Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freds Custom Tackle selling fresh chum roe  (Read 21340 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Re: Freds Custom Tackle selling fresh chum roe
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 01:38:31 PM »

With Fred in Cabo perhaps it was a employee posting the ad?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 05:59:46 PM »

Maybe the roe came from Alaska?

Oolichans have been shut down on the Fraser for years and there are Oolichans for sale every year but they dont come from the Fraser.

Wow,what a witch hunt.lol

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 06:26:10 PM »

test catches are sold    also see. FN1101-Amendment to FN1089 -Communal Sale Fishery - Salmon and Groundfish: Integrated Hook and Line - Five Nations - Fishery Re-opening   maybe from here.

avid angler

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 06:49:20 PM »

All possible but also unlikely considering it’s advertised as being fresh. The test fishery roe goes to Bruce’s market where it’s sold for more money then Freds was asking. So I doubt it. If it was pre frozen and could have been from anywhere and there wouldn’t be an issue.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2019, 08:12:57 PM »

Thompson steelhead are a real soft spot for a lot of people. Those are the people who care. I spend thousands in freds every year and they lost my business over this.

Grow up. Honestly. There are so many streams, rivers, creeks and sloughs in the Fraser watershed that have lost entire runs of salmon and Steel already. BC Hydro and others ( yep fishermen included ) that have made some streams void of the special genetic stain of fish that once called these places home. I'm supposed to place a greater importance on one type of fish from a particular place and put it on a pedestal? Not likely. They're all important.

This is you're one and only reason to not shop at Fred's? Next time you flick the power on in your home, think of all the dead fry in a stream somewhere because an IPP decided to stock the holding pond.

avid angler

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2019, 08:55:31 PM »

Grow up. Honestly. There are so many streams, rivers, creeks and sloughs in the Fraser watershed that have lost entire runs of salmon and Steel already. BC Hydro and others ( yep fishermen included ) that have made some streams void of the special genetic stain of fish that once called these places home. I'm supposed to place a greater importance on one type of fish from a particular place and put it on a pedestal? Not likely. They're all important.

This is you're one and only reason to not shop at Fred's? Next time you flick the power on in your home, think of all the dead fry in a stream somewhere because an IPP decided to stock the holding pond.

There is plenty of people who feel the same way as me about the current situation. Everyone has the right to decide what they feel is right and wrong and choose where they shop and why. This isn’t the only reason I’m making this choice but it is the nail in the coffin for me. My morals tell me that wiping out IFS, for a chum net fishery is wrong. So I am choosing not to support a business that I believe supported this practice.

People boycott businesses all the time for personal reasons. Someone might stop going to restaurants they received bad service from, A small business owner who lost their income because a strip mall opened up in their town and took their clients might choose not to shop at that strip mall.. Maybe someone won’t support a store because their prejudice against their sexual orientation or maybe they treat animals inhumanly.. You going to tell them to grow up as well?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2019, 09:30:02 PM »

Fred supporting this practice? Seriously?

Fred and I sit together at the same table for hours each month squeezing out ideas to better this community including ways to cut back the in-river net fisheries. What a bloody insult.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2019, 10:19:18 PM »

Fred supporting this practice? Seriously?

Fred and I sit together at the same table for hours each month squeezing out ideas to better this community including ways to cut back the in-river net fisheries. What a bloody insult.

AA is not the only wondering wtf is going on with this situation. There have been multiple posts by Fraser valley fishing addicts Facebook page and many of the members there also wondering after trying to make direct inquiries on this. The posts on freds page has been deleted as well as multiple posts on FVFA page.

I don’t understand how hard it would of been to simply say we get our fresh uncured chum roe from commercially validating landings or something to that order.

The whole new craze for sturgeon bait is getting to be a bit out of control and starting to be a black sport on the recreational industry.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2019, 10:23:18 PM »

Big deal. Go find out where the roe is coming from by keep asking them if you really want to know. Personally I couldn't care less if AA or anyone else decide to boycott a store. Go for it. When good deals come around, everyone will jump off the wagon and rush back.

It's the last statement that I have a problem with. Concerned about IFS? Get off your butt and do something about it instead of bitching about someone who actually goes out of his way to make a difference.

avid angler

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2019, 11:05:34 PM »

Rodney I like many have written to politicians, signed and shared petitions, donated money to the steelhead society. But beyond that it’s hard for the average joe that doesn’t have deep ties to the industry to find ways to volunteer there time and money. Are there meetings the general public can sit in on? Is there somewhere online we can find lists of fishery related events that require volunteers?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2019, 11:09:50 PM »

I don't think Fred would risk his reputation by dealing with unethically or illegally sourced roe.
What really surprises me is that he keeps selling chum roe at all, given the dire situation with their numbers.
In his place, I'd push artificials over roe - I'm sure he makes much, much more money on spoons, spinners, jigs, plastics, flies, and so on than on bags of roe, cured or not.

I was on the Squamish, Mamquam and Cheakamus today.
Where a few years back you couldn't wade the river without being bumped by chum salmon, it is ghost town this fall. :(

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2019, 07:26:13 AM »

Rodney I like many have written to politicians, signed and shared petitions, donated money to the steelhead society. But beyond that it’s hard for the average joe that doesn’t have deep ties to the industry to find ways to volunteer there time and money. Are there meetings the general public can sit in on? Is there somewhere online we can find lists of fishery related events that require volunteers?
X2. What else can we do?

dobrolub

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2019, 07:44:56 AM »

it's the system that fails you. every time you vote you legitimize the system. doesn't matter who you vote for. they all act within their constraints. to break free from the constraints don't give credit where it does not belong.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2019, 07:50:10 AM »

it's the system that fails you. every time you vote you legitimize the system. doesn't matter who you vote for. they all act within their constraints. to break free from the constraints don't give credit where it does not belong.

BOOM !

Old Blue

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2019, 10:24:55 AM »

So you're saying not to vote???

Did you follow the whole deal with J Wilkinson the Fisheries Minister/N Van MP and a few key members of the local fishery such as Highwater Tackle, Bon Chovy and Pacific Angler (many others too) trying to draw attention to the mismanagement?  Even followed by Gibbs Delta later on trying to focus voters attention close to the election.

Defeat of the Fisheries Minister would have sent a strong message to the PM how much people care about the situation but unfortunately that wasn't the case.  The current Liberals in power have zero interests in our passion, no mater how much we organise and protest it will have any consequence upon them until key members of the party are removed from office.