Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36

Author Topic: 2019-2020 NHL Hockey season  (Read 154989 times)

arimaBOATER

Re: 2019-2020 NHL Hockey season
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2019, 10:57:15 PM »

Canucks lose in OT but get a well deserved pt in the standings.
Avs are very good team.
Preds really really surprised me. Guess they are officially in a mini slump. They play in the Bridgestone arena...too many flats or low air on the Preds.

Too many favourite excuses so better go to envelope Z ( alphabet excuses A to Z )
Our team has been hit by the flu bug. We are trying as hard as we can under the circumstances.
Preds lose badly to Black Hawks.
TNA WTH is wrong with your team...get that mic & blast these players at end of periods.  >:(
And Maple Leafs are falling like leafs from a tree. The fall slump.
The pretenders are just bad & it's not the coach.
But Grapes has been canned so fire the TO coach too....fire all coaches which teams are not doing very well.  ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2019, 11:14:39 PM »

So wonder the advisor is so mum these days. Can't blame him really. ;) ;)

arimaBOATER

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2019, 02:58:47 AM »

So wonder the advisor is so mum these days. Can't blame him really. ;) ;)
Leafs advisor is laying low....under the radar.
Scared as h__ to be canned.
Glad ya called him out FA.
I did not want to do it...but as ya started the ball rolling...
FIRE CHRIS the same way they fired Grapes.

TNAngler

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2019, 09:22:35 AM »

Team is definitely in a slump.  PULL YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR NETHER REGIONS!  So frustrating.  They started off strong, gave up a fluke goal, still stayed strong.  Then gave up a bad bounce for another goal.  Ok, we can get through this.  Still playing tough.  End of period.  Going to come out strong on the power play....... no, power play looks meh and then we give up a goal right after.  Then we give up a goal on a lazy back hand from the blue line with nobody proving any type of screen, goalie should have seen it the entire way and yet he looked like a high schooler flailing at it.  Change goalies and stay at 4-0 for a while but then all heck breaks loose.

I still feel we have a strong team.  I still feel if we get in to the playoffs that we will be good and go a long way assuming we play well.  I still think we will make the playoffs as I think we will go on a run at some point.  I just hope it isn't too late by the time they do.  This team is too good to play this bad.  Granted, our third line defense sucks, horribly.  They can't seem to get the puck out of our zone if they are guarded by a wet paper bag.  They can't seem to keep the puck inside our own zone.  So many break aways because of them or turn overs in our zone leading to point blank chances.  Like on Saturday, defense has it, going to skate it out, oh no, guy skating toward me so now I will pass it, except I can't pass it from my backhand so I have to switch it to the other side which takes so long that now the guy is on me.  It gets pinched and then shoved behind the net where the other defenseman tries to get it past the guy pinching on him, and fails.  That guy is able to pass it right to a guy standing 2 feet in front of the net all alone.  GRRRRRRRRRR  I would rather have rookies up.  Yes, they will make some mistakes but at least sometimes they will make a great play.  Now we just have guys up who make mistakes but really have no upside.  Wonder if the expansion draft isn't playing in to this where we don't want to expose some of our rookies as having played too many games.  Hmmm.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2019, 05:49:39 PM »

Team is definitely in a slump.  PULL YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR NETHER REGIONS!  So frustrating.  They started off strong, gave up a fluke goal, still stayed strong.  Then gave up a bad bounce for another goal.  Ok, we can get through this.  Still playing tough.  End of period.  Going to come out strong on the power play....... no, power play looks meh and then we give up a goal right after.  Then we give up a goal on a lazy back hand from the blue line with nobody proving any type of screen, goalie should have seen it the entire way and yet he looked like a high schooler flailing at it.  Change goalies and stay at 4-0 for a while but then all heck breaks loose.

I still feel we have a strong team.  I still feel if we get in to the playoffs that we will be good and go a long way assuming we play well.  I still think we will make the playoffs as I think we will go on a run at some point.  I just hope it isn't too late by the time they do.  This team is too good to play this bad.  Granted, our third line defense sucks, horribly.  They can't seem to get the puck out of our zone if they are guarded by a wet paper bag.  They can't seem to keep the puck inside our own zone.  So many break aways because of them or turn overs in our zone leading to point blank chances.  Like on Saturday, defense has it, going to skate it out, oh no, guy skating toward me so now I will pass it, except I can't pass it from my backhand so I have to switch it to the other side which takes so long that now the guy is on me.  It gets pinched and then shoved behind the net where the other defenseman tries to get it past the guy pinching on him, and fails.  That guy is able to pass it right to a guy standing 2 feet in front of the net all alone.  GRRRRRRRRRR  I would rather have rookies up.  Yes, they will make some mistakes but at least sometimes they will make a great play.  Now we just have guys up who make mistakes but really have no upside.  Wonder if the expansion draft isn't playing in to this where we don't want to expose some of our rookies as having played too many games.  Hmmm.
TNA your a true fan. Ya stick with them in the good times & bad.
But in the word you use can feel your frustration with their play.
Big rookie type mistakes at the major level is unforgivable.

The fans are paying the bills & they expect their $$$ worth.
A close game at least. Maybe the Preds problem is too many Democrats on the team.  ;D
( just joking )
Canucks have played some stinker games lately.
Players get "fat heads"then they go for a fall.
Fans treat these players like royalty so the players walk around like they are movie stars.
The coach has to bring them down to earth. Lose ...you guys are a piece of.....
win & very good boys but you need to improve in these ten areas !!!
That should keep them humble.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:51:11 PM by A-BOATER »

TNAngler

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2019, 06:59:19 AM »

Good article on one of our discussion boards today

https://www.ontheforecheck.com/2019/11/18/20970498/its-time-for-nashville-predators-get-their-act-together-goals-against-losing-streak-coaching-defense

Says much the same thing that I have been saying although also gives stats that indicate that the chances are there, we just aren't capitalizing on them.  Then we are giving up some horrible chances and too many of them are just getting in.  Interesting read if you have time.  And yes, I am a true fan.  We sat through the entire Chicago game and continued to cheer despite it being a horrible game.  We will not leave early, we will not boo.  Doesn't mean we will be happy.  If the talent was young and we were rebuilding and it was a couple years before our window for the cup would open (which is likely where Vancouver is), then that is fine and that sets your expectations.  Preds are in a win now mode.  Our window is now.  We probably have three or four years, maybe a couple more, to win a cup before it is going to be rebuilding time.  Our expectation is a deep playoff run and in one of these years, if not multiple, we bring home a cup.  Our team is definitely not living up to that expectation at this point.  I do feel they will turn it around though and hopefully soon.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2019, 07:54:13 AM »

TNA link ya gave "Come to Jesus moment" is a southern saying.
We love ya but things gotta change or else.....
Learn something new everyday. Never heard that expression in our parts of the world in regards to sports.
The article looks at the stats...
Yes stats tell a lot.
But one game was....49 shots to 19 shots.
Guess who won the game. Ya to make a pt. The team with 19 shots.
& to top it all off out of those 49 shots there were plenty of very very good scoring opportunities.
Namely the goalie was totally on his game.
Proper angles...controlled rebounds no flopping after first save...if going down it was to smother the puck.
Lightning quick glove even when puck was zipping / aimed at top corners...
The team that won got a two on one....& puck hits something (skate/stick. ) & changes direction or other team stays out on the ice too long ( bad line changes ) & it leads to a goal.

4 good chances all game & they get 4 goals. Rest of shots are from blue line area or wrist shots at bad angle.
It's games like that will drive a team crazy.

Vegas Knights has players that come at you in waves...& they get a lot of quality shots.
The speed of the shot is the difference. Vegas really has heat on their shots. ( velocity )

When a team can get lots of offence & have the puck going 90 plus miles per hour ...it either is going to be a great save if the shot is labeled. ( corners or between pads ) or it goes in or again a high speed shot creates rebounds.
Goalie gets hand cuffed or puck bounces off pads or rebounds off his blocker/stick...
These rebounds then get batted in only if the guys are not afraid to swarm the net. Well Vegas players look for rebounds all game long. Consistent.

Fast shot. Rebound comes out in front of net off blocker...2 guys skating in going for the loose puck....
GOAL.
When puck is in deep ...the defence if out 45 secs or more get off the ice & get two new guys out there. Always have either the D men & forwards be 20-40 secs apart on the ice.
This way there are either 2 or 3 guys fresher out on the ice.
Small things & execution skills ...game plan...

One big one as mentioned is the quality of shot taken. Namely speed of shot...location of shot...and going for rebounds if there is one. ( Vegas as mentioned does this all the time )

Kinda like in basketball. Shot taken & off the rim but players nearby to get the rebound & take another nearby shot or slam or dunk the basketball in for 2 pts.
Nothing worse when shooter takes a long shot ( basketball ) & as shot is on it's way to basket his teamates run away from the zone towards their end like as if it 's going to be a basket. Defence goes for rebound with no pressure. Same in hockey ...too many teams do not look for rebounds !!!!!
Get those fast / labelled shots & have your other two teamates looking for rebounds.
Vegas does this all game long !!! 
Get a team that plays in spurts all the time is a losing lazy team. Part of the game they put pressure on...get chances then suddenly ...long parts of the game no chances no offensive pressure..
It takes players that are well conditioned & willing to bust their butt...good transition play.
All the little things ,execution..& hard work..play 60 minutes...play smart...concentration...
Plus players cannot have emotional baggage. Arguing at home or too much booze the night before the game...takes dedication from entire team.
Nashville has to get it together.
Look at the Blues last yr in January..counted out but they got it together. Big Time all the way to the Cup game 7 in Boston. What were the chances of that happening? 1-1000 maybe.

Edit In : Canucks lose 6-1 to Stars.
           : Preds lose 2-1 to Jets.
At least Preds had a close game.
Canucks fell apart in the 3rd.

Well guess who the Canucks play next ...TNA's Nashville Preds.
Both teams going the same direction.....down down down...
Both teams were doing so so good out of the gate this season then WTH happened?????
Both teams losing ...maybe we should switch coaches.
Must of caught Maple Leaf something or other....germ bacteria...
Cure is a good swift boot in the butt to wake them up.
Or home team boos them for 5 minutes when they come on the ice.
It will be hard to get TNA to buy in. He does not believe booing his team.
Know where he's coming from but at least for the Canucks they are just not playing smart or for 60 minutes.
Well TNA which team will show up Thurs.....FA & my team ( Canucks. ) or your team ?
The two guys behind the Canuck bench on Thurs with paper bags over their heads is FA & me A-Boater.
Go Canucks Go kick sand  ( ice snow ) into the Preds faces  ;D
& steal 2 pts. & bragging rights.
Hope Canucks will travel to Toronto & best them too on this now 5 game road trip.
( lost 1st away game tonight ) 

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:29:44 PM by A-BOATER »

TNAngler

« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2019, 07:25:19 AM »

You have never heard of a come to Jesus moment?  Interesting.  Although, suppose it isn't that surprising.  It is a "Get your crap together now or else, you may not get another chance" talk.

Am sorry to see both teams heading down the tube.  We looked better last night.  Allowed a goal on the first shot of the game 18 seconds in to the game which is frustrating.  Then had a bad bounce lead to another.  Then we finally got a bounce to go our way.  We skated hard, had a lot of pressure, a lot of quality shots including a post.  Lot of pucks free in front of the net where if our guy is the one to find it in the two or three seconds of sitting there it is likely a goal but it just never ended up on our sticks.  Sometimes the bounces go that way and then suddenly things will turn around and you will be back to scoring on a couple of those and things are looking rosy.  There were a couple things to fix but overall I was happy with the effort and with the attempts.  Now it is just getting them in the net.

Thursday could go either way but I will be there yelling like always.  Actually, more clapping as I can't yell a lot these days.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2019, 12:24:20 PM »

Puck sitting infront of the Jet net & not banging in the rebounds...
Hitting the post....
Sounds like the Predator Larry Moe & Curly line had too much ice time. 3 Stooges  ;D
Trying to create  "heat" ( know you will not take the bait...at least ya did not in the past ...but ya know I'm not mean spirited ..just in jest/fun. )

Both teams needing a win badly.
Two trains on two tracks going south....& a switch ahead & only one rail...
Canucks will want to derail the Preds & Preds will want to derail the Canucks.
They introduced themselves in the game in Vancouver & now it's time to fight for 2pts & a W.
Should be hard skating & physical at times.
Your voice is giving out ya say...or is it the kidney stones so ya can't yell or ya feel pain.
Well even Rick Flair voice gave out & his Hoooooooo was not as loud as he got older.
So ya clap away.
Really should be a good game. Can't wait.
Let me end this with ....how's the Leafs doing. To a lot of Canadians...Canada's team.
Hope they win the Stanley Cup one day.....( like in 100 yrs time 2119 )

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2019, 02:53:32 PM »

Babcock fired as coach of the Maple Leaves. Back to square one. Tough to be a Leaf fan.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2019, 05:47:20 PM »

Babcock fired as coach of the Maple Leaves. Back to square one. Tough to be a Leaf fan.
Yes was on the road trip and I had to be the deciding vote to make the change as tough as it was. The cup is now ours.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2019, 06:31:10 PM »

Yes was on the road trip and I had to be the deciding vote to make the change as tough as it was. The cup is now ours.
Wow --- heard it here on FWR Sport Chat. 6:27 pm.
Tv sports comes up about 6:50.

Chris Gadsden for head coach & Rodney for assistant coach.
Toronto wins whole team gets to go fishing rain or shine snow or ice the day after !!!
Hopefully most of Leaf players like sports fishing.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2019, 07:40:12 PM »

What would expect from a General Manager named Dufus ? ;D

arimaBOATER

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2019, 02:30:54 AM »

What would expect from a General Manager named Dufus ? ;D
;D ;D ;D
What what happens if replacement coach gets even worst results?
As it happens maybe Preds & Canucks head coaches are on thin ice.
( according to Chris this firing will bring the Cup to TO so he must have some inside news that the new man behind the bench is a miracle worker.)

We shall see in the next few games how the Leafs Preds & Canucks do.

TNAngler

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2019, 07:19:10 AM »

Yeah, two teams heading for a head on collision tonight.  Really hoping it is a good battle of two teams desperate for a win, not two teams that are doing all they can to lose, only to be thwarted by one upsmanship by the other team.  But, if you want heat....

THAT'S ONE, THAT'S TWO, THANK YOU CANUCKS (since I don't know which goalie will play yet), MAY WE HAVE ANOTHER.  HE SHOOTS.  HE SCORES. YOU SUCK!!!!!!!  CANUCKS.  CANUCKS.  YOU SUCK.  IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT.  IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT.

There, do you feel better? :)

As for my voice, I am the king of strange medical issues.  I have a stretched uvula.  It is the little thing that dangles down at the back of your throat.  I woke up one day a couple months ago and instead of being 1/4 to a 1/2 inch long, it is about 1 1/2 inches or maybe 2 inches long.  It is easily irritated and causes me to have a sore throat if I cheer, sing, or even talk a lot and then I end up coughing which makes it even more sore.  I go in for surgery Wednesday to have it cut down to a normal size.  Looking forward to not having that issue but doctor said I am going to hate him for 2 weeks after the surgery.

Wonder if TO will get the "new coach" bump that some teams get where the players are suddenly more inspired and play hard.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36