Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clarification please......ASAP  (Read 9615 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Clarification please......ASAP
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2019, 08:06:33 AM »

'Dano', you have an admirable inability to say in close to 700 words which most reasonable people can say in two.

cheers.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2019, 01:40:10 PM »

'Dano', you have an admirable inability to say in close to 700 words which most reasonable people can say in two.

cheers.

While Dano's verbosity is legendary on several fora, I have to say I'm disappointed Ralph didn't take the time to reply.

I'm only going to add that I can't understand why you, Dano, are trying to illustrate your point using Thomas King, who is as disconnected from FN life in BC and the salmon plight as his Greek and German ancestors are. Not cool trying to support your point using a mixed race American Cherokee who spent his life capitalizing big time on his half-native ancestry. Of course he's not the indian I have in mind. Neither is the one stereotyped in early XX century Hollywood movies. The Indian I have in mind is the BC native whom Canada has sistematically failed decade after decade, century after century, especially when it comes to salmon management and the benefits thereof, not to mention land, hydro, minerals, fossil fuels, timber...the list goes on.
And that tobacco parallel you drew...I know you meant it tongue-in-cheek, but it's childish to even bring it up. No native held a knife to the throat of a colonizer and forced him to smoke. The same cannot be said when we talk about what was imposed on natives, and the methods that were used, ranging from lies and deception to brutal force and murder.
But life is too short to spend it discussing issues like this online, especially since I don't think I'm qualified. I do not have a degree in FNs and indigenous studies. I only have a couple of full status friends who live on LML reserves. "High friends in low places" as they like to say. And their current plight is real.
Hopefully, future governments will do a better job at compensating our natives for all that has been taken from and done to them, and in doing so creating real opportunities for all Canadians, not just a handful of well-connected investors and industrials, often living many thousands of miles away from our shores.
End of edit and rant.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 03:57:19 PM by milo »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2019, 01:49:09 PM »

Sorry Milo, I didn't see there was anything that required a  further reply from me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 02:13:42 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DanTfisherman

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2019, 10:25:56 PM »

Thomas King is a well respected, First Nations Canadian who also has American heritage.  He has lived in Guelph Ontario for years where he has taught at the local university.  While running for the NDP in one Federal Election, he has also been nominated for and won numerous awards.  One of these being the Governor General's award.  King has also been recognized with the Order of Canada for the work he has done to to draw attention to and promote Indigenous issues through his writing.  My take is if those in the aboriginal community took exception as to who he is or how he presents himself or aboriginal people, they would have done this in a very vocal way. 

To trivialize and disrespect what he and other Indigenous peoples living in Canada value and see as making them aboriginal, because they do not fit your narrow definition as to "the Indian you think they should be" is judgemental and part of a larger problem within Canada.

Is someone who is Indigenous less of an "Indian" because they do not have status?
Is someone who is Indigenous less of an "Indian" because they do not live on a reserve?
Is someone who is Indigenous less of an "Indian" because they are successful?
Is someone who is of mixed blood not to be recognized as being Indigenous?
Is someone not to be recognized as indigenous because of who they marry?

King's true message in his book is one of Indigenous resilience and hope, something that encompasses all aboriginal peoples, regardless as how you or others may wish to portray their identity to be.  I think members who may be Indigenous, or those who read through may take exception to your characterization as to who they must be to be a real "Indian".

Ralph, it seems when you make a post, but then do not want to get involved in something anymore and wish it to go away, the person you do not agree with or like what they have to say becomes "a Straw Man argument" and you leave it at that.  Other members are free to judge where I am at in the flow of things.  To me, it seems the evolution of the thread has led to where we are.  In actuality, the original thread revolved around Retention of Chum on the Stave river, and somehow, de-evolved into openings for First Nations, the concept that first nations are bad, and then, a move to state this is caused by the historical greed of non-natives.  Always polarizing and never productive to a true understanding as to who aboriginal people are, and what the true issues really are about.  Many times, I get what you are trying to say.  Unfortunately, the way you state, post and come across never seems to be helpful or productive towards helping to motivate people to try to form a balanced perspective.

Dano

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2019, 11:37:49 PM »

Thank you for the reply Dano. I will do some more reading in light of your comments. Learning is a lifetime process, and my current views are a work in progress.
Cheers, Milo

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2019, 08:09:05 AM »

Congratulations Dan, you reduced you response word count by about 25%. Bless your cheer leading for Thomas King. We are all better people for it I am sure.

To be sure your arguments were strawman arguments. I explained this fully in my earlier post. The comments about FN openings while rec angling is closed is part of predictable trolling whenever these events take place.

The Fraser Chum salmon update issued before the closure made clear these FN openings would take place.  Expected returns of chum salmon are over half a million. That's a concern but a very long way from extinction. A couple of years back returns were at a historic record. Most predictions for salmon abundance in a period of climate change were returns would be highly variable which they now are. Score one for those models predictive abilities.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 03:52:33 PM by RalphH »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2019, 08:20:29 AM »

I'm just glad someone else is arguing with Ralph  for once
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 02:14:16 PM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2019, 03:51:48 PM »

I'm just glad someone else is arguing with Ralph  for once

Your "5 Things First Nations want to see improved in Canada" was very good. thanks