Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freds Custom Tackle selling fresh chum roe  (Read 21601 times)

mikeyman

Re: Freds Custom Tackle selling fresh chum roe
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2019, 07:13:49 PM »

I think Berry's brought chum roe in from other commercial fisheries outside Fraser in past years and not exactly at a discount from what I can understand. Just saying all the speculation without the facts cause bunch of bull cupcakes. Pretty sure a reputable business wouldn't risk doing something illigal. Prob pulled add cause they freakin ran out and didn't want all the my smelly socks like what's posted above.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 07:15:37 PM by mikeyman »

mikeyman

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2019, 07:16:45 PM »

I love how my post gets edited for swear words. Lol

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2019, 07:44:28 PM »

As someone who has often been fishing the LML rivers, southern interior lakes and the Squamish and it's tribs and even the chuck in the last two decades, the above statement is hard to believe. My first hand observation is that the number of anglers everywhere in our region has exploded in recent years.
Why do people (including you Rod) keep saying that the number of recreational anglers' is shrinking?
Is that based on the number of licenses sold?
If so, then a helluva lot of people are fishing without a license, i.e. illegally.

I know for a fact that salt water fishers have shrunk. And I think freshwater salmon fisheries have also declined or remained flat.

It’s when you take it is participating % by total population you see the real big declines.

Less and less of the % of the populating is hunting or fishing and there
For there is less and less incentive for politicians to care.

I know quite a few people also just fished the Fraser for salmon and did not bother with the trebs in the fall.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:04:43 PM by wildmanyeah »

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2019, 08:33:15 PM »

My problem with this discussion isn't that the source of the roe has not been disclosed. I didn't see the post, I don't know what were said, and I don't know the answers, so I can't and am not going to comment on it. Call the store to find out. My problem is this misinformation being spread about Fred only in it for the personal financial gain, when it is in fact the complete opposite. If you go to Fred and mention that you have an event that needs support, the answer is always yes and there's always a donation. The river cleanups get prizes, Wally Hall Jr Memorial Derby gets prizes, staff hours to run it at the store, last year he puts in $1000 so I could run "Chilliwack's All About Fishing", youth fishing program, other smaller derbies, donating the store space after hours for meetings, the list goes on.... Quit judging people by rumours and what you are perceiving without talking to them.
X2
Thanks for that Rodney.  Fred is a good man.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:35:36 PM by bigsnag »
It ain't the roe bro'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2019, 08:50:10 PM »

As someone who has often been fishing the LML rivers, southern interior lakes and the Squamish and it's tribs and even the chuck in the last two decades, the above statement is hard to believe. My first hand observation is that the number of anglers everywhere in our region has exploded in recent years.
Why do people (including you Rod) keep saying that the number of recreational anglers' is shrinking?
Is that based on the number of licenses sold?
If so, then a helluva lot of people are fishing without a license, i.e. illegally.

Interesting that within the last month or so I read Bob Hooton's Days of River Past. He obviously, had access to archived angling stats and said there were more steelhead anglers in the Vancouver, Lower Mainland back in the 60s and into the 70s than there is now. However most angling stats indicate more fish are being caught ...hmm?

According to old info from StatsCan, the number of angling licenses sold in Canada between 1995 and 2005 dropped by 25%. Last I heard that trend had more or less reversed itself. FFSBC reported in 2012 that the number of active anglers in BC rose by 1% a year between 2005 and 2010. Another report says that in the 90s license sales averaged 400,000 while in 2010 sales were 287,000.

These drops are surprising given the increase in population. Today they must be at least 2.5 times the people living in the GVRD and Fraser Valley than in 1970.

Most of those anglers are likely casual anglers and not likely prone to be politically active on angling issues. Overall people who fish are a diverse group and don't seem to share much in the way of political and social values beyond they like to fish. That's may be why they are
so hard to organize.

I think telling people to teach others to fish, to recruit new anglers sounds nice, I am sure there are benefits but overall when it comes from the 'industry', tackle makers, guides, lodge owners, tackle shops etc, I think there is a fair bit of self interest in that advice.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/16-002-x/2008002/article/10622-eng.htm

http://www.missioncreek.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2012-Freshwater-Angling-and-the-BC-Economy.pdf

https://obwb.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Freshwater_Sport_Fishing_in_British_Columbia_Sending_Ripples_through_the_Provincial_Economy.pdf
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:52:21 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2019, 08:58:18 PM »

Milo, it's based on freshwater angling licence sales, which have been on the decline in the past three years.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2019, 10:02:10 PM »

given all the closures - summer closures on the Island, the Fraser, the Skeena etc - it can't be a surprise.

While I don't believe it's the only cause, many guys are saying the intolerable crowding on some local streams is due to the closure of the Pink and October bar fishing on the lower Fraser.

A friend of mine from out of town asked me why we aren't considering allocating licenses and fishing days salmon & steelhead streams  on a lottery basis like they do for hunting?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2019, 03:00:31 PM »

Milo, it's based on freshwater angling licence sales, which have been on the decline in the past three years.

Thanks Rod - that was my assumption.
However, I have trouble corresponding that decrease in license sales to the perceived number of anglers on rivers and lakes I frequent (and I barely fish the Vedder anymore).
If I'd been asked, I could have sworn that there are many more people fishing today than a decade or two ago.

GordJ

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2019, 04:00:31 PM »

I would guess that the wildfires have had a huge impact on the numbers. Anaheim, Nimpo, Puntzi and Sheridan alone have probably taken enough of a hit by themselves to cause a drop in licences that would be noticeable. Those families that went every year are finding other things to do.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2019, 04:56:34 PM »

telling us there has been a decline doesn't tell us anything of the magnitude of the decline.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2019, 08:45:44 AM »

Is there a separate tally of salmon conservation surcharges paid?  And steelhead?  Like maybe there are less people fishing for trout and other gamefish, but more fishing for salmon and steelhead in our rivers?  Just a thought.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2019, 06:05:10 PM »

Does Fishing with Rod get boycotted for supporting Fred's Custom Tackle? :D

Ways to help IFS and other fishery challenges...

- Join an established organization like the Steelhead Society, Fraser Valley Salmon Society, Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance. Attend meetings, either the AGM or participate in smaller director meetings and contribute your ideas.

- Participate in the SFAC, even just sitting there to gather information.

- Get more people into fishing. This group is lacking numbers and continue to shrink. We are not significant enough to have an impact at the political platforms.

- Support events like the Wally Hall Jr Memorial Derby, Steelhead Society's fundraiser, Vedder River Cleanup, I need help for "Chilliwack's All About Fishing" on March 14th next year.

- Continuously make IFS an issue with your local MP. Once conversations on these issues at the parliament, they no longer are important.

My problem with this discussion isn't that the source of the roe has not been disclosed. I didn't see the post, I don't know what were said, and I don't know the answers, so I can't and am not going to comment on it. Call the store to find out. My problem is this misinformation being spread about Fred only in it for the personal financial gain, when it is in fact the complete opposite. If you go to Fred and mention that you have an event that needs support, the answer is always yes and there's always a donation. The river cleanups get prizes, Wally Hall Jr Memorial Derby gets prizes, staff hours to run it at the store, last year he puts in $1000 so I could run "Chilliwack's All About Fishing", youth fishing program, other smaller derbies, donating the store space after hours for meetings, the list goes on.... Quit judging people by rumours and what you are perceiving without talking to them.
I have known Fred for a long time as he gave so much of his time when we started the Fraser Valley Salmon Society together and he still does give freely to our fish stocks. Without him we would have never got the FVSS off the ground.We got a lot of fishing opportunities due to the work of the FVSS and Fred.

At that time I hated public speaking but Fred was excellent and I was not a very knowlegable fisher in those days. Some still call me a Beak, the Master for 1 and things worse.lolI

Also when I was running a Rec Hockey League and ran a team as well and it was when Fred came to our team I made him Captain as I knew he was a leader in many aspects. We had many good times together and even won a championship. I see that team picture in my room now, we looked a little younger back in 1979. ;D

I personally know Fred cares for our salmon and sturgeon stocks. Sure he has a buisness related to them but he puts their welfare of the fish first.

I donot know all the facts to this topic but I had to type my thoughts about Fred that I call a true and valued friend.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2019, 06:48:46 PM »

Fred’s reputation speaks for itself your either a fan or not.

The topic however is did the store buy roe from First Nations and it is still an unanswered question.

It probably does not matter now as the question has been left open for long enough that the doubt is out their.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2019, 07:14:25 PM »

Maybe they were just saying it was fresh trying to get rid of some old sheit... pretty hard to speculate without more info.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2019, 07:45:32 PM »

Fred’s reputation speaks for itself your either a fan or not.

The topic however is did the store buy roe from First Nations and it is still an unanswered question.

It probably does not matter now as the question has been left open for long enough that the doubt is out their.

More likely they didn't want to disclose their legal source and have other shops compete.