steelhead and Thompson steelhead (let alone coho etc) is trying to equate things that just don't match. Brood stock collections invariably involve the best of the best as far as fish handling practices. Nobody is holding those fish up for hero shots etc.  Likewise there is a big fish for effort concern. It involves public funds in those cases.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 07:27:25 PM »

A bait ban will just result in people beading.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 07:59:22 PM »

A bait ban will just result in people beading.

What's wrong with beading? I'm looking into it more and more. Sounds like a good artificial option.