Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clarification please......ASAP  (Read 9618 times)

Hoop71

Clarification please......ASAP
« on: October 24, 2019, 07:12:05 AM »

I know retention of chum is closed on the Stave but are you able to still fish for them? I am strictly C & R but my interpretation is retention is closed not the fishery itself.

Can anyone confirm?

Cheers

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Clarification please......ASAP
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 07:24:50 AM »

Unless it says no fishing for salmon you can C&R.

Hoop71

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 07:27:04 AM »

Unless it says no fishing for salmon you can C&R.

Thank you Typhoon 👍

Cheers

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 11:03:42 AM »

I just replied to your q on fb and c&p it here so others can read it too.

Yes, you can still practice catch and release during a retention closure. With that said, I’d recommend people do so with moderation because there is still mortality involved. We are having a retention closure because the stock is going to be 300k less spawners than what’s required.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 11:26:15 AM »

Yes, you can still practice catch and release during a retention closure. With that said, I’d recommend people do so with moderation because there is still mortality involved. We are having a retention closure because the stock is going to be 300k less spawners than what’s required.

Good point Rodney.
And to all those who will be practicing C&R, keep your eyes open and make sure to prevent uninformed people from keeping or mistreating fish. Be assertive and most will comply.
If you prefer not to get directly involved with the offending party, at least do the right thing and report the violation, take pics and videos and license plate numbers.

Chum salmon are at the heart of the food chain in many areas of our province. Without them so many things could go wrong that it makes me sick to my stomach to even think about it.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 06:10:05 PM »

👍

I'd suggest that chum not be specifically targeted.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 06:35:49 PM »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 06:38:32 PM by wildmanyeah »

stsfisher

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 07:14:09 PM »

They still open chum harvest. What a shame. If the chum run did not bounce back four years later, it would be cristal clear who is responsible

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 07:24:44 PM »

WATCH OUT !

I was on the Stave today. I launched in Mission and drove up the Stave only to find log booms blocking the channel. It was completely blocked off. The only way in was to rip thru some seriously skinny water. Its challenging because of all the sunken logs in the water. Just be careful if you plan on boating in.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 07:58:38 PM »

Went out on the Vedder today only made a few casts as people were in where I wanted to fish so left to do other chores at home after being a way for a week hunting. The 4 boys fishing the run said there was loads of chum, I saw 4 hooked in the few minutes I was there.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 08:33:07 PM »

They still open chum harvest. What a shame. If the chum run did not bounce back four years later, it would be cristal clear who is responsible
I hope you are not referring to FN. If you are, you seriously need to do some reading. Start with this Wikipedia article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coast_Salish_people_and_salmon

Unbelievable

Not really.
After the white man's endless greed polluted their environment and along with climate change depleted salmon stocks, it's only fitting that FNs catch the last ocean-grown salmon. Minister Wilkinson is counting on it, so we can proceed to dam the Fraser and create more salmon farms.

"Recreational" salmon fishing of the future will take place in gigantic "pay to play" pens, not unlike today's pay to play trout ponds. Except we will be baiting the hooks with pellets, not roe.
To be honest, It won't look much different from the Vedder canal a week or so ago. 😯
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 08:51:35 PM by milo »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 09:56:51 PM »

I hope you are not referring to FN. If you are, you seriously need to do some reading. Start with this Wikipedia article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coast_Salish_people_and_salmon

Not really.
After the white man's endless greed polluted their environment and along with climate change depleted salmon stocks, it's only fitting that FNs catch the last ocean-grown salmon. Minister Wilkinson is counting on it, so we can proceed to dam the Fraser and create more salmon farms.

"Recreational" salmon fishing of the future will take place in gigantic "pay to play" pens, not unlike today's pay to play trout ponds. Except we will be baiting the hooks with pellets, not roe.
To be honest, It won't look much different from the Vedder canal a week or so ago. 😯

I think wiki needs to add how important it is for one of the richest bands in canada to sell Chum roe to Asian markets is. The Tswassen band has an age old traditional square hook fishery planned for the 27th. I'm sure they desperately need the money and all those poor folks in Asian need the roe or else they'll starve to death.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 10:39:58 PM »

Yeah, far more important steelhead anglers get chum jam for January. ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 10:41:07 PM »

I think wiki needs to add how important it is for one of the richest bands in canada to sell Chum roe to Asian markets is. The Tswassen band has an age old traditional square hook fishery planned for the 27th. I'm sure they desperately need the money and all those poor folks in Asian need the roe or else they'll starve to death.

The fishery is taking place in the heart of the band's traditional territory. Suck it up, buttercup, and direct your vitriol at the true culprit: consumerism and the ever growing greed for material possessions and profit - concepts that did not exist among the FN before white man brought it to them.