Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some people  (Read 10308 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Some people
« on: September 07, 2019, 10:23:29 AM »

If you're familiar with this area ( Sumas Fraser confluence ) you can clearly see this guy iz fishing past the boundry and in the Fraser ( technically). I see this all the time when I'm oit there. Even Coho season last year. It's never enforced. DFO knows. I called them during the week. I'm not the only one who calls. It's just ridiculous

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2GGfQZhqGK/?igshid=13qa4u0rwpd0x
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 10:35:19 AM by Hike_and_fish »

buck

Re: Some people
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 11:18:44 AM »

No boundary signs, no enforcement.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 11:36:36 AM »

No boundary signs, no enforcement.

There is a sign. As well as a clear indication as to where you are allowed to fish. It says in the regs 100 meters from the Fraser.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 11:59:07 AM »

I know the boundary sign on the north side has been taken off the pole and is laying on the ground. I took my canoe out there yesterday and saw probably 15 boats between the boundary markers and the fraser. I doubt dfo will enforce it.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 12:05:51 PM »

I know the boundary sign on the north side has been taken off the pole and is laying on the ground. I took my canoe out there yesterday and saw probably 15 boats between the boundary markers and the fraser. I doubt dfo will enforce it.

They wont. They didnt last year. The signs are placed in the wrong place according to the 100 meter rule. I tracked 100 meters with my GPS and the existing sign didnt even come close.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 12:15:55 PM »

The boundary on the south side is still there and very obvious, if you care to look.  Easy enough to stay upstream and comply with the regs; if you want.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »

Why we crying about a few anglers fishing at the mouth of the Vedder canal when the entire Fraser river is closed to sports angling for salmon?  :o
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 08:01:43 PM by Wiseguy »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 12:42:58 PM »

Why we crying about a few anglers fishing at the mouth of the Vedder canal when the entire river is closed to sports angling for salmon?  :o

It's not a few. Its easily over 20 per day. I had a friend text me last weekend saying there was 10 plus boats with multiple anglers on each boat.

Regs are regs. You all complain about FN fisheries all the time. When it comes to non FN breaking the regs you want to turn a blind eye ? Regs are there for a reason. The Vedder mouth has fish that turn in for a quick rest before moving up river. The majority of those fish may be returning to year round protected systems. Protected for a reason.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 01:38:36 PM »

I am fine with that. It is not Canadian / US border.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 04:11:44 PM »

Everybody wants to post their pictures on social media. Sign of the times.

dobrolub

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 05:15:06 PM »

people will defy unreasonable and unfair restrictions

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 05:29:46 PM »

people will defy unreasonable and unfair restrictions

Fair enough. I've done it in the past. I understand.

DanTfisherman

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 02:23:23 PM »

In recent years, I have begun to get involved in the fishery in the lower Sumas.  A buddy has a boat and we head down here a number of times in September and October.  We are well aware of the regs, where the boundary is, and openings and the dates they take place.  Each year we witness numerous blatant infractions.  Some of these are from clearly marked company guide boats.  As we head up the river from the mouth of the Fraser, we politely remind people that this area is closed, the date it should be opening, and where the boundary markers are.  I can tell most people fein a bit of dismay and say they were not aware, but then make no effort to move or correct their "mistaken oversight".  A number of anglers just turn away and ignore us, avoiding eye contact.  Some just outright curse us, swear at us, and tell us to get on our way.

I guess it is more a sign of the times, but in many ways, fishing often just comes down to an honours system, and when you cannot assist people to find the way to be honourable, you just have to learn to not take it personally.

Dano

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 02:58:32 PM »

In recent years, I have begun to get involved in the fishery in the lower Sumas.  A buddy has a boat and we head down here a number of times in September and October.  We are well aware of the regs, where the boundary is, and openings and the dates they take place.  Each year we witness numerous blatant infractions.  Some of these are from clearly marked company guide boats.  As we head up the river from the mouth of the Fraser, we politely remind people that this area is closed, the date it should be opening, and where the boundary markers are.  I can tell most people fein a bit of dismay and say they were not aware, but then make no effort to move or correct their "mistaken oversight".  A number of anglers just turn away and ignore us, avoiding eye contact.  Some just outright curse us, swear at us, and tell us to get on our way.

I guess it is more a sign of the times, but in many ways, fishing often just comes down to an honours system, and when you cannot assist people to find the way to be honourable, you just have to learn to not take it personally.

Dano

Well said.

Also note this weekend at the mouth was busy. Lots of boats still out of bounds. No enforcement at all. Even on the weekend. With all the guide boats we ALL see out there, you have to think they would care a out their business and reputation no ? The guides know it's not enforced. That's why they do it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 03:11:58 PM by Hike_and_fish »

96XJ

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 06:58:52 PM »

In recent years, I have begun to get involved in the fishery in the lower Sumas.  A buddy has a boat and we head down here a number of times in September and October.  We are well aware of the regs, where the boundary is, and openings and the dates they take place.  Each year we witness numerous blatant infractions.  Some of these are from clearly marked company guide boats.  As we head up the river from the mouth of the Fraser, we politely remind people that this area is closed, the date it should be opening, and where the boundary markers are.  I can tell most people fein a bit of dismay and say they were not aware, but then make no effort to move or correct their "mistaken oversight".  A number of anglers just turn away and ignore us, avoiding eye contact.  Some just outright curse us, swear at us, and tell us to get on our way

Dano

Where I usually fish I have come across a couple of incidents in the last few years , one where a angler was going to bonk a wild coho , he was waiting for me to say go ahead , the other the angler killed a second coho when the limit was one - he tried to tell me it was a chinook because it was so big , both of these anglers are seasoned fishermen and were just playing ignorant

Good on you Dano for trying to educate , if they ignore you that’s on them